No announcement yet.

Summer Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started on Dhalgren a few days ago, which, after having just finished Les Misérables, is a refreshing stylistic departure: from one of the finest examples of tightly-woven classical narrative to what's perhaps a series of images more than anything else, fragmentary almost to the point of rivalling Burroughs (though thankfully a bit more cohesive, keeping some conventions). Is anyone else familiar with this one? I hadn't heard of it until being mentioned as partial inspiration for a certain David Bowie album, but then I've never been much for science fiction, so that may be explanation enough.

After that I'll probably make another about-face and read best-selling Middlesex, at the recommendation of a friend--actually she's going to mail it to me, so I suppose I don't have much of a choice there, but it seems interesting enough. Besides, my bookshelf seems to be slightly lacking in novels about intersexed Greeks.

From there, probably Lolita. I've only recently introduced myself to Nabokov, but from what little I've read I quite enjoy his style; have several other titles on my mental list, but this seems to be a general favorite among fans of his and so seems a sensible next choice.

Continuing with the general theme of desperation and alienation, that is to say being on the fringes of sanity/society as it were (Jesus is this getting depressing), next will likely be Notes from Underground, another long-standing recommendation finally remembered. Shamed to admit it'll be the first taste of Dostoevsky, though at least given its brevity should be a fairly convenient litmus. If things go well there'll be several more additions to the ever expanding long-term list of Things to Read, which I suppose bears something of a double edge--beginning to doubt whether I'll ever be able to fulfill it before I die, and if not it'll be one of my few regrets.

Rounding things off, Camus's Exile and the Kingdom, and possibly a couple of others depending on whether whatever edition I find includes more than the collection of novellas alone. (More exploration, having only read some essays and The Stranger, though being struck immediately by both; is anyone else beginning to see the trend of attachment and obsession I follow so often?)

Needless to say I'll have little time for the spaceships, which is at least partially intended.
    FREE MANDELA

Comment

Originally posted by iLDuce
      I've heard that there was a direct correlation between the regular consumption of McDonald's and increased aggression.

I've seen all the proof I need.
      OH BIG BOY CALLING THE OTHER POSTER FAT. Well that shit won't fly here son. Baseless comments about where I eat (and McDonald's SURE AS HELL AIN'T ONE OF THEM) as well as the pot shot of hinting I was overweight REALLY MAKES YOU SOUND SMART HUH?

Well here you go, smarty-pants:

The post quoted here shows that you have the emotional frailty, as well as the mental capacity, of a retarded 3rd grader. So do us all a favor, go to Starbucks with your Art School CHUMS and talk about how much the world sucks and OFF YOURSELF. It's the least you can do for humanity.
      Last edited by DoTheFandango; 05-24-2006, 10:30 PM.
      Originally posted by Jeenyuss
      sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

I also love T.S. Elliot. That guy can write a fucking poem.
        Originally posted by Tone
        Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Squeezer
          I also love T.S. Elliot. That guy can write a fucking poem.
          I concur, but only because of The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock.

Everyone should download his reading of it. It will fuck you upppp.
          Originally posted by Jeenyuss
          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

You know who else can write a fucking poem?

That's right.

Dr. Motherfucking Seuss.

PhD in Rhymeology.

Represent, yo.

Comment

Working...
            X