Douglas Coupland's 'jPod'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Douglas Coupland's 'jPod'

I picked this up after reading a thing about it on BoingBoing (link). It's a pretty good book, filled with pop culture references and really, a 'zeitgeist' book to no ends.

I've recently entered the pseudo-real-world (out of high school and not yet in college), working mainly on IT stuff for a law firm, with oen of my best friends, so reading this book hits home. I think anyone who spends a sick amount of time on the Internet will appreciate this book, it's got some great subplots and alot of poignant observations on our culture.

It's about some computer programmers who work at an EA-Games-esque company in Vancouver. The characters the novel focuses on work in the same cubicle office area, and all have last named ending with J, hence, JPod.

It's like, 27 bucks at Barnes and Noble, but I think it's worth it.

Wikipedia:

JPod is a novel by Douglas Coupland published 9 May 2006 by Random House of Canada. The novel concerns a group of computer programmers living in Vancouver, British Columbia facing issues of today:

"Global piracy, boneheaded marketing staff, people smuggling, the rise of China, marijuana grow ops, Jeff Probst, and the ashes of the 1990s financial tech dream."
    He integrates the classic novel writing style with, well, a modern touch, and so it's an interesting read with alot of pleasant breaks. It really does capture the spirit of the internet culture well, and I feel weird after reading it.

If I was reviewing it for the general population, I'd give it a 6.5/10. But since I'm posting this in a forum with an obvious niche, for your tastes, it would be more of an 8/10 or a 9/10.

Here's a quote I like:

On my way out of the office, I passed a "world-"building team, standing in a semicircle, staring at a large German-made knife on a desktop.

“What’s up?” I asked.

"It’s the knife we’re using to cut Aidan’s birthday cake," a friend, Josh, replied.

I looked more closely at the knife: it was clownishly big. "Okay, it’s hard-core Itchy & Scratchy – but so what?"

"We’re having a contest – we’re trying to see if there’s any way to hold a knife and walk across a room and not look psycho."

"Any luck?"

"It's impossible."
    Last edited by Jerome Scuggs; 06-22-2006, 04:55 PM.
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Sounds interesting.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Ha, if the rest of the book is like what you quoted, i'm most definately going to buy it. Seems like my kind-a-taste =)

Nice find, Jerome
      What the hell is a Melufa?

Xog for System Operator and SSC Ban Admin!

Comment

i'm nearing the home stretch, the last fourth, and John Doe's mother (a feminist so radical John Doe legally changed his name to John Doe just to feel normal after a crazy vegan childhood -don't ask, and yes, this IS a geek book) just referred to a gun as a "metal death penis", which makes this book a must-read for anyone, everyone, and people i might have left out in the previous two dichotomies.
        NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Just finished reading it today and I thought the way Coupland included himself was pretty funny. That bastard!
          LA

Comment

its a good read.. i'd recommand it
            1 + 1 = 1

Comment

Are the pop culture references American only?
              Originally posted by Facetious
              edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Working...
              X