Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why hasn't the music business invested more in Guitar Hero?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why hasn't the music business invested more in Guitar Hero?

Okay, so the game is fun as hell, and (chances are) most of the people you know like to play it.

My question is: why aren't record companies falling all over themselves trying to get their new tracks available for download for the Xbox 360? Why isn't Harmonix (or whoever is in charge now) actively making shit-tons of content?

In a time when the RIAA is whining about declining record sales, why wouldn't they at least partner up with the developer to release tracks from their upcoming albums? Seems like a fantastic way to build buzz and make a little money on the side. And the best part (at least in the RIAA's eyes)? No piracy. Or, at least, piracy would be minimal (who wants a song with all the bleeps and buzzes of GH?).

Think about it: there are several releases coming to the stores in early June that have the possiblity of being fantastic (with about an equal chance to suck). For instance, Capitol releases Interpol's new album. Now, I'm not the biggest Interpol fan in the world, but if they modified the single to be playable on GH, there's a good possiblity I'd get hooked on the song just by playing/beating it (I'd argue that the enjoyment of playing a song can be more viral than just hearing it). Plus, I'd pay the $2-3 for the downloadable content. I can't think of a situation that's more win-win for the games and record industries, outside of Tommy Motolla and Shigeru Miyamoto holding me up at gunpoint.

Minor labels could even get in on the act--they've got even less of an avenue for promoting new material than major labels do.

But alas, it seems like everyone's sitting on their hands, and Activision is happy re-releasing a small handful of GH1 songs and nothing else. It's a squandered opportunity.
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Your logic would be impeccable if it were not for the fact you're counting on the RIAA to do anything that's win-win.
    gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
    gravy_: Electric granny chariots
    gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Personally with something like GH im looking for something I've heard before to play. I wouldnt waste money downloading content for a song ive never heard that i might hate.
      9:Basti> any1 want pw for squad BlowJob?
      9:Inaphyt> no basti i want you to give me the password to your room so you can give me a blowjob
      9:Basti> sure
      9:Basti> we can take a basing duel in my bed
      9:Inaphyt> hahahaha
      9:Basti> i'll score
      9:Basti> i'll ride my ship into ur cram
      9:Basti> and take the flag
      9:Inaphyt> ROFL
      9:Basti> and finally lay a mine there

Comment

I think that's a great idea and I join you in your curiousity. Sounds like it'd be a great thing to do.

For the record I don't like Guitar Hero, just to be clear.
        Spider
        Formerly EEK! A Spider!
        Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

Originally posted by Spider View Post
          I think that's a great idea and I join you in your curiousity. Sounds like it'd be a great thing to do.

For the record I don't like Guitar Hero, just to be clear.
          Lobby for them to add songs to that 360 DDR game then
          gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
          gravy_: Electric granny chariots
          gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Because the RIAA doesn't ever update their business model, they just try to keep everyone else from moving forward
            USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

It's because as much as I want to I never found a copy of Boom Boom Dollar from the original DDR.
              Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
              www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
              www.animeslice.com

Comment

For Rock Band (the new Guitar Hero 3), they'll be getting more contracts with recording companies because of the success of the previous two games. It's not as widespread as you'd like, but it's getting there.
                DELETED

Comment

Working...
                X