No announcement yet.

Final Fantasy XII: Hands on results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hmmm... yeah I just watched that review, and it's pretty spot on.

75% of your time is spent in battles, like any other FF. I actually don't mind the battle system that much, but it is pretty dumbed down in this one. I'm half way through the game and I can hardly think of any times that I actually used any spells besides Cure and Berserk. There are the staple spells like Protect, Shell, as well as all of the attack spells, but 99% of the time you're better off melee fighting because the time taken to cast the spells on everyone doesn't pay off. The way I have ended up killing every boss so far is to just cast Berserk on a character (doubles their attack speed), have 1 character tank/damage and sometimes cure, and another character on full curing duty. The damage spells are almost never worth casting, because they take longer to cast and end up doing less damage overall than a melee attack. Not to mention that you're wasting precious MP that could be used for curing people.

The story, so far, is just plain fucking boring. A lot of people have been criticizing it, and for good reason. Most of the story revolves around politics, and hardly any of it around the actual characters. Of course, people then say "Well, so did FF Tactics and everyone loved it!". Sure, but FFT actually was a fun game. I am so confused as to what the hell is happening in the story now because I stopped paying attention as it was getting so boring.

I dunno. Compared to the rest of the FF series it is kinda shitty, but if you take it at face value, it is actually not that bad compared to most other RPGs. I'd still rate it somewhere near the bottom of the list of FF games tho.

EDIT: Another thing. You get about 6 characters, and you never end up using more than 3. The ones you aren't using don't gain EXP (they do gain LP). Not to mention that every character is exactly the same: none have any innate strengths or weaknesses.
    sdg

Comment

The only way to have fun with this RPG is to make insanely unique builds with each character, or do something outrageously challenging like make them all casters or all gun-wielding
      ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
      Failure teaches success.

Comment

Yep, I totally agree with you there. That might actually be fun.

I think if I ever play it again, I'm going to look at a LP grid spoiler and plan ahead to make the characters different. That's another thing: you can't even see where you're going on the grid, so you just blindly unlock things to see what is ahead.

EDIT: I thought playing the game with just Vaan might be challenging, but I think some of the bosses would just be impossible.
        sdg

Comment

Hahahaha dude...just think about the Tomb of Raithwall, as soon as the wall sleeps you or just banishes you, its game over =)
          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
          Failure teaches success.

Comment

IMO, FF9 was the best. I liked the fact that every character had a distinct role, and you had to mesh together the best possible combination for every fight. FF7 and FF8 always bothered me because I ended up making all the characters pretty much alike (especially in FF8 where all I did was cast Guardian Forces).

In FF9 only two characters could summon, and only one character could do black magic, so thus you had to use your characters abilities with each other.

BTW, best party was Zidane, Dagger, Vivi, and Steiner.

edit: Plus I liked the fact that the game didn't take itself too seriously. It was definately one of the more light hearted Final Fantasy games.

Oh, and FF10 sucked, except for Blitzball.
            Originally posted by Tone
            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Well apparently FFXII is the only Final Fantasy and PS2 title to recieve a perfect 40/40 from acclaimed Japanese magazine Weekly Famitsu. The other five that have recieved perfect scores are: Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Soul Calibur, Vagrant Story, Zelda: Wind Waker, and Nintendogs. Motherfucker!
              Originally posted by Vatican Assassin
              i just wish it was longer
              Originally posted by Cops
              it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

Comment

That is a pretty questionable list... I think the Japanese have way different opinions of games than we do. Most of them seem to think that Final Fantasy 10 is the best game of all time. I mean, I liked it a LOT, but the best game ever? Not likely.

A perfect score for FF12 would imply that the game itself is perfect. Sure, its just their opinion, but I really don't see how someone could call the battle system perfect. 90% of the time it behooves you to ignore most of your skills and just melee pound the monster until it dies. I'd love to read the translated version of their review.

Anyway, you might as well just get the game. If you've liked FF games up until now, you'll probably at least enjoy it. I still can't help but think that people would be bashing it a lot more if it didn't have the Final Fantasy name branded on it. All you need to do is take a shit in a box, label it Final Fantasy, and people the world over will fallatiate it. See; Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within.
                Last edited by Stabwound; 10-31-2006, 05:02 PM.
                sdg

Comment

Yeah I know, I'm just debating it a lot because funds are short and so is my time. And as I kinda said earlier, if FFVI, the "best game in the series," can't maintain my interest I sincerely doubt a flashy hack-n-slash will be able to sustain me. Perhaps I'm just too old for it now, perhaps I'm over-analyzing it, perhaps I probably should just get the game for myself. In any case, I appreciate all the input. I really just want to be able to love a game like I was able to love some of the playstation Square titles, neglecting sleep and food to play. It's probably just a pipe dream now. So it goes.
                  it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

Comment

I went and bought it anyway because I am a big vagina.

Comment

Well, heh. Don't worry about what I said, because you might end up liking it a lot anyway. Just be prepared for a game that is way different than any other FF.
                      sdg

Comment

I have portfolio work to do and then more of the game, but I'll just say this-

Think a bastard child of Vagrant Story style graphics (only better, lol) and cutscenes, FFT music and FFXI battle system, only better. I'm only 3 hours in so I can't say much for the plot, but the FMV's are fucking sweet. I'm talking camera angles, fights and level of quality.

mmmm I want to dive in more, ttyl :wub:
                        My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

You can begin to comprehend what the Japanese perceive as a good RPG just by watching their tv shows/series'. They love tear-jerking dramas, FFX had one, so the story itself elevated the game to high levels.
                          ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
                          Failure teaches success.

Comment

Haha, I was right.

http://boards.gamefaqs.com/gfaqs/gen...p?board=459841

Filled with people whining about how the game is disappointing.
                            sdg

Comment

WEll I have nt startewd it yet but I will keep ytou informed.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim View Post
                                You can begin to comprehend what the Japanese perceive as a good RPG just by watching their tv shows/series'. They love tear-jerking dramas, FFX had one, so the story itself elevated the game to high levels.
                                FFX wasn't a tear-jerking drama...
                                My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Working...
                                X