Police Brutality at UCLA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dameon Angell View Post
    Did he die? No. Life sucks, wear a fucking helmet.
    You only start to worry when people get killed over forgetting their library-card? Well what's to be expected of someone that lives his life inside playing 2d spaceship games..
    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

I think the policy is any student who does not have ID is asked to leave. I'm fairly sure the police did not simply go up to him and single him out because he was Arab. He did not have an ID ... simple as that.

As for the tasering part, I still think it wasn't beyond excessive. It may have been much, but again, if the person is uncooperative and tries to instigate OTHERS to join him in resisting and causing a rukus is a PUBLIC place, then it's fine. If police officers feel they are threatened they can use force. And I do think it's a cultural thing Kolar. Places like England having police officers that carry no guns ... things are different between European countries and the US.

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzera View Post
        You only start to worry when people get killed over forgetting their library-card? Well what's to be expected of someone that lives his life inside playing 2d spaceship games..
        Check up the numbers on police tasering. I bet it's more common to win the lottery or get struck my lightning than to be tasered to death by the police.

And tasers have different settings you know ... it's not AUTOKILL.

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient View Post
          I think the policy is any student who does not have ID is asked to leave. I'm fairly sure the police did not simply go up to him and single him out because he was Arab. He did not have an ID ... simple as that.

As for the tasering part, I still think it wasn't beyond excessive. It may have been much, but again, if the person is uncooperative and tries to instigate OTHERS to join him in resisting and causing a rukus is a PUBLIC place, then it's fine. If police officers feel they are threatened they can use force. And I do think it's a cultural thing Kolar. Places like England having police officers that carry no guns ... things are different between European countries and the US.
          The policy on IDs will probably stay the same. What I meant was the policy of using physical pain to make a person do something will likely change. UCLA seems to be one of a very few Universities that allows such force. The only reason these 'rent a cops' (I like that term) felt threaten is because they used excessive force on this man and sadly not a single person in the crowd had the balls to kick the mother fucker in the head. This should transcend cultural differences, it isn't right to shock a person screaming in pain on the floor and demand that he get up.

Comment

Check up the numbers on police tasering. I bet it's more common to win the lottery or get struck my lightning than to be tasered to death by the police.

And tasers have different settings you know ... it's not AUTOKILL.
            You didn't get what I said. Whoever I quoted, said that there was nothing wrong because the guy didn't die, so only when someone dies it's wrong. Please read before you post.
            And the thing about it not being a racial thing, I went to Germany by train a few weeks ago, and the only person in our carriage of 60 people that was checked was a black guy. I am not saying that in this case it was a pure racial thing, but I think that people who are always picked on like this have a good reason to go mad every time it happens.
            I don't see the problem, if you hate other races why don't just say; sorry, but we hate you so we kick you out of our country. There is no use letting people live in a country, let them contribute to your economy, study, pay taxes and then harass them because 00000.1% of the same race are terrorists.

Comment

only these were campus police aka rent-a-cops.

IMO, the student was probably being very uncooperative and should have been handcuffed and dragged out.

maybe the UCLA security was right and the student was wrong. but tasering him at will just doesnt feel right. after he was tasered they could have easily dragged him out of there in handcuffs with security there.

Comment

Sigh, I'm almost getting as sad from this as I got from reading the comments on youtube. But you could expect this attitude from a TW-staffer, they are all crazed like those coppers.
                I understand, I understand, you can't really be moved by this if you have Guantanamo Bay and Abu-Ghraib as standard.

Comment

http://www.latimes.com/news/local/la...home-headlines
                  A little more information about what supposedly happened + a sketchy parallel with a 3 years old incident involving the police officer who tasered the student
                  :groovy:.fm
                  toucanlam.com

Comment

Yes, that's it. I run around college asking kids to "Dee-Dee" and then steal their backpacks. As they chase after me, I proclaim "Why wear backpacks if "hyphen, two, letter e, letter z, hyphen newb".

Don't act stupid and you won't get tazed. I've managed to walk in and out of libraries and other public buildings without any trouble.

I'm sorry I don't cry over belligerent children getting tazed. And somehow bringing this piece of shit game into account is asinine.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not for sitting there just tazing a guy a shit load of times, when they're down, they're down. But if a guy is acting like a nutjob, take him out cause he becomes a danger.
                    Last edited by Dameon Angell; 11-22-2006, 08:47 PM.
                    DELETED

Comment

Don't act stupid and you won't get tazed. I've managed to walk in and out of libraries and other public buildings without any trouble.
                      It pretty much sounds like you're just talking shit, so I'm not going to put too much weight into what you're saying.

Having said that, it sounds like you're oversimplifying the issue. The incident involved obvious shades-of-gray: There was a racial element involved, there was a recent highly-publicized LAPD brutality case to consider, there were well over a dozen witnesses---but most importantly the guy was already restrained, had already been tazered multiple times, and the officer had sufficient back-up support.

If you bother to read the LA Times article, you'll realize this guy has previously been recommended for dismissal from the UCLA PD in connection with a different brutality case---and had previously been fired from the LAPD for incompetence. Like I said, you're probably just Quicksandaling here, so I'm probably just debating your point needlessly. But the facts make it pretty clear that excessive force was used.

Comment

Not really brutality imho. I dunno why there is such an outrage ... the student did not show his idea, passively or actively resisted being shown out, was belligerent etc. I dunno about you, but the police officer had a tough call to make especially if you have hundreds of other students shouting for your badge # etc etc.
                        it's not brutality when the cop threatens to stun other students?
                        it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I woulda tazered him again. Stupid hippies, get the fuck in line and stop crying.
                          I have no doubt in my mind that he pushed his rights to the limit but the cops are trained to deal with these situations in a matter that doesn't involve this type of violence, they must remain in control of the situation, with caution and control and not resort to tazering some guy more than three times after he said he had a medical condition.

The guy might be lying about his medical condition which his lawyer later said was true, but the fact is you might have killed him so why would you keep using the device?

I'm not of Middle-Eastern descent, but at least I'm able to see some of these people's perspective. Is it too far of a stretch to see just exactly how media and society are "singling them out"? Keith Ellison, the first Muslim elected to Congress was recently told from a CNN corespondent, that most American's feel that anyone who is brown has to prove to them that they are not evil or working against them. Keith Ellison, is more than just a Congressman he also represents hope, his presence on Congress represents a symbol for peace in a much divided and segregated country.
                          Last edited by Cops; 11-22-2006, 11:10 PM.
                          it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Well, welcome to my Philosophy class. This whole thread, really. There is no for sure response that would actually stick in society.
                            DELETED

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzera View Post
                              It's a western tradition, we don't fix the bridge until it has fallen.

Comment

Originally posted by Kolar View Post
                                It's always ok if the person "had it coming". He probably was a shit disturber looking for a cause but he's a human being and doesn't deserve swift justice or judgment, not from you or I or from the police. The police had the situation under control, shocking a person 6-7 times can either seriously harm them or kill them. I don't think you guys siding with the police understand that this is a real weapon, used inappropriately or excessively can harm or kill a person. There is no excuse for doing it here, maybe in an extreme situation.

There's a word for using pain to make a person compliant, torture. If nothing else you have to agree that this method the University has rubber stamped for its security force is wrong and unethical.
                                Not to mention that they kill upwards of a hundred people per year, and if he had a pace maker he'd be gone. The studies in my opinion on tazers are not conclusive and they should not be used openly when they can seriously harm someone or kill them and there's no way of knowing if the person has a medical condition before you stun them.

Comment

Working...
                                X