No announcement yet.

Conan O'Brien & The Finnish Presidential Election

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You do realize that you're co-opting American media in the first place--a show that's meant primarily for American consumption. You could argue that it's insensitive to the average Finnish person, but like everyone's said before, it's pretty tame in comparison to the roasting American politicians get. It's really all in good fun (from the limited portion of it I've seen).
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

I think it draws a parallel to what I say saying previously about the Daily Show. American satire tends to be delivered very smugly and arrogantly, or rather more smugly and arrogantly than in other countries. It obviously works as Americans find it funnier, but I can easily see how that'll rub someone the wrong way whose society doesn't share the same style of humour
      Originally posted by Facetious
      edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
        I think it draws a parallel to what I say saying previously about the Daily Show. American satire tends to be delivered very smugly and arrogantly, or rather more smugly and arrogantly than in other countries. It obviously works as Americans find it funnier, but I can easily see how that'll rub someone the wrong way whose society doesn't share the same style of humour

Honestly, what did he REALLY do that was so wrong? Someone pointed out that they look alike, and both he and the Finland president ate it up. Personally, you would think that it helps her campaign if anything, and probably will help her get reelected. Look at it this way, how much world-wide publicity would the Finland elections have gotten without Conan? I doubt much if any. It help put a limelight on the Finland government that wouldn't have been there before. Be it being good or bad is up for personal opinion.
        RaCka> imagine standing out as a retard on subspace
        RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

You totally missed everything that I said

Comment

also what I said
            jee

Comment

Was that aimed at me? If so I wasn't commenting on what you said. If it was aimed at Exalt then happiness unfolds

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                Was that aimed at me? If so I wasn't commenting on what you said. If it was aimed at Exalt then happiness unfolds

my bad i had your post in quotes, it wasnt aimed directly towards you...but ill reply to what you said

American comedy is aimed at the obvious group...Americans. The sort of comedy we enjoy might be smug and rude to some, but it wasn't directed toward foreign audiences. If you really want to get into rude and smug comedy, watch some Japanese gameshows or late night shows. I highly doubt some of those shows would even be allowed on basic television stations in America. But alas, even seeing those shows, how can someone be offended by it when it's not intended for a different audience? And not to be hateful or anything, but the criticism about America in foreign television shows... I'm sure is a LOT more offending than what Conan is doing to Finland. Europeans tend to hate the USA, and so I'm sure your television stations have eaten this up. Don't hold a double-standard is all im saying. It's amazing how much Bush can be criticised, but if a late night talk show host from USA plays a joke on a political figure from a foreign nation, that country's population seems to be insulted. It goes both ways people.
                RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Exalt
                  my bad i had your post in quotes, it wasnt aimed directly towards you...but ill reply to what you said

American comedy is aimed at the obvious group...Americans. The sort of comedy we enjoy might be smug and rude to some, but it wasn't directed toward foreign audiences. If you really want to get into rude and smug comedy, watch some Japanese gameshows or late night shows. I highly doubt some of those shows would even be allowed on basic television stations in America. But alas, even seeing those shows, how can someone be offended by it when it's not intended for a different audience? And not to be hateful or anything, but the criticism about America in foreign television shows... I'm sure is a LOT more offending than what Conan is doing to Finland. Europeans tend to hate the USA, and so I'm sure your television stations have eaten this up. Don't hold a double-standard is all im saying. It's amazing how much Bush can be criticised, but if a late night talk show host from USA plays a joke on a political figure from a foreign nation, that country's population seems to be insulted. It goes both ways people.
                  You really need to read Zeus's post. HE SAID EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID.
                  Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                  sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
                    You really need to read Zeus's post. HE SAID EXACTLY WHAT YOU SAID.
                    but he really didnt, he just pointed out that American comedy might be rude to a culture with different views of what "humor" is, I pointed out that dispite their views, it was never intended for them in the first place
                    RaCka> mad impressive

Comment

Originally posted by Blood
                      Ok so far the general consensus here seems to be that it happens all the time and the american politicians get ridicules every waking hour in the states.. but it's not QUITE like that in Finland and to me the whole business seems a bit rude.
                      well, you asked how people felt and we said "well we feel its not that bad"

i think the point is that conan probably doesnt know that its offending finnish people. im sure the reaction he gets from most people is quite positive.
                      5:gen> man
                      5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

yes i got your opinion and i was explaining the reasons behind my opinion further
                        jee

Comment

do no fins like it?
                          5:gen> man
                          5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

i'm sure some do - but when me and my friends saw it we all found it to have gone a bit too far. I'm not exactly too bothered about it, just thought i'd ask you guys.
                            jee

Comment

I wonder what stand up comedy is like in Finland.
                              Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                              sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
                                I wonder what stand up comedy is like in Finland.
                                probably takes longer to tell a joke
                                7:Randedl> afk, putting on makeup
                                1:Rough> is radiation an element?
                                8:Rasta> i see fro as bein one of those guys on campus singing to girls tryin to get in their pants $ ez
                                Broly> your voice is like a instant orgasm froe
                                Piston> I own in belim
                                6: P H> i fucked a dude in the ass once

Comment

Working...
                                X