Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Some Grammatical Help TK

What sounds the best ....

"Given a choice of 3 different types of seeds, rock pigeons consumed almost exclusively sunflower seeds."

"Given a choice of 3 different types of seeds, rock pigeons consumed nearly exclusively sunflower seeds."

"Given a choice of 3 different types of seeds, rock pigeons consumed sunflower seeds almost exclusively."

This is for a research paper ... and I'm guessing I should change that '3' to 'three'. Other suggestions?

This is like an SAT question. (PS Hi Ilyar) I'd say #3.
    this is a dated signature

FREE GHB, PH
    (:3=

Comment

I like choice #1 the best, however, I don't think you need to say that they're "different" types of seeds. they're given the choice of 3 types of seeds. If they were the same type, it wouldn't be much of a choice, would it?
      http://www.trenchwars.org/forums/showthread.php?t=15100 - Gallileo's racist thread

"Mustafa sounds like someone that likes to fly planes into buildings." -Galleleo

Comment

Id go along with number 3, its the only one that makes any sense to me
        Jarlson of> if this game was a girl i would jerk off to it every night

nopcode> sometimes get mates round, have a few beers and play this yes
        oNe-t> YEAH
        nopcode> before going out
        funfunfun> god the fun never stops does it

MageWarrior> I'm so sexy, frog makes me lapdance for him daily

Comment

Originally posted by bloodzombie
          I like choice #1 the best, however, I don't think you need to say that they're "different" types of seeds. they're given the choice of 3 types of seeds. If they were the same type, it wouldn't be much of a choice, would it?
          good point bz

Comment

if you just get rid of that line altogether you dont have to worry about it
            can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Given the choice I'd personally go with 3, but then again I did fail English, lol.

Comment

I'm thinking number 3. Don't you have to have a subject before a proposition? The subject is the sunflower seeds, and the proposition is the part (almost exclusively) affirming that specific type of seeds were eaten.
                My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

I would say: "Given a choice of three types of seeds, rock pigeons almost exclusively consumed sunflower seeds."

In truth though, I find the phrase "almost exclusively" a bit awkward, but if you do want to use it, I would suggest putting it before either "consumed" and "sunflower seeds". If you replaced "almost exclusively" with "usually", you'll see how it might sound more natural before "consumed".

The third version is probably the best of the choices you suggested, but it might be better to end the sentence with "sunflower seeds" as it seems to be the most important part of the sentence.

EDIT for LB: Sunflower seeds is the object, not the subject. The subject is the one doing the consuming, the object is what is being consumed. And when you say "proposition" I think you meant "preposition", in which case there is no preposition. "Almost exclusively" is an adverb phrase, a prepositional phrase describes positions or placements, as in "beside the desk", "under the rainbow" or "after dinner". There is no rule about the subject needing to come before a preposition either. You're probably thinking of the rule about never ending a sentence with a preposition, which means you shouldn't end with words like "to", "before" or "with".
                  Last edited by Troll King; 06-03-2005, 07:56 PM.

Comment

TK's suggestion is right on target. Sunflower seeds being the object, it should fall as close to the verb "consumed" as possible. Other elements of the sentence (almost exclusively) placed before the verb do not lose their emphasis and the connection between consumed and seeds is not lost.
                    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

I need more help ... is the phrase "blatantly obvious" repetitive?

Comment

Yeah it is, but it's accepted as long as it is not in a formal essay. (Critique, Comparison, Analysis)
                        Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                        sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

could someone delete this? I meant to quote, but hit the big reply button instead of the ittle one button
                          Last edited by Expunge; 06-05-2005, 11:41 AM.
                          Expunge> I'M EMO!!!!!!!
                          Dark_grim> are you crying and cutting your wrist right now?
                          Expunge> >.> <.<
                          Dark_grim> DIE EXPUNGE
                          Dark_grim> DIE
                          Expunge> lol
                          Dark_grim> die!!! -stabs you-
                          Dark_grim> -STABS HARDER-
                          Expunge> LMAO!

2: Dark_grim> _/\o/ Expunge \o/\_

1:caco <ER>> sorry, sweettitties
                          1:Expunge> LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Chao <ER>> I have a crush on left eye and I just host to impress her

Comment

Originally posted by Troll King
                            I would say: "Given a choice of three types of seeds, rock pigeons almost exclusively consumed sunflower seeds."

In truth though, I find the phrase "almost exclusively" a bit awkward, but if you do want to use it, I would suggest putting it before either "consumed" and "sunflower seeds". If you replaced "almost exclusively" with "usually", you'll see how it might sound more natural before "consumed".

The third version is probably the best of the choices you suggested, but it might be better to end the sentence with "sunflower seeds" as it seems to be the most important part of the sentence.

EDIT for LB: Sunflower seeds is the object, not the subject. The subject is the one doing the consuming, the object is what is being consumed. And when you say "proposition" I think you meant "preposition", in which case there is no preposition. "Almost exclusively" is an adverb phrase, a prepositional phrase describes positions or placements, as in "beside the desk", "under the rainbow" or "after dinner". There is no rule about the subject needing to come before a preposition either. You're probably thinking of the rule about never ending a sentence with a preposition, which means you shouldn't end with words like "to", "before" or "with".
                            I agree. "almost exclusively" is a contradiction in terms, so I might recommend changing it.
                            Expunge> I'M EMO!!!!!!!
                            Dark_grim> are you crying and cutting your wrist right now?
                            Expunge> >.> <.<
                            Dark_grim> DIE EXPUNGE
                            Dark_grim> DIE
                            Expunge> lol
                            Dark_grim> die!!! -stabs you-
                            Dark_grim> -STABS HARDER-
                            Expunge> LMAO!

2: Dark_grim> _/\o/ Expunge \o/\_

1:caco <ER>> sorry, sweettitties
                            1:Expunge> LOOOOOOOOOOOOL

Chao <ER>> I have a crush on left eye and I just host to impress her

Comment

Working...
                            X