Effigy of soldier torn down after hanging from a house

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Effigy of soldier torn down after hanging from a house

An effigy of a soldier hanging from a house in Sacramento's Land Park neighborhood that sparked controversy over freedom of expression is now gone.

An unknown person tore down part of the camouflage soldier fatigues Wednesday morning, and later someone on a motorcycle took the rest of the political protest, according to neighbors. Throughout the day, people from outside the neighborhood drove by to see it or take it down themselves.

"I'm a huge military supporter and I've got some good friends over in Iraq right now," said Mike Coates, 25, of Fair Oaks. Coates heard about the issue on the radio and drove by Wednesday afternoon with a ladder in his pick-up truck to take down the effigy. It was already gone.

"I'm outraged," said neighbor Marque Cohen, who has contacted police and city officials to get the effigy and other signs and flags taken removed. "We have our men and women in uniform that are dying to protect our rights and I think it's a disgrace that somebody would be allowed to hang a U.S. soldier in effigy in front of their house."

The city code enforcement office and city attorney reviewed the case and found there was nothing to be done, according to City councilman Rob Fong.

Next-door neighbor Pete Miles said there was sure to be more signs of protest from the house's owners.

"To all of us the first amendment is one of our vital rights but there are other important things in life such as getting along with your neighbor," Miles said.

But other neighbors said they either agreed with or didn't mind the political protests.

People trespassing to take down the sign was more worrisome, said a neighbor named Ann, who declined to give her last name for fear of retribution.

She said her son is an Army convoy driver who recently returned from Iraq, fighting for "our ability to express ourselves without being intimidated or have someone come onto our property."

"I don't necessarily agree with everything he puts up there, but it's his right," she said.

A sign that accompanied the uniform saying "Your Tax Dollars At Work" remained, having fallen in a neatly kept flower bed. Iraqi and Palestinian flags remained hung from inside the windows.

For more details, see Thursday's Bee.
    Just wondering what you guys think. It's a pretty big story here in town, but someone I bumped into said it made the national news.

The odd thing is the house this happened at is a block away from my dad's house, and I drove by it by accident yesterday. It was a pretty big front window display....about a 4.5x3 flag. I can see why the neighbors were pissed off, but being pissed off doesn't give you the right to tresspass and vandalize a piece of controversial art. Especially the irony involved between the motivation of taking it down out of respect for the soldiers, and how that act of vandalism shows a lack of respect for freedom itself.

It isn't art, it's a protest.
    It's against the law to take it down, and I hope people get arrested and sentenced to get it in the ass prison that take it down.
    Free speech means free speech.

If I lived near there, and had the ability, or if I was the guy that had the protest up, I'd take a photo of every person coming into my yard, their car, and the license plate on their car, and turn it in to police.
    "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
      It isn't art, it's a protest.
      It's against the law to take it down, and I hope people get arrested and sentenced to get it in the ass prison that take it down.
      Free speech means free speech.

If I lived near there, and had the ability, or if I was the guy that had the protest up, I'd take a photo of every person coming into my yard, their car, and the license plate on their car, and turn it in to police.
      They got the guy on camera, the police are looking for him to charge him with theft.

What, you don't think art can come in the form of protest? Although the discussion of what is art is completely a philisophical one.

Comment

50 cals solve things like this.
        sage

Comment

you mean shooting your hippie neighbors? or shooting your redneck tresspassers?

Comment

both

Comment

Originally posted by jesus=terrorist
              you mean shooting your hippie neighbors? or shooting your redneck tresspassers?
              No they're fine, I mean shooting dabram.
              sage

Comment

Originally posted by Dabram
                both
                :wub:
                My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

i find most people (myself including) caring too much about things that don't matter. i dont see why anyone should really care either way (whether they're in agreement or disagreement), i mean "oooo he hung something on his house to make a political statement im going to get infuriated and tresspass and steal it" ok gj.

at the same time, why not send a letter to your local congressman explaining your views and asking what can be done or something rather than putting up an effegy of a soldier with "our tax dollars at work" or do something else constructive? all these stunts do is make people turn a deaf ear to your cause.

then you have the media making a big deal out of it. its like a vicious circle of idiocy...man goes out of his way to make political statement, thief goes out of his way to rob him, media goes out of its way to make a big deal out of it...
                  top 100 basers list

Comment

Well in the past, acts of an anti-American nature have been banned. Think WWI and II, but still America really should have thought before giving complete freedom of speech and expression to the people. There will always be the people who "Think outside the box" and try to be different and difficult. I can tell you right now that the people who mounted the effigy in the first place will no longer be respected or recognized completely in their community, so shouldn't that be punishment enough?
                    There are countless numbers of loopholes in what is freedom of speech, and free expression.
                    I myself support the freedom of speech/expression view of this, being an artist myself, but really can't defend it because I do love my country as well.
                    Some controversial issues really shouldn't be bothered with, because we as people can't come to a complete compromise.
                    After all, we decided to seperate ourselves as nations, and chose warfare as means of soultion to problems. Whose really to punish here?

Comment

There's never been complete freedom of expression and speech in U.S.

Putting up a protest in such a manner does fall under 1st admendment though, so the right to do that does exist. However, I don't think its necessarily the most constructive thing you can do, and it sure pisses off local people.
                      - k2

Comment

Working...
                      X