Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hundreds of dead cats found in woman's yard

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey...5548185690.xml
    just put in a fake zip code or real if u want to.
    Hundreds of dead cats found in woman's yard
    E. Orange resident operates rescue agency
    Friday, May 20, 2005
    BY BRIAN T. MURRAY AND KASI ADDISON
    Star-Ledger Staff
    Over two decades, Marlene Kess built a reputation in Manhattan as a caregiver of last resort for homeless and dying cats. If her rescue and adoption agency, KittyKind, couldn't place a sick animal, she took it home herself, overseeing its recuperation or caring for it until its death.

Yesterday, authorities discovered what Kess' philosophy looked like in practice. Summoned to the woman's East Orange home by a neighbor complaining about a stench, city health inspectors found 48 cats inside the house -- 38 of them in one room -- and more than 200 dead cats stuffed into garbage bags in the back yard.

The sight of so many decomposing corpses -- and the fetid odor they produced -- sickened animal-welfare officers and others who responded to the two-story home on State Street.

"Oh my God, it was awful," said Michael Fowler of the Associated Humane Societies, the state's largest shelter group. "The smell was horrible."

Kess -- the 56-year-old founder and executive director of KittyKind, which operates one of New York City's few no-kill shelters -- moved to East Orange from Manhattan in July. Dozens of cats, apparently, moved with her. More arrived while she was there.

"She claims that she takes in sick cats -- cats with feline leukemia -- and that she is a known rescuer who people will bring their cats to when they're dying," said Sgt. Joseph Bierman of the New Jersey Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

When those cats did die, they went into large, heavy-duty garbage bags. Then they went into the yard, which backs to a parking lot used by the East Orange Board of Education and the East Orange Community Charter School.

Bierman said he counted 21 garbage bags, each containing 10 or more vermin-infested carcasses. In some cases, he said, the cats had become so decomposed a precise number of bodies could not be determined. Kess had been placing dead cats in the yard since she moved in, Bierman said.

"I haven't seen anything quite like this," Bierman said. "Certainly it's an unusual incident."

Kess, seen arguing with animal-welfare officials outside the home, declined to comment.

She was cited for several East Orange health code violations, among them keeping an unlawful number of animals, harboring dead animals and creating a potential environmental hazard by keeping the corpses on her property, city sanitary inspector Frank Habegger said last night.

In addition, the SPCA charged her with 38 counts of failing to properly shelter cats. The counts stem from the cats being locked together in a front room. Some of the cats were healthy, while others were ill. Under state regulations, anyone keeping large numbers of animals must separate the sick from the healthy.

Ten other healthy cats were roaming free in the house.

Both investigations were continuing. This morning, public works crews were expected to remove the carcasses from the back yard, and necropsies were to be performed on some of the animals to determine a cause of death, said Darryl Jeffries, a city spokesman.

Kess was allowed to keep the 48 living cats in her home because she said she would separate the sick and healthy animals, Bierman said. SPCA officers were planning to return to the home to ensure she does, he said.

She apparently planned to bury the corpse-laden garbage bags in a large hole that had been recently dug in the back yard, Bierman said.

"It was almost like a grave," he said, describing it as about 5 feet deep and 7 feet wide. Kess told investigators she planned to plant a tree in the spot but hadn't yet gotten around to buying one, Bierman said. A handyman employed by Kess told investigators he dug the hole for a pool, the investigator said.

Kess is well-known in cat rescue circles in Manhattan, where KittyKind operates a shelter within a Petco at Union Square. A longtime resident of Greenwich Village, she has been quoted frequently in small community newspapers about her efforts -- and struggles -- to care for cats that nobody else wants.

"Animal overpopulation is a big problem," she told one community newspaper, the New York Resident, in 2002. "People are very irresponsible."

Despite the difficulty placing cats, she has criticized New York City's high euthanasia rate, and she has championed the idea of seeing cats through even terminal illnesses.

Not all animal-welfare advocates agree with that philosophy.

"There are some things worse than death for animals, especially when they are sick and people are trying to needlessly extend their lives because they want to save every animal," said Roseanne Trezza, executive director of the Associated Humane Societies. "They refuse to recognize that we simply can't save them all, no matter how much we all care for these creatures, and no matter how much it hurts to euthanize them."
    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Didn't feel like reading all of that, but that's disgusting.
    Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
    1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
    1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
    1:Chao <ER>> at all
    1:Mantra-Slider> chao
    1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
    Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
    Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Was anyone else reminded of the crazy cat lady in simpsons when they read this thread title?

Comment

I actually thought of that, heh.
        Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
        Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Originally posted by pandagirl89
          Didn't feel like reading all of that, but that's disgusting.
          well i bolded the part you would read, but i cant do anymore than that to make u read it...
          thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

Yes, I did read the bolded part, and the first few paragraphs.

Why are we discussing how much I read? ^-^
            Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

damn that bitch must love pussy...

Comment

theyre just cats. keeping that many corpses on her property's kinda gross but other than that just let the woman have her jollies

Comment

Better than the hundreds of dead 8 year old girls Bilbo undoubtably has in his yard.
                  Originally posted by Tone
                  Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

I'm hungry now
                    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                    ---A few minutes later---
                    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                    9:Kim> UM
                    9:Kim> i didn't
                    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by iKillburger
                      theyre just cats. keeping that many corpses on her property's kinda gross but other than that just let the woman have her jollies
                      wtf. u are an idiot.
                      thread killer

Comment

Well she actually worked for animal well fare although she didnt had the means to get rid of the corpses of the dead cats... it's a shame she hadn't received support to give those cats to an animal shelter although i find it quite irresposible to let the dying carcass in the backyard knowing that it might produce deseases to those nearby.
                        A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

cant stand cats.
                          can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

She bit off more than she could chew, and couldn't handle the jandal.
                            Breaking health regulations are pretty serious things. If one of the free, healthy cats had gone wandering, met/ fought with a few other cats, various diseases could have been spread very easily. Yum yum, rabies, foot and mouth, etc.

Originally posted by Disliked
                            Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                            +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Originally posted by Theif of Time
                              Yum yum, rabies, foot and mouth, etc.
                              SARS.
                              thread killer

Comment

Working...
                              X