Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• greatest threat to the climate, forests, and wildlife

is the methane from cow emissions?

This article from The Independent explains the seriousness of the problem. The United Nations has declared the methane from cow emissions the "greatest threat to the climate, forests, and wildlife." Livestock emissions are responsible for 18% of the greenhouse gases that cause global warming. That's more than all forms of transportation put together.

So, aside from corking every heifer in the world, how can humans address this? The Straight Dope mentions that administrating antibiotics to cattle could reduce their methane output. But the site goes on to explain that these antibiotics are already in use in the United States. Furthermore, they'd be difficult to administer in less affluent countries.

Truth be told, many sites explain that this is a huge problem, but few offer ideas on solutions. That's understandable because there are clearly no easy answers. As the human population grows, the demand for meat will also rise. That means more cows and more methane. Here's hoping scientists will find an answer soon.
    Source: http://ask.yahoo.com/20070419.html

WTF?!
    ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

The methane is not coming from cows passing gas. It is coming from the slaughtering proccess used to put meat on the table for millions of people. As the population increases, there will be greater demand for meat; supply of slughtered cows will be increased to meet this demand, resulting in greater methane emissions.
    1: hed> does aquatiq go to your school
    1: oar> yeah
    1: hed> go talk to her and be like "baby, lemme get those digits"
    1: hed> and after dinner
    1: hed> "howbout you unban apt"

7: flared> so me and my friends talked shit back to him
    7: flared> THEN we find out he's in the crips

3: oar> do you like strawberry shortcake?
    3: Nimesh> my sis does
    3: oar> http://www.urbandictionary.com/defin...erry+shortcake

Comment

My solution to address a major symptom of warming…
      Build wind farms to produce power to run desalination plants. Do this all around the world in dryer regions. Pump huge amounts of the desalinated fresh water (thereby reducing the rise in ocean levels from warming) inland, encourage water use, replenish aquifers.

I also never see any ‘capitalism’ factors in global warming calculations. Does not anyone believe that if it becomes profitable to develop and implement a solution to global warming, it will happen?

Comment

are you as fat as the cat in your avatar now
        My father in law was telling me over Thanksgiving about this amazing bartender at some bar he frequented who could shake a martini and fill it to the rim with no leftovers and he thought it was the coolest thing he'd ever seen. I then proceeded to his home bar and made four martinis in one shaker with unfamiliar glassware and a non standard shaker and did the same thing. From that moment forward I knew he had no compunction about my cock ever being in his daughter's mouth.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
          I also never see any ‘capitalism’ factors in global warming calculations. Does not anyone believe that if it becomes profitable to develop and implement a solution to global warming, it will happen?
          I'm sure plenty of people believe that. The Economist has run many articles on the economics of environmentalism (including a cover story a couple years ago), for instance. The problem is that contributing to the problem is generally much more profitable than fixing it is.
          Originally posted by Ward
          OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Build wind farms to produce power to run desalination plants.
            ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Comment

Humans.

Comment

Build wind farms to produce power to run desalination plants. Do this all around the world in dryer regions. Pump huge amounts of the desalinated fresh water (thereby reducing the rise in ocean levels from warming) inland, encourage water use, replenish aquifers.
                I think wind farms are a great idea, too. I also think they're actually really beautiful to look at.

The problem that pops up (at least here, it's the major complaint) is that wind farms can hurt some of the airborne wildlife (migratory birds and such). I don't really buy into thinking that somehow these things decimate bird populations, but it's a voice you have to take into consideration.
                Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

Originally posted by ConcreteSchlyrd View Post
                  I think wind farms are a great idea, too. I also think they're actually really beautiful to look at.

The problem that pops up (at least here, it's the major complaint) is that wind farms can hurt some of the airborne wildlife (migratory birds and such). I don't really buy into thinking that somehow these things decimate bird populations, but it's a voice you have to take into consideration.
                  Agreed, there has been a case where they put one up right in the path of a huge population of bats that left caves each night, it was not a pretty sight.

Comment

We used to call that natural selection. If you can't avoid a huge freaking fan on a hill you really should be taken out of the gene pool.
                    gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                    gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                    gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

And there comes democracy. Kill some flying mice, and nature lovers will freak out.
                      Sometimes you'd think that my friend Stalin was a genious... Death is the solution to all problems. No bat - no problem.

Comment

ur shaggy tits - jrahen

Comment

Oo, I thought you were talking about windmills. But my colleague was talking about some farmers use farm animals' waste/gas as fuels.

So when you mentioned 'wind farming', for a brief moment, I was picturing cows with equipment fitted on their behinds to capture the wind that they break (thus the 'wind' farming).

I am so silly.
                          ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Comment

Originally posted by Pummel View Post
                            ur shaggy tits - jrahen
                            You are both jealous that my tits are bigger than yours.

Shoo, shoo!

On the other hand, think profoundly: are those wildlife give emission that contribute to greenhouse effects? If so: CULL!!!

Just joking, I would never intentionally kill any wildlife, even though occasionally I have this urge to molest the cute ones. :fear:
                            ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Comment

ok, so more wind farms

then just crank up the fan speed so it blows the birds away before they get caught in them lolol

PROBLEM SOLVED

NEXT GLOBAL ISSUE PLEASE
                              PLEASE, DON'T BE MISGUIDED...YA BITIN'. AND I'MA HAVE TA DIS YA, UNDERSTAND MISTA?

Comment

Working...
                              X