File-sharing ruling [Merged]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by K2Grey
    It's not as if music is a basic necessity or even a convenience, which everyone has some kind of intrinsic right to.
    off topicish
    It takes a really long time for "creative works" to end up in public domain. It's a shame that movies and music, among other things, that are apart of our cultural heritage are going to have price tags on them for quite a while, even long after the original authors are dead. While it's nice that the citizen kane dvd has cool special features, why should people who cannot afford it be unable to view arguable one of the greatest films in history? I don't think Orsen Wells would care. Now in truth alot of classic movies and (and to a limited extent, music) is available in public libraries, but as long as the studio owns the copyright it will still be a no-no to make a copy of it or download a copy.
    SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

Originally posted by Benno
      off topicish
      It takes a really long time for "creative works" to end up in public domain. It's a shame that movies and music, among other things, that are apart of our cultural heritage are going to have price tags on them for quite a while, even long after the original authors are dead. While it's nice that the citizen kane dvd has cool special features, why should people who cannot afford it be unable to view arguable one of the greatest films in history? I don't think Orsen Wells would care. Now in truth alot of classic movies and (and to a limited extent, music) is available in public libraries, but as long as the studio owns the copyright it will still be a no-no to make a copy of it or download a copy.
      Well, I would have to sympathize with you on this topic. Personally, IMHO the guilt one should feel for d/ling media off the Internet, or acquiring it in dubious methods, should depend on how long it's been since the media in question was released and whether the company still produces/makes profit off it. I don't really think too badly of someone who downloads a bunch of 15 year old NES roms.
      - k2

Comment

Does this mean AIM can be sued if I send illegal shit to my friend through it?

Comment

Probably. They'll do their best to weasel out of it though by bringing to notice an agreement that you agreed to by ignoring it, which lays all blame on you/ your friend.

Originally posted by Disliked
          Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
          +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Working...
          X