fine arts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fine arts

I am taking "intro to fine arts". What am I to expect?
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

anal sex
    You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Boredom.
      Originally posted by Jeenyuss
      sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Is it an actual art course? or a history of fine art?

Fine Art can be applied to painiting, such as oil's and watercolor, as well as sketches, charcoal, etchings, printing....

Never heard of a course just labeled as Fine Art, hence my question.

Art History was probably the most useful of all my courses I had taken when at school.
        May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Just going to throw this at you since I know quite a bit about a visual arts program.

I'm going to assume that you have both a studio and lecture course put into one, which would basically be you sitting in a studio class doing both lecture and hands-on artwork in the same room. Lots of people take it as a blowoff class or just as a general education credit. It works for both as long as you do the work and put some effort into it.

Every school is different, so it may not apply. Our Art intro class has you do a drawing component with pencil, charcoal, and cray pas pastels. Painting consisted of acrylic, oil, and watercolor. If you are forced with a 3D component, you might do paper mache or plaster. Paper mache is cheaper, so a ghetto school will probably do that one if anything. Mine did. :P

You'd probably sit there drawing something in front of you, like still life, which is shit professors throw together for you to draw. A table with fruit, bowls, maybe a magazine photo. You might get to do a one-day life drawing studio where yes, you get to see "naked people."

And, of course, you'll get some art history lectures, and you may be required to go visit a gallery and write a paper on an exhibition there. Some might give you a second one to go to for extra credit.

It's not difficult stuff. Even the worst of students pass if they make a tiny effort. For me, art classes are very relaxing and rewarding...as long as it isn't still life.
          DoCk>> im king of tw, i grant all twers permission to fornicate
          DoCk>> there's sucking up going on? i want in on it too :P

Comment

"An introductory study of the principles of art, varying art media, and processes, in order to provide a better basis for judgment and enjoyment of all art expressions. Lecture, discussion, slides, firms, and gallery assignments. Three hours of lecture."

My girlfriend's really into art history so I guess this will get me brownie points

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
              "An introductory study of the principles of art, varying art media, and processes, in order to provide a better basis for judgment and enjoyment of all art expressions. Lecture, discussion, slides, firms, and gallery assignments. Three hours of lecture."

My girlfriend's really into art history so I guess this will get me brownie points
              LOL i took Fine Arts 145(?) last semester, who's your professor?

I can't remember the name of mine, but she was pathetic, i felt like i was in the 1st grade, and the class was cake, i got 807/800 points and i never payed attention or.. went to class for that matter. Also she gave the answers to the Final on the last class.
              Warning: Disconnected From Server.
              paralyze> what is this, some sort of gay-out?
              paralyze> and nice try
              Sleuth> WTF
              Sleuth> OK QUIET
              JuNkA> LOL
              Sleuth> THOUGHTS COMING
              Sleuth> SHHH

Warning: Disconnected From Server
              Thoughts> u wish
              Sleuth> WHAT THE FUCK
              Vue> LOOL
              Sleuth> LOLOLOLOL
              Sleuth> ABBOT IS COMING
              Sleuth> QUIET

Warning: Disconnected from server
              abbot> ..
              Thoughts> LMFAO
              paralyze> ROFL
              Sleuth> stfu

Comment

Liquid Blue will walk in wearing a suit of armor and say "I'm your professor".

Comment

Originally posted by Rhino_haha View Post
                  LOL i took Fine Arts 145(?) last semester, who's your professor?

I can't remember the name of mine, but she was pathetic, i felt like i was in the 1st grade, and the class was cake, i got 807/800 points and i never payed attention or.. went to class for that matter. Also she gave the answers to the Final on the last class.
                  FA 145, teacher is... Roark.

Aquatiq: that made me laugh out loud.

internet de la jerome

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                    I am taking "intro to fine arts". What am I to expect?
                    If you went to Rate My Professor.com, it really doesn't matter what the course teaches, if not, have fun.

Fine Arts might be just a general Fine Arts course You'll have a little intro to music appriciation, intro to theatre, and intro to art all mixed in one. I find it odd that they don't split up those 3 courses though, so that course could be something totally different. You might end up sitting in class hearing your professor quote poetry for the semester, who knows.
                    May my ambition be, more love of Christ to thee.

Comment

I took an Intro to Fine Arts as a mandatory class for my Computer Art class in School of Visual Arts.

There I did everything DangerGirl posted, except for the paper mache.

Yes, I got to examine and draw "naked people"

I also had to draw what their skeletal structures would look like. I stayed in that classroom for 12 fucking hours.

Also, on my first day there, I was all the way in the back, and this hot ass chick was infront of me, and we were drawing a display of still-life (fruit, cones made of paper, lamps, and other shit in the middle of the classroom), and I couldn't see it for shit, so I wound up drawing her drawing it. The teacher laughed at me and said, "very impressive"

lol :/

Comment

I hate still life with a passion with most of my art classes. Only once in a while do I get a decent setup, with the usual fruit and such but my prof would add in interesting material items like barbie dolls or magazine clippings with oddball photos that can completely change the output of the drawing. It can be the difference between some boring table painting to something from a fantasy or scifi world.

My passion is life drawing in charcoal, the big 24x36 drawings. It took some getting used to drawing nudes, but the outcome on paper was just awesome so I kept at it. But I'm partial to 2D B&W tempera paintings just as well.

I hated those skeletal assignments, but after a while I started to see not only why we did them but how freakin cool they can get when applied in an advanced manner. A friend of mine was an excellent grad art student and he did very H.R. Giger-like work from life drawings, and you could see the skeletal aspect in his work. I was so envious he could take those skeletal assignments and make this awesome shit with it. But I can't do that, so I still think the assignments suck. :P
                        DoCk>> im king of tw, i grant all twers permission to fornicate
                        DoCk>> there's sucking up going on? i want in on it too :P

Comment

I only know enough about art to make me versatile in literary criticism and that's frankly all I want to know.

Comment

sucks that you only get the lecture jerome, although beginning art class studio time is usually boring as hell. what you can probably expect is having a $125 art history book required that will put you asleep as soon as you open it (which you probably won't.) The good news is, the stuff is actually pretty interesting in class if you have a halfway decent prof.

Dg--why dont you post some of your life drawings. either here or in jason's thread, i guess..i suppose you could call it a passion of mine as well

Comment

Originally posted by Aquatiq View Post
                              Liquid Blue will walk in wearing a suit of armor and say "I'm your professor".
                              I would rock as an art professor

Most Art History classes I've taken are boring as shit and unless the teachers throw in interactive lessons/projects, they quickly lose the interest of the majority of the class. It's really quite hard to try and teach a bunch of young adults (especially young artists, we think we're the shit) about art history because (IMO) it's so black and white, mundane and outrageous. There is very little middle ground with most artists as they are either boring as shit in technique and personality or they are artists that were mad emo and hung themselves/ OD'ed or crashed their cars in a fit of drunken depression (Pollock I'm looking at you). Ironically alot of art history is so bizarre that it kind of disconnects from rational scenarios in most people's minds and just seems wacked out and crazy.

From what I've noticed is that teachers usually end up doing 1 of three things:

1- Lecture, lecture, handouts, lecture, cry me a river it's so boring

2- Lecture, project, lecture, group project, handout, why is this still boring

3- Lecture, personalized project, group activities, museum visit, lecture, quiz etc

For the most part you really can't run away from the lectures, the teachers can't give you all the info via fun projects and activities. What makes the difference though, is how often they'll keep you sitting in front of them while they drone on- how often they'll try to get you moving, get you talking, get you interested in the subject matter.

But yes, I would pwn as a teacher, no modesty required.
                              My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Working...
                              X