Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

TW Artists part III: When mods attack (read the first post)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Troll King View Post
    Having experience on your resume is never a bad thing. In this industry, that matters a lot more than your education really.

I feel kind of lucky with my experience in journalism school after reading Squeezer and Cops' comments. In my school's program, the focus is almost entirely on producing a full, finished product.
    huh?

I'm doing the following

- Producing a 15 minute news show, soon to be 30 (weekly)
    - Producing a 30 minute mag show (weekly)
    - Producing a 15 minute Documentary (due in a few weeks, will upload to show people asap)
    - Creating 1:30 second news stories, similar to that on any station (beat reporting) (weekly)
    - Broadcast Producing: I chose to focus on the production aspect of broadcast instead of on air skills. It's not necessary since all we do is producing, but it does help a person learn how to become a producer, director, and chase reporter.

On top of that I have an elective and a job in my program. Everything we do is about creating something.

In my news show class I haven't learned every single position in a news studio but I'm well on my way. I've been a director, graphics, switcher, writer, editor, and audio person. I'm the reporter next week then I'll be the producer, and then the week after that a sports anchor.
    Last edited by Cops; 10-23-2008, 08:47 PM.
    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

• Sorry Cops, I didn't mean to diminish the work you're doing in your program. Or Squeezer either.

Oh, and for the original purpose of this thread, a couple of things I've created recently:

Comment

• I'd be down for some classes that didn't involve me 'creating something'. I need a few courses that involve me nose deep in some books.

ps; I'd do all three :]
        it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Having experience on your resume is never a bad thing. In this industry, that matters a lot more than your education really.

I feel kind of lucky with my experience in journalism school after reading Squeezer and Cops' comments. In my school's program, the focus is almost entirely on producing a full, finished product. Squeezer mentioned a seven-person team producing their campus paper. For us, it's a project for a full class of 20-odd editors with about 50 writers. Everyone has to spend a semester in their first year as a beat writer for the campus paper, even if you're heading into the radio or television journalism streams. Those in print like me had another semester on the newspaper's editing team and another semester in he magazine course producing two magazines.
          Yeah that's the way our school's official newspaper is. We're an entity of the Associate Students so we get paid whereas the big staffed paper is a class. I have yet to complete that so I'll let you know how it is when I get there.

I already have a bad experience with them. I've submitted two articles, both of which were published. They edited some of my stats and phrasing to say things I didn't necessarily intend to say. They also did this without my consent. If someone had taken offense of the way those facts were displayed, that would have reflected poorly on me as a writer, not on the staff I'm writing a guest column for. Really pissed me off.
          Originally posted by Tone
          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

• Heh... "consent". You'll get over that eventually.

Comment

Heh... "consent". You'll get over that eventually.
              It wasn't the process of changing it that bothered me so much. I wouldn't have lasted this long if I couldn't take editing (even when I may strongly disagree). I understand editors pretty much do what they want. What bothered me was there was no communication on their part to tell me that they were doing this. If we had at least emailed each other I could have told them not to skew what I was saying. They didn't know any better but that doesn't excuse lazy journalism on their part. Thus I could see a situation after they changed my stuff where they could get in trouble and dump it on me.
              Originally posted by Tone
              Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

• :wub:
                Last edited by Scurvy; 04-22-2009, 03:42 PM.

Comment

• Scurvy, nice stuff man

Originally posted by Squeezer
                  You'll be benefited by constant practice. I'd say go for it man. You seem pretty inquisitive.
                  I've been creating stories since I was a kid, but I've never fully developed them into actual novels or anything. I think if I have a fully fleshed out story, my animations will turn out better- and now since I will have the time to actually work on them, I want to get things right. So I plan to dabble in writing and get some experience. I was thinking that freelance jobs would be the way to go, they'll help me build up the experience I need in order to be a good author. Thanks for the advice, I'll definitely look into it.

And so I'm not off-topic, here we go. Just messing around in Illustrator-

My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

• A short Doc I submitted as my final assignment;

CHALK DOC

Please remember that this is a Student Doc, and that it was done was some serious time constraints. I think it was a good first shot, considering the majority (90%) of it fell on the shoulders of me and one other person.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v2mQBYHSiRc

The quality is fucking horrendous, if anyone knows where I can host a video that's more than a few gigs in size I'd appreciate the help.
                    Last edited by Cops; 04-22-2009, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• Something I created a little while back, not recently, but I'd like some opinions on it anyway.
                      (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
                      5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
                      1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
                      1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

• It's beautiful dude, really well done.

Comment

• looks like a mix of sailor mars, sailor jupiter, and sailor moon.

thumbs up though.
                          4:BigKing> xD
                          4:Best> i'm leaving chat
                          4:BigKing> what did i do???
                          4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
                          4:BigKing> ???? why though
                          4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that
                          4:BigKing> xD

Comment

• Originally posted by Galaxy Turbo View Post

Something I created a little while back, not recently, but I'd like some opinions on it anyway.
                            I could've sworn I've seen that picture before, galexy. maybe perhaps you've posted it in the past, but I know for sure it's not the first time i've seen it :-P (i might've been browsing through your deviant art profile a while back while I was looking thru someone else's)

Comment

• Originally posted by Xog View Post
                              I could've sworn I've seen that picture before, galexy. maybe perhaps you've posted it in the past, but I know for sure it's not the first time i've seen it :-P (i might've been browsing through your deviant art profile a while back while I was looking thru someone else's)
                              Yeah, it got a Daily Deviation award at deviantART and got added to people's favourites over 3000 times, so it appears on a lot of people's profiles and stuff too =P

Cheers though guys!
                              (Twerp and Duel Pasta)
                              5:dads revenge> they are both actually my virtual pet salamanders I have to feed them virtual flies 3 times a day

1: Pandagirl!> What do I say back to that
                              1: Pandagirl!> How about "lol"
                              1: winipcfg> despite "lol"'s versatility, I don't think that'd be good in the situation

If you can't beat them, eat them. ?go zombies3 - Chao <ER>

Ricko> mvp gets poppadums from weak's corner shop

Comment

• its incredible
                                Rediscover online gaming. Get Subspace

Mantra-Slider> you like it rough
                                Kitty> true

I girl with BooBiez> OH I GET IT U PRETEND TO BE A MAN

Flabby.tv - The Offical Flabby Website

Comment

Working...
                                X