No announcement yet.

Bush Commutes Libby's Sentence

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So where do we draw the line? If we're going to play an endless game of "well, he did it, that makes it okay for the next guy," where does that put us?
    Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

looking into a bit of U.S. History and the laws that pertain to such as what Bush has done with Libby, perhaps we finally got this asshole:
      James Madison:

“If the President be connected, in any suspicious manner with any person, and there be grounds to believe he will shelter him, the House of Representatives can impeach him; they can remove him if found guilty.” Using the power of the presidency to “pardon crimes which were advised by himself” or to “stop inquiry and prevent detection” of crimes was, according to Madison, an impeachable offense.
      Bush seems to think the set laws do not apply towards anything post 9/11. So I am sure the Constitution will be used to wipe his ass again from all of this.
      May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found View Post
        looking into a bit of U.S. History and the laws that pertain to such as what Bush has done with Libby, perhaps we finally got this asshole:

Bush seems to think the set laws do not apply towards anything post 9/11. So I am sure the Constitution will be used to wipe his ass again from all of this.
        I doubt George Bush even knows who James Madison is. He probably thinks it's that awesome Adam Sandler movie he watches every weekend.
        Originally posted by Tone
        Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by 404 Not Found View Post

Does this apply to other Presidents who throughout history have usually done this kind of activity the last day of their term? For example;

When George Washington pardoned those who had treason convictions and indictments for the multi-state armed whiskey rebellion?

Or when Nixon pardoned Jimmy Hoffa while he was serving a 15-year prison sentence for jury tampering and fraud?

Or when Clinton pardoned FBI's Most Wanted List Marc Rich (who was a fugitive) or Patty Hearst?

I do not like Bush and do not think he should have commuted Libby's sentence. But history is clear that past Presidents have certainly done the same things, but are usually just more pussy about it by doing it the last few hours they are in office.
          Last edited by Ephemeral; 07-05-2007, 06:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
            Does this apply to other Presidents who throughout history have usually done this kind of activity the last day of their term? For example;

When George Washington pardoned those who had treason convictions and indictments for the multi-state armed whiskey rebellion?

Or when Nixon pardoned Jimmy Hoffa while he was serving a 15-year prison sentence for jury tampering and fraud?

Or when Clinton pardoned FBI's Most Wanted List Marc Rich (who was a fugitive) or Patty Hearst?

I do not like Bush and do not think he should have commuted Libby's sentence. But history is clear that past Presidents have certainly done the same things, but are usually just more pussy about it by doing it the last few hours they are in office.

I just found Madison's comments amusing. However, looking at Bush and what he has pledged and promised the peoples of the U.S., you can look at this in a new lite and not a history books notation of a past President.
            • Bush's 2000 campaign pledge to "restore honor and dignity" to the White House.

And not to forget:
            • Bush vowed at the start of the investigation to fire anybody involved in the leak of a CIA agent's identity, but one of the leakers, adviser Karl Rove, still works at the White House. Libby was allowed to keep his job until he was indicted for lying about his role.

Nobody has been fired at all in this administration in regards to this investigation, even after the known people who leaked the info are in plain light!

The president said Libby's sentence was excessive. But the 2 1/2 years handed Libby was much like the sentences given others convicted in obstruction cases. Three of every four people convicted for obstruction of justice in federal court were sent to prison, for an average term of more than five years. In noting that the investigation regarding Plame is still taking place, does not the issue of perhaps Libby opening his mouth in jail seem to make sense of the commuted sentance, dangling a full pardon at the end of his Presidency? Just a thought...but hold on there is more.
            • Republican presidential candidate Mitt Romney praised the commutation for Libby, quite a departure for a guy who brags that he was the first Massachusetts governor to deny every request for a pardon or commutation. Romney even refused a pardon for an Iraq war veteran who, at age 13, was convicted of assault for shooting another boy in the arm with a BB gun.

• What about all the Republican politicians who defied public sentiment and insisted that President Clinton be impeached for lying under oath about his affair with Monica Lewinsky? Many of them now minimize Libby's perjury.

"There appears to be rank hypocrisy at work here on both sides of the political spectrum," said Joe Gaylord, a GOP consultant who worked for House Speaker Newt Gingrich during impeachment. "It causes Americans to shake their heads in disgust at the political system."
            I think the last quote there says it all....I am one of those Americans that is shaking his head in disgust!
            May your shit come to life and kiss you on the face.

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffz View Post
              since we are no longer talking about the massive shit bush stirs let me ask a realy important question: didnt clinton only get a lousy BJ without the chick even swallowing his load while he said he never had sex with her? so if i am not wrong(i didnt follow this useless crap so close) technically he wasnt lying.
              If i take my cock and use some chicks epiglottis as a speedbag, i'd say that i had sexual relations with her

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Libby's lie was different than Clinton's lie. Comparing the two is like saying a guy who steals food FROM a guy who's starving is the same thing as if a guy steals food BECAUSE he's starving. They are both stealing food, but their punishments should not be the same. Don't get me wrong, Clinton did other shady shit while he was in office and I'm not defending that, but comparing these two particular cases is simple-fucking-minded.

Just before we invaded Iraq, Joeseph Wilson called bullshit about our government's case long before it was fashionable that we question the US government after 9/11. In retaliation, someone in the Vice President's office (Gee, I wonder who) releases the classified identity of Joe Wilson's wife, who is a CIA agent. Libby covered up his knowledge of who did this. So instead of being upset that our government is so repugnant, lets stick our heads in the sand, and think of happier times---like when we were bashing Clinton's BJ.

Yea, I'd say lying to cover up an arguably treasonous conspiracy is a little different than lying about getting a BJ.
                Last edited by Subjugation; 07-05-2007, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                X