Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The thread where I will attempt to answer questions you have regarding Christianity

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Accidental double post.

Comment

1. I don't remember who it was, maybe Saint Thomas Aquinas, but someone said god exists because he is both necessary and perfect. My question is do you think a god or gods is necessary, and why? What makes a god necessary in your life? Are you not capable of living with out a god?

2. Where does your god come from?

a. Many people attribute things as miracles or answers to their prayers when things happen that they pray for. When they don't happen, they just say it was the will of god. Why?

b. What is the point of prayer? If god answers them, is he changing his mind about how things should unfold? If he doesn't answer them, then are they useless?

3. Do you take all or some parts of the Bible literally? If yes...

a. Where did carnivores come from? And explain to me the whole dinosaurs and men coexisting, because that is clearly not what we know to be true.

b. Deuteronomy 24:16 says, "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." Then why punish us for what Adam and Eve did?

c. Plus every other Bible contradiction out there.

5. Why do so many Christians tend to use false science as an argument to convince people science is wrong or not capable of providing answers? When I was a Christian, my youth pastor filled me with arguments to use against science. Know what I later found out? He didn't have any understanding of the concepts he was telling me about.

6. Why do people in the New Testament (including Jesus) tend to quote things in the Old Testament incorrectly or quote things that were never there?

The next two I've heard before but aren’t mine, but I'd still like them answered:

1. If Christian theology and the church have a supernatural origin in an omnipotent God, then why has theology and the church evolved through naturalistic social processes over time?

2. Why is Jesus so similar to the other 15 suffering saviors of mythology? Why don't Christians believe any of the other virgin births and savior stories recorded in ancient literature? How is it that the ritual of Christian communion existed in the prior pagan ceremonies of eating the body and drinking the blood of their gods? How is it that the Christian ritual of baptism also existed in the prior pagan cults? Weren't the very defining doctrines of Christianity actually assimilated from the endemic pagan cults? Likewise, why are Easter, Christmas, the Lenten season, rogation days, and others, derived from pagan holidays? Didn't Christianity have any legitimate calendar of commemorations of its own?
      Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Why do so many Christians tend to use false science as an argument to convince people science is wrong or not capable of providing answers? When I was a Christian, my youth pastor filled me with arguments to use against science. Know what I later found out? He didn't have any understanding of the concepts he was telling me about.
        Ah, like the misapplied second law of thermodynamics.
        I've found that its mostly fundamentalist christians that are fond of misapplied science.

For the most part I never had a problem with religions, the only thing I did not understand was the significance of praying. I just can't really bring myself to do what I see as a waste of time. (ok, Continuum is an obvious exception) Things such as meditation I can see a point to: relaxation. But praying? not really my cup of tea...
        So the question is, do you set time aside simply for praying, and is it worth it?

Originally posted by Disliked
        Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
        +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Originally posted by Theif of Time
          Ah, like the misapplied second law of thermodynamics.
          I've found that its mostly fundamentalist christians that are fond of misapplied science.

For the most part I never had a problem with religions, the only thing I did not understand was the significance of praying. I just can't really bring myself to do what I see as a waste of time. (ok, Continuum is an obvious exception) Things such as meditation I can see a point to: relaxation. But praying? not really my cup of tea...
          So the question is, do you set time aside simply for praying, and is it worth it?
          I think praying is important because you always have someone to talk to if you need help or anything. I don't actually set aside time for prayer, I just do it when I need to, though I usually pray everyday, but even if it's just a short "Thank you God for everything you have done for us" type prayer, I think it's worth it.

And Bio I actually have a scripture question that I really didn't understand.

Mark 9:37

Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.

And which Bible do you have? Abby got me mine, it's a NIV Thinline Compact Bible, and she got it with gold lined pages and my name engraved in gold on the leather front cover.

"There are those who said this day would never come. What have they to say now?"
          .Halo.

Y'know... if you were any stupider, I swear death by laughter would be a real medical occurance.

Comment

rokon

Comment

Dinosaurs are mentioned in the book of Job.
              Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
              1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
              1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
              1:Chao <ER>> at all
              1:Mantra-Slider> chao
              1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
              Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
              Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Originally posted by K2Grey
                Hi Bioture, I would like to first make the disclaimer that while I am an atheist I don't see the point of engaging in extended battles over it and I certainly don't visit religious threads for the purpose of having a flamewar, etc. However, out of curiosity I have always wondered (didn't bother to actually try to find the answer though): according to the Bible (from my memory), God made Adam and Eve, etc. they were expelled from the Garden of Eden and so on. Then they had two sons, Cain and Abel. Cain kills Abel, then he goes out to the land of Nod and knows his wife. The question is, where did the wife of Cain come from?
                I've heard of educated atheists trying to discredit the book of genesis by using that very question. And if a Christian is unable to answer that question, we're basically unable to defend the scripture, and ultimately, our faith in the gospel.

And the problem is, its incredibly hard to answer. I decided to find out the answer afterwards, but came up with a lot of competing viewpoints.

Lets look at some of the facts about this question:

1) The wife of Cain MUST be his sister or niece, a female family member
                2) Adam and Eve had other children. Cain had sisters. See Gen. 5:4. Though it doesnt say when they were born. The timeframe for their birthing to children was 130 years (gen 5:3)
                3) The Jewish historian Josephus wrote that adam and eve had thirty three sons and twenty three daughters.

However the bible doesn't address directly who she was. The only answers (christian ones), are that his wife was either one of his later sisters, or nieces or great nieces since people lived a long time back then. The bible doesnt say how old he was when he killed abel, but its generally said that Adan and Eve had more children before that.
                TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by SpiderMage
                  And Bio I actually have a scripture question that I really didn't understand.

Mark 9:37

Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me.

And which Bible do you have? Abby got me mine, it's a NIV Thinline Compact Bible, and she got it with gold lined pages and my name engraved in gold on the leather front cover.
                  I'm looking at the NIV version of my bible and mark 9:37 says the same thing.

Think about the triune God. Jesus was saying that he is the child of god, and the son of man. If you welcome a child of christ, then you will welcome christ. If you welcome christ, then you also welcome the holy god that sent him. When I read it I take it as "not only do you welcome me, but you also welcome."
                  TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by pandagirl89
                    Dinosaurs are mentioned in the book of Job.

Really?????

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V
                      1. I don't remember who it was, maybe Saint Thomas Aquinas, but someone said god exists because he is both necessary and perfect. My question is do you think a god or gods is necessary, and why? What makes a god necessary in your life? Are you not capable of living with out a god?
                      Lets put it this way in an attempt to relate to you what God means... I'll try to do so as eloquently as I can.

When you were born, a baby, naked, inexperienced, what else did you have? You cried a lot right? What did you cry for? I believe that we all have the loud cry inside of us for love and acceptance, from our parents, God, or anyone. Our lives are never really happy unless we can find something perfectly divine, loving, and in knowledge for us to draw on. A lot of us let that voice we had as a child die as we become more of this world, but Jesus is calling us back when we're not satisfied with the things of this world. I can buy a new car, but it'll get old and I wont like it anymore in about 5 years. I can get a new computer, and it'll be slow in a couple of months. The things of this world only brings temporary pleasure... but God is infinite. He doesn't get old or slow or tired of ever hearing you cry with the voice He has given to your soul.

So can we live without God? Sure.

2. Where does your god come from?
                      He's always been there.

a. Many people attribute things as miracles or answers to their prayers when things happen that they pray for. When they don't happen, they just say it was the will of god. Why?
                      because God always answers your prayers in 3 ways: Yes, No, and WAIT. The last one is maybe the most painful.

b. What is the point of prayer? If god answers them, is he changing his mind about how things should unfold? If he doesn't answer them, then are they useless?
                      Anything god says, or puts to mind, or anything like that becomes reality. So God can never lie, he can never change his mind, and etc. Again God answers all prayers but it doesnt mean he's gonna give us new boots if we just pray for them.

3. Do you take all or some parts of the Bible literally? If yes...

4. a. Where did carnivores come from? And explain to me the whole dinosaurs and men coexisting, because that is clearly not what we know to be true.
                      pandagirl got that one.

b. Deuteronomy 24:16 says, "The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin." Then why punish us for what Adam and Eve did?
                      I don't understand what you're asking - the passage clearly states that sin doesnt get transferred on from generation to generation. We're all born with the same sin.

c. Plus every other Bible contradiction out there.

5. Why do so many Christians tend to use false science as an argument to convince people science is wrong or not capable of providing answers? When I was a Christian, my youth pastor filled me with arguments to use against science. Know what I later found out? He didn't have any understanding of the concepts he was telling me about.
                      You'll have to tell me more about this 'false science' he was filling your head with. Science is not wrong. But there are overzealous people out there who are afraid that science might destroy or change whatever previous little beliefs they have left. Ye of little faith...

6. Why do people in the New Testament (including Jesus) tend to quote things in the Old Testament incorrectly or quote things that were never there?
                      this question is too broad, please give me a specific case and I'll try to put it into context for you. I don't think they took to old testmant incorrectly, but rather extended on elaborating on certain passages.

The next two I've heard before but aren’t mine, but I'd still like them answered:

1. If Christian theology and the church have a supernatural origin in an omnipotent God, then why has theology and the church evolved through naturalistic social processes over time?
                      Because theology's growth over time is a process of man. Religion itself is a construct of man, which why we screw it up. This question gets branched off into a bunch of other questions regarding why religion follows darwinistic principles (branch off, dies, evolves), kills people, and why would a perfect God allow such a thing? The point to keep in mind is that God is God, and has always been God. Humans, however, our conception changes with time. We exploit, extort, and pass on truths that may not be the actual truth God wants you to find.

2. Why is Jesus so similar to the other 15 suffering saviors of mythology? Why don't Christians believe any of the other virgin births and savior stories recorded in ancient literature? How is it that the ritual of Christian communion existed in the prior pagan ceremonies of eating the body and drinking the blood of their gods? How is it that the Christian ritual of baptism also existed in the prior pagan cults? Weren't the very defining doctrines of Christianity actually assimilated from the endemic pagan cults? Likewise, why are Easter, Christmas, the Lenten season, rogation days, and others, derived from pagan holidays? Didn't Christianity have any legitimate calendar of commemorations of its own?
                      [/quote]

oooh thats a mouthful. 15 suffering saviors of mythology... let me pull up what I remember from my introduction to world religions... ok nevermind I don't remember that much.

Jesus is NOT similar because he claimed to be the SON of God, which made him on the level of God himself. He always called god "My father" instead of "our father". He didn't claim to be god, rather an extention of God's will. If the bible is looked at as a historical book, there can be two outcomes: Jesus was either a liar or he was telling the truth. If he was lying, why would he lie? Was he crazy and why did he have witnesses?
                      TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture
                        See, the problem with all your answers is they require that I believe in your god to being with. I don't. But you answered them mostly how I thought you would, and it was still interesting to see a response. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

#1. You mention life with out god and only fullfilling life with material things. But I can not believe in a god and still be happy without material things.

#2. I don't buy it.

#3. b. So if he can't change his mind, is he not all poweful?

4. a. and b. pandagirl didn't answer anything. I know dinosaurs are in the Bible. Reread the question.
                        Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Originally posted by Bioture
                          We're hypocrites because we're imperfect. Accepting Christ reveals our sins, and changes our hearts slowly... nothing is instant.
                          If we were made in God's image, then shouldn't we be perfect?
                          boo...:eek:

Comment

Originally posted by Blanke
                            If we were made in God's image, then shouldn't we be perfect?
                            No.
                            TelCat> i dont

Comment

See, the problem with all your answers is they require that I believe in your god to being with. I don't. But you answered them mostly how I thought you would, and it was still interesting to see a response. Thanks for taking the time to answer.

#1. You mention life with out god and only fullfilling life with material things. But I can not believe in a god and still be happy without material things.

#2. I don't buy it.

#3. b. So if he can't change his mind, is he not all poweful?

4. a. and b. pandagirl didn't answer anything. I know dinosaurs are in the Bible. Reread the question.
                              This is exactly the problem when you're seeking for someone to answer your questions in a worldly way thats enough for you to be content - I can't really do that.

1) I'm saying life without God will never give you lasting fulfillment.
                              2) That's ok, without the spirit, I wouldn't either.
                              3) Why would he need to change his mind if he knows everything?
                              4) I'm trying to figure out where you got the idea that the bible tells us that dinosaurs and people existed at the same time.
                              TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by gerry
                                Really?????
                                Yeah hahaha.

http://www.christiancourier.com/archives/dinosaurs.htm
                                TelCat> i dont

Comment

Working...
                                X