Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I need youguyses opinions on what the best distribution of Linux is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tyflyias
    Just talk to a pro at your local Best Buy / FutureShop or any other retail store. You aren't going to know what's best for you until you ask people who sell it everyday.
    That's so damn funny, I almost pissed my pants.
    Seriously.
    There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

The SuSe distribution I used had a Word Processor (not Microsoft Word but something similar) and a Spreedsheet Tool combined in one program. It must have been some download my friend had.
      Originally posted by Jeenyuss
      sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
        What sort of software can you get for/run on a Linux system. Can you get all the normal Word Processor, Spreadsheet etc.. And what about games? I assume most Windows games won't run on a Linux system (I may be mistaken).
        Linux has anything windows have adn much, much more. You can have a word processor spreadhseet and all that crap running on your linux you can hae games running on your linux plataform but they cant be the same as for windows... there are some problems with linux when it comes to the connectivity of some devices like cameras and stuff usp ports and that kind of things because the I/O system in linux is way diferent than the one for windows and you might have to check the internet for some of that related stuff... i think some of those problems have been reolved in the later versions
        but you never know... well so you say whats good about linux that windows don't have... well in linux you have access the source of the OS so you can make programs to run in that OS much more easely.... second you can customise all your pc with MILLIONS of diferent FREE programs either for running music for writting stuff for doing whatever you want and i do mean WHATEVER YOU WANT since having a database to running a server to anything you cant do in windows at least not as easely and cheap... third its much more easier to program in linux no matter what language you are programing... with exception of VB probably :P fourth you are not supporting Bill Gates fifth you get much more experience in using computers and all the "command line" environment than in windows sixth this operating system is much more safe and stable than windows seventh if you are interested in computers and stuff you can understand how a OS works by knowing Linux... and many many more advantages.
        A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
          What sort of software can you get for/run on a Linux system. Can you get all the normal Word Processor, Spreadsheet etc.. And what about games? I assume most Windows games won't run on a Linux system (I may be mistaken).

There are a number of alternatives to Microsoft Office for Linux platforms. OpenOffice is probably the most well known. It's based on Sun's StarOffice, which is also pretty popular. Most graphical desktop enviroments come with some form of office software, like KOffice (KDE) and GnomeOffice (GNome) etc. Compatibility with Microsoft Office's file formats isn't optimal, but most people find it acceptable. I'm not one of those people.

Not nearly all games will run properly or at all under Linux. If the engine supports OpenGL the game can probably be made to run under Linux. If the engine supports DirectX only, it most likely will not run at all. If you use an implementation of the Windows API (WINE), or more specificaly an implementation of the DirectX API (WineX) you may get some DirectX games to run. Often with severe performance hits.
          Last edited by Fallen Angel; 02-06-2005, 06:35 PM.
          There's no place like 127.0.0.1

Comment

I think I know some people who play Doom 3 on linux.
            last.fm - Keeping it short

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
              The SuSe distribution I used had a Word Processor (not Microsoft Word but something similar) and a Spreedsheet Tool combined in one program. It must have been some download my friend had.
              suse comes with openoffice.
              Throughout time, there’s been
              crimes, throughout our history
              But not as great, as the one of late, affecting you and me
              Once a nation proud and free, and now we’re weeping sorrow’s tears
              Tragedy’s approaching, it’s worse than all your fears

Come on my countrymen
              Come on and take a stand
              Don’t let ‘em take away your land

the Wenger bus is coming
              and all the kids are running
              from London to Manchester
              cos he's a child molester

fuck islam

Comment

Originally posted by eehh
                suse comes with openoffice.
                Well there you go.
                Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Working...
                X