The Wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wire

I may have mentioned this here before, but The Wire is far and away the greatest television program I've ever watched. On the surface it's a cop drama, but in reality, the show is about the entire city of Baltimore. Season one is about drug dealers and cops. Season two is about the working class and the crimes many of them end up committing just to pay the rent. Season three brings in the politicians, and returns to the story about the drug dealers, and season four focuses on the failure of inner-city public education, and, well, drug dealers. Alright, so all four seasons are about drug dealers and cops, but it's so much more than that. If you try to pick up an episode in the middle of one of the seasons, you'll probably be confused as hell, just as a warning, but if you buy (or download) season one, I swear you won't regret it. The only complaint people tend to have about the show is that it moves slowly, but anyone who knows me (even online) can testify that I have probably the shortest attention span of any man alive, and I find the show absolutely riveting.

One of the best things about the show is the character development. By the end of season four, you feel as if you have a personal relationship with probably 40-50 characters. Part of what's cool is that with that many well developed characters, the writers of the show can kill a great character off without really any repercussions, which adds to the realism. I typically hate dramas, but I rarely find a feature film that I find more well executed than a randomly selected couple of episodes of this show. Watch it.
    5:gen> man
    5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Sweet. I recently found out that my parents were supposed to have paid for my aparetment this WHOLE FUCKING SEMESTER and I didn't actually have to work 40 hours a week, so my last rent payment has been going to TV show DVD', I'll pick this up
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

A few people here at my work have talked about this show. I will definately check it out. I have heard only good reviews....especially since it's not Law & Order...I am so tired of Law & Order.
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

This is actually on my dload queue. Right now I'm near the end of the first season of the Sopranos. After that I'm dloading Dexter....Then I think I'm gonna move onto the Wire.

I fucking love HBO.
        Originally posted by Tone
        Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

I would definitely suggest watching Dexter before The Wire. I watched the first 11 eps of Dexter, and then I switched to The Wire while waiting for the season finale of Dexter, and by the time the season finale came out, I practically didn't care because I was so engrossed in The Wire - they are both crime dramas, but Dexter's clever premise can't make up for the fact that the dialogue is infinitely worse than The Wire's.

Comment

I rented season 1 of this and suffered through the first episode. There is no character explanation, the crimes are boring, and there is nobody to identify with. It's like watching Law and Order but never getting to the point.

Comment

Well, you suck. The first couple of episodes of each season are slower than the rest, but if you hated it that much, you probably still won't like the rest.

Comment

I'm going to give them a try since I paid for them. It did kind of seem like it could get more interesting but the first pissed me off.

Comment

fucking fuck this is good. probably the best programme ever made. i just finished watching the last episode of series 4, after watching through them all. PLEASE WATCH THIS PEOPLE

Comment

I agree with all of you who say this show is awesome.

McNulty is hilarious. That one scene where he was drunk driving and destroyed his car was golden.

Moreland: I'm just a humble motherfucker with a big-ass dick.
                    Freamon: You give yourself too much credit.
                    Moreland: Okay then. I ain't that humble.

McNulty: What the fuck did I do?

Comment

Something all cultures can agree on.

Comment

Yea, it's definitely one of my favorite shows on TV. And I admire the fact that it addresses contemporary urban crises from honest and realistic perspectives (not the recycled Law and Order "Ripped From the Headlines" bullshit)---all without underestimating the intelligence of the viewer or being condescending.

I wonder if Genocidal ended up sticking with it. I actually thought the show was pretty lame, up until the first few episodes. Like most dramas, they tend to start out slow to lay out the plotlines and start developing the characters.

Comment

When I finally get around to getting a new harddisk for even more space, I'll get this thing dled and watch it.
                          Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Going to check it out

Comment

I like it!
                              (Paradise)>dj sage
                              (HELLZNO!)>is he good, ive never heard his music
                              1: Dynasty> LOL
                              1:vue> LOL
                              1:Cap> LOOL

Comment

Working...
                              X