Conan O'Brien & The Finnish Presidential Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Conan O'Brien & The Finnish Presidential Election

Let me start off by making clear that I like the Conan O'Brien show, I like humour that mocks the comedian. He's good at that. I watch the show a lot.

Lately, Conan and the show have been making a sketch about the finnish presidential election and Conan backing up our current president Tarja Halonen for re-election simply because they look alike.

It started off as a harmless joke, sure I laughed, enjoyed it.. but after seeing yet another episode of Conan doing another campaign sort of joke for our current president.. I'd say it's going a bit too far. Myself and a lot of other finns feel that it's making a mockery of our presidential election really, it's not funny anymore. To us it enchances the idea of how condescending the americans feel about small countries such as Finland. The presidential election is a serious business.

Now I myself am undecided on who to vote for on the 2nd round yet, and I am also not trying to get Conan to stop doing the jokes with this post. It's a whinybitch post yes, but I want to ask how everybody else feels about this. What do you think, is Conan and his show going a bit too far?
    jee

Our prime minister is harry potter

I think most elections are becoming more of a joke these days. Within 10 years elections here will got trough a tv show where people can vote by sending an SMS.
    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Originally posted by Blood
      but I want to ask how everybody else feels about this. What do you think, is Conan and his show going a bit too far?
      No, because politics in general are the subject of many jokes. People get red-faced angry about politics more than they do about any other topic so I think it's not so bad that people mock it. I think it's just as harmless as Kerry "you rang?" Lurch or Bush "Internets" ape.
      SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

--> http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=23098

Comment

Give ol' Blood a break, he doesn't frequent the forums enough. Although this should be merge And yes, Conan does do a lot of condecending stuff about smaller countries. Most of it's all in fun, and I think he means well with this one, but I can see where you're coming from in how it might be going too far.

Comment

My prime minister can beat up your prime minister.

Comment

Have you ever seen American TV shows like Conan, SNL, all of Comedy Central around election time? And even now? Shit negro, these shows only make money because they make endless fun of our politics. Welcome to the machine.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzera
                Our prime minister is harry potter

I think most elections are becoming more of a joke these days. Within 10 years elections here will got trough a tv show where people can vote by sending an SMS.
                he looks sorta like bill gates.
                Originally posted by Tone
                Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

i havent seen the skits, but pretty much all politicians get made fun of constantly, i dont think he is demeaning your country
                  5:gen> man
                  5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

the daily show with john stewart = awesome
                    Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
                    1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
                    Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
                    caco <ER>> )Oo
                    caco <ER>> bot thief!
                    caco <ER>> duel me for it
                    Evasive <E> no!
                    Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Wasn't this already a topic?
                      Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                      sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

the U.S. ambassador to Canada has already interfered with our federal election by starting an argument with the liberals and NDP and fully supporting the conservatives openly during the campaign. He got told off for it by Martin, end result: basicly he is a long time friend to Bush so basicly 'shut up Canadian'.

Comment

I don't think he's gone too far. I mean, I saw that video the other night of Finns asking for Conan to come to Finland and dressing like him and stuff. I think if Tarja Halonen said, "Stop it, Conan, I don't want you to do this anymore." then it'd be different, but until then, it's fine.
                          DELETED

Comment

Blood, it's called 'comedy'.
                            Originally Posted by HeavenSent
                            You won't have to wait another 4 years.
                            There wont be another election for president.
                            Obama is the Omega President.
                            http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

Ok so far the general consensus here seems to be that it happens all the time and the american politicians get ridicules every waking hour in the states.. but it's not QUITE like that in Finland and to me the whole business seems a bit rude.
                              jee

Comment

Working...
                              X