Throw it out or hold onto it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throw it out or hold onto it?

Earlier tonight I was trying to find a cd my girlfriend recently made for me which has pictures of our six month anniversary, we decided that we'd both love to go to Niagara falls and spent a few nights down there after Christmas. As I searched through my closet full of empty bags, shirts, Nintendo's, posters, papers, and computer parts Kolar wont throw out when I stumbled upon a box i haven't seen in quite some time. I started the box about four years ago which has patches, letters, pictures, movie stubs and concert tickets. I was able to get a few concert stubs signed from the guys in Bad Religion.

I was enjoying looking through old memories at three in the morning until I found old pictures of my ex-girlfriend and letters she sent to me, I sat in my closet thinking for a few minutes and decided to tear them up and throw them out. I regretted throwing out letters when I was younger of past girlfriends but then again those items can pull on a person especially if the relationship didn't end in such a manner that a person can say to themselves "It wasn't worth my time, and I'm completely fine with never seeing this person again". I'd like my kids to one day see all the things that I did when I was young. I'm curious as to how people deal with possessions that their ex's left lingering around their bedrooms and houses?

I've got a pair of lime-green chucks that I got from my ex but there is no way in hell I'm ever throwing these bad boys out. My chucks are easily my favorite pair of shoes, besides my slippers. My current girlfriend drew a Turtle and a Phoenix on the plastic white part on the heel of the shoe so every time I look at them I think of her and not the ex.
    Last edited by Cops; 03-06-2007, 02:49 PM.
    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

I throw away almost everything ... pics and letters mostly. Not worth it to keep unless it's useful in some practical way.

Comment

I think in the end, cops, you're going to be the only one that can make that kind of decision. It really comes down to how important things of sentiment are to you, and really what kind of meaning they hold. If you can look at them and remember good times or if you think you can sometime down the road then maybe you wouldn't want to get rid of them.

Make the decision when you're sure of how you're going to react to them, because you can choose to not throw them away, and then do so later. But once they're gone, you can't get them back.

It's a pity every relationship can't end nicely, eh?
      afksry

Comment

I keep all the letters, because they are good memories but other stuff that have no sentimental meanings, I just throw away.
        help: (how do i shot) (Public 0): how do i travel diagonally? i only have up, down, left and right keys.

4:PinkSTAR <ER>> ask DP he knows me inside and out

Comment

Like alot of things in life: if you doupt it, don't do it.

If it doesn't take space you need, it doesn't mather, so let it stay there until you move or need the space. Delay the decision. Maybe later on you're ready to let your teddybear go.

Comment

Keep everything. If you find yourself growing weak and longing for an old girlfriend when you should not, the materials are excellent because with them you can test yourself if you're strong enough to resist the temptation. Burning and throwing away stuff is a sign of weakness.
            jee

Comment

Hide them so she wouldn't find it. Even if she does, there's a corresponding date written on every letter so she'll know you aren't cheating on her. Moreover, I assure you she will find it enjoyable reading your ex-gf's letters along with you.
              1:Kthx> Hey Cower ill let you play the next game if you can name me five medieval weapons.
              1:Cower> Sword
              1:Kthx> ok
              1:Cower> Axe
              1:Kthx> WAIT, YOU GOT IT
              1:Cower> ?
              1:Kthx> GET OFF THE CHAT

Comment

To blood, it depends on things like, how much greaf (sp???) you still have or how the breakup went, if it still hurts after a 6 months then it is not a good idea to keep them coz it will couse more pain.
                SSCU Trench Wars Local BanG Operator
                SSCU Trenchwars SModerator
                Trench Wars Extreme League Head Operator
                Trench Wars Divisions Operator

1:Rudy> We don't let Barton out much
                1:Rudy> He has a habit of touching things he's not supposed to
                1:Rudy> Like fire, and boobies

Comment

Read them through with your girl and your ex:

INSTA CATFIGHT

possible outcomes:
                  1) They end up making out
                  2) Your ego is boosted tenfold
                  3) You end up without a girlfriend but had tons of fun for a while.
                  5: Da1andonly> !ban epinephrine
                  5: RoboHelp> Are you nuts? You can't ban a staff member!
                  5: Da1andonly> =((
                  5: Epinephrine> !ban da1andonly
                  5: RoboHelp> Staffer "da1andonly" has been banned for abuse.
                  5: Epinephrine> oh shit

Comment

I think i got some stuff left. I guess it's always nice looking at after a few years. Things that reminds you of girls who really, i mean really, meant something to you I think you should save! Don't save like old condoms k

Comment

Originally posted by Barton View Post
                      To blood, it depends on things like, how much greaf (sp???) you still have or how the breakup went, if it still hurts after a 6 months then it is not a good idea to keep them coz it will couse more pain.
                      rather than ignoring, i would:

confront -> suffer -> dismiss
                      jee

Comment

4 AM is pushing it Cops, please let me get some sleep.

Comment

I still have all my old stuff. I thought about throwing it out but it's a reminder of good memories. I don't actually read the stuff though, just keep it for sentimental value.

Comment

The top drawer of my dresser is filled with old scrapbooks my ex and I made, every single note I ever got from all my friends in middle school, pictures of us, and all of that stuff. Whenever I'm bored it's always fun to look through there.
                            Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                            1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                            1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                            1:Chao <ER>> at all
                            1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                            1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                            Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                            Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                              rather than ignoring, i would:

confront -> suffer -> dismiss
                              I 100% agree with that on a personal level, that's exactly what I do, but not everyone goes about those things the same way, the confrontation just makes things worse permananently for some people.
                              afksry

Comment

Working...
                              X