Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turn Based RPG that's good and not Final Fantasy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Xog
    A not-so-well-known awesome turn-based RPG game for the PlayStation 2 (two) is "Disgaea:Hour of Darkness."

It's just flawless. You're a demon underlord who's father is the overloard. You were 'mysteriously' put into a dark sleep by an unknown force and while you're asleep, your father is murdered.

Laharl (the main character, you) is awaken by a sexy demon-like woman who is concearned about your whereabouts. All the demons are currently at war with eachother and you must prove your worthiness by battling the other underloards and prove your strength. You must become the Overloard of the Underworld, with a confused Angel who doesn't know evil from good on your side!

I personally love this game, my highest character is level 62. There isn't any level caps, so you can be like level 2000 and still be fighting things your level. It's unbelievable!

With items you can "go inside" the weapon/armor piece and go through different battle stages and improve the quality of your armor or weapon. There's stats and abilites and whatnot that you can improve, spells, etc.

I'd definately recommend this game to ANYONE and EVERYONE who is into RPGs, even if they dont like turn-based games.

Edit:
    you can check out http://images.google.com/images?q=disgaea&hl=en for screenshots and other pictures related to the game.
    This is my favorite game of all time, best strat RPG ever created, though La Pucelle and Phantom Brave are nice, as well as FF Tactics(Advance was crap), Disgaea is in a league of it's own.

And Xog, the level cap is actually 9999, which I got after 300+ hours of play.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
    .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

I'm glad I finally found someone else who's actually even HEARD of the game. haha

Comment

Originally posted by Torn Wing
        Oldschoo like FF3 on Sega was awesome.
        There were never any Final Fantasy games on any sega platform.
        Girl if it's alright,
        100%.

Comment

Originally posted by Broly
          There were never any Final Fantasy games on any sega platform.
          I swear there were, you just never experienced them.

Comment

Does Angband count? 10 year old turn based roguelike with ASCII symbols for graphics with permanent death and takes people 5 years to win if they do it at all
            - k2

Comment

Nethack is better though, not to mention older and more popular.

I have to brag though; I ascended in Nethack legitimately about 2 1/2 weeks after I started it. Many people play for years and never finish it. :P
              sdg

Comment

Originally posted by Xog
                A not-so-well-known awesome turn-based RPG game for the PlayStation 2 (two) is "Disgaea:Hour of Darkness."

It's just flawless. You're a demon underlord who's father is the overloard. You were 'mysteriously' put into a dark sleep by an unknown force and while you're asleep, your father is murdered.
                It definately has it's flaws, and one of the biggest one is that it's just a level grind if you want to truly pwn at the game. No amount of stratgey will get you through some items or side bosses, it will depend on how high your characters are. Transmigration is one of the best and worst aspects of this game. Transmigration resets your selected unit at level 1, but this time around, he levels up a little bit faster, and his stats go up ever so slightly higher. This is the only way to upgrade your unit's class. If you want to advance to the next class, you will have to start at level one..Or make a new character. I know it will seem an awesome idea to unlock the extreme top-tier characters, and level them up to 70 or so for the final boss, but just keep in mind that will take you through 4 or so (can't remember) different versions of each class- all from level 1.

EDIT: For instance, say you want to get a Cosmic Hero, which is the top tier/ aka ultimate form of a warrior. You'll have to get:

Warrior to 5, then trans to a Battler (start from lvl 1)
                Battler to lvl 12, then trans to a Centurion (start from lvl 1)
                Centurion to lvl 25, then trans to a Champion (start from lvl 1)
                Champion to lvl 50, then trans to a Hero (start from lvl 1)
                Hero to lvl 100, then trans to a Cosmic Hero (start from lvl 1)

Now all you have to do is train him up to the regular level of all your party members.

What about the ultimate class, the cloud/super sayian Goku motherfucker? Well I'm glad you asked, I'll tell you about the Divine Majin :

Pre-requisite: Male warrior, brawler, ninja, rogue, scout, all lvl 200+ (all 5 must exist at the same time)

Majin to 28, then trans to a Mega Majin (start fromn lvl 1)
                MM to 56, then trans to a Giga Majin (start fromn lvl 1)
                GM to 120, then trans to a Omega Majin (start fromn lvl 1)
                OM to 250, then trans to a Tera Majin (start fromn lvl 1)
                TM to 500, then trans to a Divine Majin (start fromn lvl 1)

Now you just have to get him up to the level of your Party! Won't that be fun ^_^

Don't get me wrong, it's a great idea and really interesting at first (just like the item world) , but the problem is that it gets old fast, and if you want to have the awesome stuff and classes (which you will, because the battle system is fun), you'll get tired of it all. It's just so damn repetetive. I beat the game (and I'll flaunt my e-penis levels which weren't even as awesome as I would have liked) but I can tell you near the end I just wanted to beat it and be done with it. The first 70 hours (yes, you read right) are an absolute blast and no doubt some of the most fun I've had playing. Everything after that, is the same- only less fun.
                Last edited by Liquid Blue; 07-17-2005, 09:54 AM.
                My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Disgaea is a great game... if you want to watch the Winged Slayer animation for 500 hours straight.
                  sdg

Comment

People who doesn't like FF should be shot.
                    Vagrant Story for Ps1 is good, if i remember correct.

Originally posted by Torn Wing
                    RPG's hardly keep my attention for more than an hour, unless its like Pokemon for gameboy, that game still owns.
                    Pokemon rocks, the games lately sucks, the base stats of the new pokemons are far under the old ones. Mainly kids play it, but theres a lot of things in the game thats interesting.
                    Reminds me of a time where I entered a pokemon tournament for fun, only small brats there, I raped all their pokemons and got some free games and shit, and gave all of it to my little cousin who had birthday a week after. I'm so nice sometimes. B)
                    DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                    Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                    Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                    -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

Pokemon Red/Blue was fun back in the day. Pokemon DX should be pretty good on the Cube, I'll have faith in that one. I never saw the TV show, but the gameplay is an interesting one if you can swallow your pride for just a second and sit down and play it.

And yeah Vagrant Story was some good shit back in PS1.
                      DELETED

Comment

The original Pokeman gameboy games were pretty good at the time. I didn't like Vagrant Story much though.
                        sdg

Comment

Another kick ass non FF turn based RPG is Valkyrie Profile, it was an extremely good game for PS1 and was ahead of its time. Why there is no sequel I have no idea.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
                          .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

VP had an awesome battle system, but a horribly put together story. Vagrant Story, the exact opposite IMO.
                            My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Some of the combos you can string together in Valkyrie Profile were just stunning. I actually crashed a controller because of one; it wouldn't stop vibrating after running through a long combo. The story does drag a bit at times, and when you "retire" some of your characters, I know you can follow their progress in the afterlife, but you can't help but feel detached from them. In a way, they're like your kids and you get to see them off on their own, but most of them aren't with you long enough to develop any sense of attachment.

Comment

Just made some instant noodles while I turned on my SNES emulator.
                                Found out I needed to post this.
                                You havent played a real oldschool RPG if you havent tried Tales of Phantasia and Seikendentetsu 3 (can also be called Secret of Mana 2 I think). The last one being my all time favorite :wub: . Both on SNES.
                                DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                                Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                                Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                                -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

Working...
                                X