Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

In Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King...

At the end, where Frodo Pippin Bilbo Gandalf Sam and Merry are standing at the dock, and the boat with the elves is there, where are they going? Why are they going there?

Been bothering me since i saw it the night it came out, never figured it out! Help!

Sailing to the west, to the elven homeland. The hobbits got to go because they were ringbearers. Gandalf got to go because he was from there. Eventually Sam got to go too, because he also was a ringbearer.

Legolas and Gimli went later on, together, and so did treebeard I believe.

Edit: Also the why: Because it was no longer the age of elves, but became the age of men. The elves left Middle Earth, to return to whatsitsname.
    "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

why would ringbearers go? go into more detail please. and how do you know sam and them all went?

Comment

Because the magic of the ring prolongs and corrupts and perverts a being's body. It becomes part of them and they sail west, to ease their burden. It's in the appendices of the return of the king book. At least it is in my older copies. And you can find more about the specific land they sail to in The Silmarillion. In the appendices you also find that Samwise had children and the book became the Red Book of Westmarch, etc etc, and that Sam when he was old and Rose had died, shows up at the home of one of his children, turns over the book and all papers, and goes to the grey havens and catches a ship.

Edit: Yes, Smeagol would've been able to go too, if he hadn't you know.. burned to death in a volcano.
        Last edited by Sarien; 07-11-2005, 12:43 AM.

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
          Legolas and Gimli went later on, together, and so did treebeard I believe.
          I don't remember reading that part :/ Was this in the simillarion or did my copy have a few pages missing? Unless I just don't remember...

Comment

It's in the appendices just like the rest of the stuff I said. At the end of the return of the king, at least in my old copy, there are a set of appendices, that give dates and a timeline, as well as jabber on about Arwen reacting to Aragorn's death, and that's where they got the bit in the movie about Aragorn mistaking her for whatever elf when he first saw her, that's in there too.

Gimli got Arwen's place to go. Legolas and Gimli ran around middle earth afterward seeing all the crap that they wanted to see there, the caverns at Helm's deep and Fangorn, then they both sailed west, maybe in a boat legolas built or something, memory a bit fuzzy on that detail.

Reinstate Me.

Comment

I just checked my copy of rotk and bugger me, how did I miss that, lol. One day I shall read those.

Comment

And to answer the question about the name of the place, it's Valinor, the Undying Lands, kept by the Valor for the Elves, because whether they sail there by choice or are killed, Valinor is where the Elves go. Also, the Ringbearers are allowed to go to Valinor because the rings, save for the one ring yet Frodo, Bilbo and Sam were given special passage, were made by the Elves. And Gandalf is actually a bearer of the third ring of power given to the Elves, Galadriel and Celeborn(pronounced Kele born) have the other two, because you know, 3 to the Elves, 7 to the Dwarves and 9 to Men.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
                  bugger me
                  Are you serious?
                  Originally posted by Facetious
                  edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                    Are you serious?
                    That I missed it? Yeah

Comment

It was called the Thrid age I belive.
                      "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

Comment

The Third Age was the title of a PS2 Lord of the Rings Turn Based RPG, run on the Final Fantasy X engine. The story is of a generic Human, Elf, and Dwarf and their quest to like kill something? You cross paths with the fellowship, but they're just an alternate story, basically.
                        DELETED

Comment

how do you guys know that.. where you there? don't think so! If you have a little fantasy you can make it all up yourself.. at the end they go to heaving where they can fuck and drink beer 24/7
                          help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

The First Age was the time of the Elves, of Numenor(spelling is wrong I believe), Morgoth(Sauron's Master, was a Valor named Melkor), the Balrogs, Dragons, Gondolin(Elvish city), Berin and Luthien.

Second Age was the forging of the rings, Sauron rising into power, the Last Alliance of Elves and Men and the fall of Baradur and Sauron.

Third Age is when Lord of the Rings takes place.

Fourth Age is when Sauron dies(the Ring is destroyed) and Baradur falls for good and Aragorn takes his rightful place as King, reuniting the World of Men and taking over for the Elves whom have all but completely left Middle Earth.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                            .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

Read the book

Its worth it

Read them all accually

Well worth it.
                              k8> (both my dad's are gay :( )

Comment

Working...
                              X