No announcement yet.

Martial Arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

there are many cases of course. i liked the one of hoost vs that fat guy, forgot the name of him. hoost used to rope to jump while the fat one used it to stop from falling down haha
    or kaoklai vs ignashov 2004.. barely missed the highkick

its speed vs power in those cases

Comment

Originally posted by Zloy
      I've said it about both karate and muay thai. Karate is force vs force. Just look at their blocks and attacks, also watch some fullcontact sparrings where they dont jump around each other but close in and start mashing. Also, karateists do not stop after punching like they do on during practicing, at least if one did it in a fight it'd look funny =).
      No disrespect to you but you are mistaken about karate. It is more about finesse than force. For example, in the instance of blocks karatekas don't just stand there and block the attack it's more deflecting it because we avoid the attack and block hence the real block is the avoidance of the attack. As for attacks although there is force involved with them they are more about pinpointing a certain target and zoning in on it.

As for sparring there is some of the mashing that you say but not nearly as much as you make it seem. Sparring is more about being opportunisitc and taking your shot when the chance comes. Lastly, about the stopping after every blow, karate (at least my style) is all about making the first shot count, in that your opponent is finished after you hit him. This is in reality of course if ever in a fight outside the dojo.

Again, no disrespect to you Zloy.

Comment

Originally posted by Adamant
        No disrespect to you but you are mistaken about karate. It is more about finesse than force. For example, in the instance of blocks karatekas don't just stand there and block the attack it's more deflecting it because we avoid the attack and block hence the real block is the avoidance of the attack. As for attacks although there is force involved with them they are more about pinpointing a certain target and zoning in on it.

As for sparring there is some of the mashing that you say but not nearly as much as you make it seem. Sparring is more about being opportunisitc and taking your shot when the chance comes. Lastly, about the stopping after every blow, karate (at least my style) is all about making the first shot count, in that your opponent is finished after you hit him. This is in reality of course if ever in a fight outside the dojo.

Again, no disrespect to you Zloy.
        Adamant, speed and technique count as well, but to make a hit count, you need to apply enough force - even when you hit some zone on head or chest succesfully, if the hit was without enough force, it won't do what you wanted. There's nothing wrong with it, it's just the principle of striking styles - you need to hit hard enough, also you need to be hardy enough to withstand at least some unblocked hits. As for finishing fights with one blow -
        the idea itself is alluring, because in any case first attack will give advantage, but knocking out a guy from first hit is kind of hard, especially when he is not willing that. If you manage to do it fast and unexpected before it's still in the talk phase, its ok - but usually first you'll need to make your opponent open himself in some way to make a clean hit.

1:Eeks> well that bichix was trying to start conversation with me today
        1:Eeks> and got excited when i said i wanna go drink today =/
        1:Eeks> but i didn't propose anything
        1:Zloy> Why
        1:Eeks> i didn't have anything to fill that box zloy

Comment

I'am practicing Capoeira for some years, and think it's pretty cool! Join capoeira all!

Comment

Originally posted by SEAL
            it was mentioned that muay thai is force vs force, he did not say karate is force vs force. big difference.

weight is very important with MT hence the different weight classes. when i (being 68 kg) go sparring vs a 0.1 ton guy (sounds cooler than 100 kg) the last thing i want is a hook on my jaw. hell, even blocking his kicks with my shin would simply knock me over. of course you got tactics (lighter is faster) and skill level is a factor but weight means alot.

i dont know much from karate but dont you stop right after you hit a person (a point)? in this way weight would be more a disadvantage.

and in k1, ordinary guys beating up a 2m large 160kilo's heavy opponent? you're talking about a super featherweight beating up a super heavy weight? can ya give me a name/match cause this is really, really bullshit.
            Ok.. my reply.
            Karate => in matches, you will stop right after you hit someone SERIOUSLY. Not just touch them. It's about scoring points with hitting someone. So when you hit someone, they pause it, give u the point(s) and than continue the match. But sometimes you are fighting like 5 minutes before you score a point. It's not that every hit will give u a point.

And in K1 : Bob Sapp (342lbs here) versus some Dutch fighter. I believe it was Ernesto Hoost who is 238lbs (here)
            7:Barton> hi tats
            7:Barton> still no smod?
            7:Barton> :(
            7:Tatsumaru uk> heh no
            7:Barton> guess u need to do more ass kissing

3:Harder> we could be like tom cruise in top gun with team speak
            3:Harder> "MAVRIC I GOTTA BIRD ON MY BACK!!"

8:Ghast> LOL METALKID LOOKS LIKE A WEASEL ROFLROFL

Comment

Originally posted by Anduril.
              Ok.. my reply.
              Karate => in matches, you will stop right after you hit someone SERIOUSLY. Not just touch them. It's about scoring points with hitting someone. So when you hit someone, they pause it, give u the point(s) and than continue the match. But sometimes you are fighting like 5 minutes before you score a point. It's not that every hit will give u a point.

And in K1 : Bob Sapp (342lbs here) versus some Dutch fighter. I believe it was Ernesto Hoost who is 238lbs (here)
              Maybe it was another Dutch fighter called Remy Bonjasky who is 239lbs. Not sure anymore. I just noticed Ernesto Hoost doesn't have hair, while the guy I'm talking about did have hair. I'm sure it was a Dutch fighter though...
              7:Barton> hi tats
              7:Barton> still no smod?
              7:Barton> :(
              7:Tatsumaru uk> heh no
              7:Barton> guess u need to do more ass kissing

3:Harder> we could be like tom cruise in top gun with team speak
              3:Harder> "MAVRIC I GOTTA BIRD ON MY BACK!!"

8:Ghast> LOL METALKID LOOKS LIKE A WEASEL ROFLROFL

Comment

Working...
              X