A Christmas thought

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Christmas thought

I didn't write this, a friend showed it to me from the rpgfan boards, and I thought you guys might want to see it as well.

When somebody mentions changing the world for the better, people hear it and associate it instinctively with a better world. It's a common, basic principle of thought that we are all aware of. Cure for cancer, world hunger ending? Sure, we all know the drill.

How many people stop and seriously think about what bettering the world is?

It isn't an over-night miracle cure that changes the world. Quite frankly, that would be a very bad thing. Economies would fluctuate erratically, monetary values would alter radically, the world would in essence, have a new problem by solving the old one. That is what the fact of the matter is. To truly change the world, there is only one way to do it.

One person, one grain of sand, one string of rice, one atomic molecule at a time. A blanket statement and a universal problem solver will not fix the world. Nor can one, ten, or even a hundred people solve the entire world. The solution for these matters is a task force, and by such thought, The Salvation Army was brought about.

These are the warriors of virtue that better the world many people at a time in their own way. When you see The Salvation Army, what's one dollar out of your pocket when The Salvation Army has the means to convert that one dollar into a meal for five people? Ten dollars to feed sixty people?

Consider what sixty people really is. Your house, your neighbor, your neighbor's neighbor, averaging 4 people per house hold, that is about 12-15 houses of an entire family that can be fed off of ten dollars. Go outside now, look at your street. Count the houses and the people in them down your entire block.

Consider that one person could feed all of those people. Now consider that a grocery store for example, that I used to work at, averages about 2000 people in a given day, possibly much more in larger chains. Now consider that of those 2000 people, about 90 of them will donate money to The Salvation Army. Consider if every one of those 2000 people could shell out a mere one dollar. $2000 in a single day can feed over 10,000 people. Now consider that a chain such as Ralph's grocery, where I used to work, can average over 16,000 people in a given week thanks to Weekend shopping. If each one of those people would give ONE dollar, that is 95,000 that would not go hungry one night. Averaging two meals, that is nearly 50,000 people that would not go hungry for an entire day.

Now consider this is one store, in one week, of one business chain that has over 250 stores in california. That is over Twenty Three Million meals from one state in one week, if every person could donate a single dollar per trip. In a given month, that is 95,000,000 meals. In one year, that is 1,140,000,000 meals, from one chain of stores, in one state, for one dollar per person.

But they don't donate. They don't give to charities. They do not help the world.

The world will not better itself unless each grain of sand does its part, one person at a time, from a single dollar.

Think twice before you ignore The Salvation Army this holiday season.

Thanks.
    My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Thing is about all these 1 dollar a day, or only 5 dollar a day, etc. that it all sounds nice and low but if you have to give it everyday, you have to give 365 dollars a year. Sure you can give 1 dollar, 1 time. But that only feeds someone 1 time.

I currently donate about 100 euro a year to charity (all sorts) and I can barely afford that, let alone 300+ euro a year.
    Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

I'm 90% sure the Salvation Army has been known to deny clothes to unwed mothers in small towns. In addition, I find it extremely hard to believe that one dollar will really go to five meals. Maybe the money allocated towards food works that way (although it's still hard to believe), but who pays all the desk workers? My dad got a call the other day from some dude asking for money to help the families of police officers that had died in the line of duty.

dad> how much money goes to the families?
      dude> all of your money goes to the charity, sir!
      dad> so you don't get paid?
      dude> oh no, I get paid
      dad> who pays you
      dude> well, your donations
      dad> well, what percentage of my money goes to pay you, your boss, etc
      dude> 63%

Only 37 percent of his dollar would have gone to the families. That's fucked. I can't help but imagine Salvation Army is very similar, and, thus, those figures are insanely inflated. I certainly am all for donating to charity if I had any money (which I literally don't) but I certainly don't trust huge Christian bureaucratic organizations with my (nonexistent) money.

On a lighter note, I did once donate to Salvation Army because the dude at the bucket was hilarious. Instead of saying anything, he'd grunt like a caveman, first like he was happy, then if you walked past him, he sounded disappointed. I asked him how he figured that out, and he said he tried a whole bunch of different ways, and that made him tons more money than ringing the bell.
      5:gen> man
      5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

First of all,

Originally posted by Liquid Blue View Post
        one string of rice
        what is a string of rice?

i dont like those commercials and stuff either. why does only 83 cents of my dollar go to those families? why can't they have the entire dollar? you suck at giving. give me a place where i can send them my dollar, the entire thing.

yeah

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I have to admit, I am cheap as fuck now. I almost never give money away, except to political and social causes that I consider extremely valuable to the community.

About 5 years ago, I used to always give my spare change to street beggars, but once I started keeping track of my monthly expenses, I had an epiphany: generosity is only admirable if you can afford it. Otherwise, you're selling yourself and your family out in order to benefit a complete stranger. And I think that's a personality trait best described as either ignorant, or pathetic---but definitely not admirable.

Every single dollar adds up. It's not just some abstract cliche, it's reality. And when you're as broke as I am, and you pay CLOSE attention to your personal finances, you realize that if you are middle class or lower, and don't have good medical insurance or have family with money, you are only one major accident away from being homeless---or at the very least, bankrupt. It makes way more sense for me to save that dollar in my "in-case-shit-happens" fund than to give it away.

Comment

Comment

Letting people die is the humane thing to do. I mean if everyone lived, there wouldn't be enough food to feed the entire world. Wars are natures way of keeping our planets population down. So are homeless people.

Why do people give money to homeless people anyways, I tell em to go get a fucking job, and god help me if they try to clean my fucking window with their filthy rags.
              Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

The world's problems will never be solved by one person giving one dollar and you are foolish to believe as much.
                Originally posted by Vatican Assassin
                i just wish it was longer
                Originally posted by Cops
                it could have happened in the middle of a park at 2'oclock in the afternoon while your parents were at work and I followed you around all afternoon.

Comment

Originally posted by Cylor View Post
                  The world's problems will never be solved by one person giving one dollar and you are foolish to believe as much.
                  But that doesn't mean you shouldn't give the dollar.

As towards Face's comment, there are places you can research charities (I can't think of any off hand, but google could find one, I'm sure). I know there are some in the range of 80-90%.

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                    Sure you can give 1 dollar, 1 time.
                    or 10 if it's ramen

4 if it's cup ramen
                    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Cylor View Post

I'm guessing you didn't read the OP.
                      My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

How much food are 5 people getting out of a dollar?
                        The place where I used to volunteer at, Yonge Street Mission, does a Christmas thing where people donate money to feed the down-and-out in Toronto. They say it costs approx. $2.58 to feed a person, so that's why I'm wondering. Either way, it's an admirable thought, sorry to nit-pick.

Ps. Torontonians! http://www.ysm.on.ca/ , and donate!
                        duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

I can think of a few that 100% goes to the charity. We have a mens mission in town that is completely volunteer also another is one life revolution, although not donating to anywhere in North America it's still 100%.

And it doesn't matter how much goes, we have a responsibility to help those with less Period. What happens to the money is beyond us.
                          "Bilbo" SS is a sophisticated chat channel, nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Ace View Post
                            And it doesn't matter how much goes, we have a responsibility to help those with less Period. What happens to the money is beyond us.
                            the free market / anti-egalitarian part of me wants to throttle you
                            NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

We should create market incentives for the poor to work more. Allow homeless to receive minimal funds for housing and training for them to get back on their feet. We should make it easy for the poor to get small loans if they have ideas for businesses, and easy for them to apply to training programs to get help.

We shouldn't just be giving stuff away. Giving free things to people just makes people want to take more and work less. In the same way, welfare is no way to go. I agree with cutting down on it as a temporary measure to help out those down on luck, but not to permanently subsidize people forever.

It makes me so mad when I see poor but very lazy people complain that they want more government subsidy. When on my one morning off work, I go and see all these people at the local coffee shop doing absolutely nothing all day.
                              Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                              www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                              www.animeslice.com

Comment

Working...
                              X