Workplace Safety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Workplace Safety

Before reading anymore, don't say who cares or anything because it's really important, especially for younger people entering the work force to know their rights and responsibilities. I'm an IAPA cerfitified level 2 worker rep at my company, and am responsible for dealing with any concerns safety hazards accident reporting etc. And i'm curious to see what other people do for safety on commitees with their respective companies. I know some people run their own business (eph) and most of you have some sort of job.

So let me ask you some simple questoins and let me compare myself and my company to you and yours.

Does your company a safety commitee?

How many people are on it?

What are the duties of members?

Have you had any critical accident happen (critical meaning fatal, broken bones, loss of limb etc)? How bad was it? any charges laid fines etc?

As a worker do you consider yourself safe? Do you take unsafe risks to get the job done faster? Are you encourage to do things quickly that you are not sure are safe??

If you saw someone doing something unsafe would you stop them?

What if it was your boss doing the unsafe work? what would you do then?

Do you use the personal protective equipment provided? or is it just if you want to use it?

Let's just discuss some things, i want to know what other people think. IS safety just a waste of time? or what.
    There once was a man from Nantucket.

Yes.

There is no less than one member for every team in the terminal, plus the SHE (Safety , Health & Environment) manager. Totalling to ~20 members of the commitee.

They raise concerns about OH&S to management. They meet on a weekly basis to talk about key OH&S issues and provide feeback to other operators who have raised an issue with them.

I haven't had anything happen to me, God forbid. Though many, many people have had accidents where there has been loss or limbs and even death.

We're not allowed to take shortcuts anymore. We're all encouraged to rat out anyone we see being unsafe. They don't even let anyone into the terminal without proper high visability workwear and safety gear. Not that safety gear matters. If you get a 28 tonne container dropped on you, you're jam whether you wear steel capped boots or not.

Mine is an industry full of heavy machinery. Sometimes no matter how safe you think you are, there's always something large and heavy ready to drop on you. Some train drivers die in derailments all the time and no level of personal safety can prepare them for a kink in the track that sends the pilot and 5000 tonne of freight crashing into the dirt. I've seen some pretty horrific derailments that make murder scenes look tame. I'll post some at a later date. I'm sure some of you would love it.
    Last edited by Rudy; 06-12-2005, 02:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Adman
      Does your company a safety commitee? No

How many people are on it? 0

What are the duties of members? None

Have you had any critical accident happen (critical meaning fatal, broken bones, loss of limb etc)? How bad was it? any charges laid fines etc? No but my back kinda hurt for a little while one time.

As a worker do you consider yourself safe? Do you take unsafe risks to get the job done faster? Are you encourage to do things quickly that you are not sure are safe?? Pretty safe. One time it was really nice outside and I had to type some stuff up on a laptop, so I went outside and sat on a bench. This scary guy walked by and I was pretty scared for awhile.

If you saw someone doing something unsafe would you stop them? Only if I liked them.

What if it was your boss doing the unsafe work? what would you do then? Giggle.

Do you use the personal protective equipment provided? or is it just if you want to use it? None provided.

IS safety just a waste of time? No
      can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Working...
      X