Speech Ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speech Ideas

I'm taking a speech communication class this quarter and I need speech ideas, topics I can talk about for 6 minutes. I go to an art school, so saying video games or anime or popular tv shows in general is out because I can guarentee you there are at least 3 others in my class doing speeches on those each week.

So what are some good topics to you? I've been trying to think of some and I can't really get any set in my head, except 1. It's basically about how the human race on a whole is disconnected and not interacting or "flowing" together as much as we should be. But I want to save that speech for near the end, for when I'm not so shitty at making speeches.

Thanks ahead of time.
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

A big one on the Forensic League topic this year is Utilitarianism versus Deontology.

I.E.:

Util - Actions are justified if it helps the greater good. for instance, we chuck terrorists into Guantanamo Bay to save America from terrorism

Deontology - If it's wrong, it's wrong. Stop torturing those poor guys at GTMO!
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

How to deal with the bum's in your city, and how today's people rely on technology too much. I can't think of anything else.

Comment

War on Iraq
        duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

An unforgettable person who changed your life.
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

nothing was said here
            Last edited by Overburn; 12-04-2005, 11:48 PM.
            Like, there was this ninja who got
            ticked off at some people who kept
            talking while he was trying to rock
            out on his guitar, so the ninja totally
            flipped out and sang at them till
            they all exploded!!! (true story.)

Comment

Almost anything from here would be fun to do a speech over (for me, anyway).
              Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome
                A big one on the Forensic League topic this year is Utilitarianism versus Deontology.

I.E.:

Util - Actions are justified if it helps the greater good. for instance, we chuck terrorists into Guantanamo Bay to save America from terrorism

Deontology - If it's wrong, it's wrong. Stop torturing those poor guys at GTMO!
                He doesn't want to present a fucking LD case! I'm assuming people need to not be put to sleep in a speech comm class.
                Reclusion
                "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

Which real-doll / orient-doll you like the most and why. A deep analysis on the differences between the dolls.
                  Jesus Christ on a pogo stick

Comment

Originally posted by Bilbo
                    Which real-doll / orient-doll you like the most and why. A deep analysis on the differences between the dolls.
                    Guy's a fairy.

Comment

Ok so tomorrow I'm going to hit them with my speech about how I believe that "Television has ignited a wildfire of medoicrity in our society". Some key points that I've gathered in the last 5 minutes-

- More and more tv channel lineups are getting a case of "Follow the leader syndrome"

- Show plots and themes are constantly getting copied so much, that the original idea gets so diluted, so recycled that you don't even have a show anymore, just mindless blather to fill a time slot

- Kids are going to, if they haven't already, pick up on the constant barrage of similar themes, characters and plot-lines. What do you think it's going to tell them about the world and life in general?

- I think programming like this promotes the sheep mentality, subconsciously suppresses the ideal of self-individuality and self-expression, essentially telling our youth that you don't have to be yourself, you simply have to be like everyone else to get by, to succeed.

- I honestly believe that our culture will be hurt if that bland, chameleon-like way of "getting by", manages to take root in our society
                      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Maybe you could make a speech about internet culture(s).

Sometimes bacteria is the only culture some people have. Sometimes its the internet.

Originally posted by Disliked
                        Imagine a world without morals... it would be like the tw community
                        +++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue
                          Ok so tomorrow I'm going to hit them with my speech about how I believe that "Television has ignited a wildfire of medoicrity in our society". Some key points that I've gathered in the last 5 minutes-

- More and more tv channel lineups are getting a case of "Follow the leader syndrome"

- Show plots and themes are constantly getting copied so much, that the original idea gets so diluted, so recycled that you don't even have a show anymore, just mindless blather to fill a time slot

- Kids are going to, if they haven't already, pick up on the constant barrage of similar themes, characters and plot-lines. What do you think it's going to tell them about the world and life in general?

- I think programming like this promotes the sheep mentality, subconsciously suppresses the ideal of self-individuality and self-expression, essentially telling our youth that you don't have to be yourself, you simply have to be like everyone else to get by, to succeed.

- I honestly believe that our culture will be hurt if that bland, chameleon-like way of "getting by", manages to take root in our society

Good subject. I think the repealing of the Fairness Doctrine in the 80's would be something worth considering discussing. The standard con argument is basically, while the law was supposed to foster balanced discussion, it actually had an opposite effect, so it was good to repeal it. The standard pro argument is that it is important to show both sides of the issue, and the lack of showing both sides of the issue has a propagandizing effect on society.

A couple things I would add to these two arguments is that with media consolidation, there is a considerable lack of diversity in viewpoints. There's very few corporations that own all the newspapers, TV stations, radio stations, movie production companies, magazines..etc---and many of them are owned by the same parent corporation. Examples of this are NewsCorp and Time Warner.

Another factor in this lack of diversity of viewpoints (and you mentioned it in your post) is with the amount of fierce competition, most media outlets tend to play follow-the-leader.

And most importantly, people don't get actual analysis of serious issues with the rapid-fire, caustic, and shallow way most TV outlets provide their information (Hannity, Crossfire, Maher, O'reilly, etc). NPR is one of the rare exceptions that devote 30-45 minute segments to any one particular issue, and they analyze them in unsalacious, academic ways.

Comment

Thanks JT, I'm going to be adding that bit about the few corporations owning everything results in lack of diversity bit, As usual, you are the man.

Comment

Originally posted by Liquid Blue
                              I'm taking a speech communication class this quarter and I need speech ideas, topics I can talk about for 6 minutes. I go to an art school, so saying video games or anime or popular tv shows in general is out because I can guarentee you there are at least 3 others in my class doing speeches on those each week.

So what are some good topics to you? I've been trying to think of some and I can't really get any set in my head, except 1. It's basically about how the human race on a whole is disconnected and not interacting or "flowing" together as much as we should be. But I want to save that speech for near the end, for when I'm not so shitty at making speeches.

Thanks ahead of time.
                              Maybe you should also make a speech as to the fact that humanity is flowing TO MUCH in the same way... globalization and it's awfull effects, lack of identity and the much antecipated death of ancient costumes and traditions...
                              A kiss is a rosy dot over the 'i' of loving.

Cyrano de Bergerac

Comment

Working...
                              X