Final Fantasy XII: Hands on results

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Final Fantasy XII: Hands on results

I just got done with the demo of FFXII and I must say, I am very, very pleased with what they've done with it. The game seems to have taken the core FFXI gameplay, which was horrible, but then, get this, they actually made it something that is fun to play.

The levels seem to be mission based, like FFX-2, where you go into a battle area, you have a few objectives to accomplish, and you have a boss battle. During your fights you have the option to use the Active Time or Wait Time battle systems. Basically, you just say if you wanna have the game pause for you when you're looking thru the menus, or do you want the game to keep going while you are browsing your options. I couldn't seem to find any sort of inventory/equipment menu (usually the default Triangle button) that gave me the status of my characters, with an options screen.

When you enter battle, you control the leader (who you can change on the fly) and then have the AI control the other two, and you can quickly jump over and just give a quick, specific action order to each one while fighting. All of this just melts together very nicely.

You get 2 missions in the demo, one in wait time the other in active time to get a handle on the differences. The first mission was set on a beachfront with mandagoras, flying fish, shaman-type creatures, and large horse creatures. The goal was to lure out the boss called the "Stonecrusher", a large Tyranasaurus Rex-like monster by killing 3 large horses on the map.

When the dinosaur came out, I then used the leader's, Vaan, summon skill which was a large earth-based combatant called Hashmal. He was a large stone creature, with mossy growth on it that threw rocks or punched the dinosaur with his large claws. Unfortunately, the dinosaur couldn't withstand the beating it gave to stay around for the summon to do his final spell. And just something of note, when a character summons a creature, the other 2 party members disappear for the time being until the summon is dismissed.

The second mission had me with a group of 3 different characters led by Ashe, with another summon. Their goal was to traverse this dungeon, fighting many creatures along the path, to fight a large Adamante to obtain the "dragon key"... oooohhh.

Using that key, I found the Ancient Door which opened up to the boss battle with the giant Ring Wyrm ... no, not a ringworm, but a giant Dragon-like creature with a large, metal ring around it's neck (very similar to Tira from Soul Calibur 3's weapon). I then threw up the summon for Ashe which was a large fire-based creature that sorta resembled a witch doctor on steroids. After having the summon put a whooping on the wyrm, the summon, Belias, then used its ultimate power of "hellfire" that just obliterated the monster in grand fashion (as you would normally see in any Final Fantasy, 7 and on).

After defeating the wyrm, I was treated to a second trailer giving more cut scenes and spots of gameplay. I can't really tell what the story is about, except a rival nation attacks your nation and all the other nations surrounding, with yours being the last to fall. 2 Years later the princess wants to be kidnapped by some Sky Pirates (yes, lots of airships in this one) to be a rebelious youth, I suppose, and the Judges (think FF Tactics) have something to do with this as well. The planet is called Ivalice, not unlike Final Fantasy Tactics, but the writers claim that the two worlds have nothing to do with eachother. I guess we'll just have to wait and see until next year for more on the new Final Fantasy XII. I'm excited as shit, and I thought it was gonna suck.
    DELETED

Almost the entire concept of the game is derived from FFXI. FFXI has become one of the most popular MMORPGs today, the battle system is amazing dameon, dont hate on it just cause you sucked :P

Do you know how many people bought Dragon Quest VIII just for the demo?
    Girl if it's alright,
    100%.

Comment

Anything past FFIV (or V? The SNES numbering sucks) cannot be taken seriously.
      Originally posted by Jeenyuss
      sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

I loved FFXI but I'm not so sure about incorporating realtime battle into FFXII, I like to think and plan ahead.

Comment

Disliked, i know what you mean. But the age of turn-based combat is almost extinct nowadays on the MAJOR consoles, and it really bites. Everything is live, action paced and in your face. You have to make quick decisions
          Girl if it's alright,
          100%.

Comment

I think they could have stream-lined the character swapping system. I found it awkward to change between characters through menus when they could have just assigned a single button to hot-swap between them. Of course, the demo didn't give a clue towards how often we'd need to switch characters so it might not be that important. With real-time action like this, the less time you need to spend manipulating menus, the better.

Comment

I agree.
              TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
              TelCat> hoes get paid :(
              TelCat> i dont

Comment

Originally posted by Disliked
                I loved FFXI but I'm not so sure about incorporating realtime battle into FFXII, I like to think and plan ahead.
                There are 2 modes, like I said above.

Wait Mode: When you mess with a menu, the game freezes, so you can think and plan out your attack.

Active Mode: Just a go-for-it type of mode, where everything goes in real time, no stopping.
                DELETED

Comment

Sounds good. The only thing that sounded a bit bad was the summon part.
                  They should atleast have some of the old summons from the earlier series, instead of making new ones with lame names (Shiva, Ifrit, Bahamut etc). Cause it gives a typical FF feeling like Moogles and Chocobos (FFVIII having the shitty MOMBAS instead).

And the story sounds kinda FFIX/FFT-ish. Airships, sky pirates, kidnapped princess, judges.

Originally posted by Disliked
                  I know what you mean, Omega weapon and such in FFVIII for example, without the hero potions that made you invisible (I've never used them actually, I save all kinds of items just to have them in all FFs, I rarely even use potions, maybe 1 or 2 endgame, done that with all FFs I've played).
                  You would get assraped if this battle was in real time.

EDIT: Only FF newbies play on "wait mode", I've never tried it before. I don't even bother playing fast on active mode :P
                  Last edited by RATTY...; 11-21-2005, 04:47 AM.
                  DuelBot> You have defeated 'nessy' score: (20-11)
                  Nessy> i left for 3 years clean
                  Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

1:King Baba> i know my name is King Baba, but you can call me Poseidon

I Luv Cook> I'll double penetrate your ass:/

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Broaden your horizons, read my blog:
                  -> http://foldhesten.mybrute.com/

Comment

I usually left it on wait cause I know I usually had times where I had to leave in the middle of a lenghty battle and I could pause things by just leaving a menu up.
                    DELETED

Comment

Some nerd on DC was all exited and said that a system similar to materia was gonna be in this game, wonder if that's true?
                      Nessy> came back got on rampage, won twl, #1 in elim for 3 weeks, not even tryin, gg

Bitterness is like cancer. It eats upon the host. But anger is like fire. It burns it all clean.

Comment

The materia system was always the best..... in fact VII is the best, end of story.
                        Can't wait for these remakes and such...
                        STARKITTY
                        A White Mage

Buy edu backlinks

Comment

Originally posted by RATTY...
                          EDIT: Only FF newbies play on "wait mode", I've never tried it before. I don't even bother playing fast on active mode :P
                          Final Fantasy games are about as difficult as one of those "Play as you read" Adventure books. Waste enough time leveling up or improving your items and you can wade through any area. WoW is the same if you get enough people to join your raid.

Woo pi doo. Great challenge.
                          gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                          gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                          gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Originally posted by StarKitty
                            The materia system was always the best..... in fact VII is the best, end of story.
                            Can't wait for these remakes and such...
                            Materia system was cool, but i like the avatar system of FFXI much better, which is going to be used in FFXII
                            Girl if it's alright,
                            100%.

Comment

Originally posted by GuruMeditation
                              Final Fantasy games are about as difficult as one of those "Play as you read" Adventure books. Waste enough time leveling up or improving your items and you can wade through any area. WoW is the same if you get enough people to join your raid.

Woo pi doo. Great challenge.
                              Now try to list up any RPGs where where you don't need to level up or get good items mr. smartass. (RPGs where you fight in the game).

The characters in RPGs get experience, level up and grow stronger by fighting, you can't go through the whole game at lvl 1.

And WoW isn't a typical RPG you retard, it's a MMO game.

Typical dothefandango the fatass style, stupid posts which makes no sense.

Woo pi doo. Try to make sense next time you try to post something smart.
                              Last edited by RATTY...; 11-23-2005, 05:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X