No announcement yet.

Philosophies On Consciousness/Reality

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Even if this was a facade and an illusion then we would be part of something else, like Jerome said nothing comes from nothing and if this isn't real then there has to be something that thought of our existence or created us. It's the snow globe theory that we may exist but to exist whether metaphysically, logically, biologically, mentally then we are still justified as being part of something even if we are merely a dream on a summer's day.

I think therefore I am.
    it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Originally posted by Cops View Post
      I can prove my existance and the existance of others through touch, smell, taste...
      Good point. Talking scientifically, the only parameters we can go by are our basic senses. Anything else is, technically speaking, speculative: like god existing.

Therefore to deny in anyway the evidence of our senses is to deny the ONLY proof we have on the matter.

Comment

laugh

Comment

Originally posted by Fluffz View Post
          laugh
          I rest my case.

I've reduced you to only being able to laugh, real smooth fluffz.

Comment

Originally posted by MetalHeadz View Post
            Good point. Talking scientifically, the only parameters we can go by are our basic senses. Anything else is, technically speaking, speculative: like god existing.

Therefore to deny in anyway the evidence of our senses is to deny the ONLY proof we have on the matter.
            my doors of perception are telling me to go eat something.
            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

I now know what kontrolz avatar is...its been killing me

Comment

Originally posted by Mythrandir
                Yes he did doubt his senses a priori, but I'm pretty sure that he pulled the religion card in order to get to the next step of his line of reasoning.
                yes

Originally posted by Descartes, Discourse on Method, pt. 4
                For, in the first place even the principle which I have already taken as a rule, viz., that all the things which we clearly and distinctly conceive are true, is certain only because God is or exists and because he is a Perfect Being, and because all that we possess is derived from him: whence it follows that our ideas or notions, which to the extent of their clearness and distinctness are real, and proceed from God, must to that extent be true.
                Originally posted by Ward
                OK.. ur retarded case closed

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                  Guru, get back online and playing.
                  I will when I can. Starting September 24th I'll be juggling the full time job, 3 college classes, raising an 18 month old and my other online addictions

I've dropped off the last few months mainly because of one project in particular, but things are starting to wind down again.

That and I have a bet with someone on Pacman CE, winner gets an iPod Touch. And I'm not losing that bet.
                  gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                  gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                  gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

Originally posted by Kontrolz View Post
                    What do you guys think is real?

Cogito ergo sum.

I personally think that it is impossible for an objective view of reality to exist. In order for something to exist it must be perceived.
                    Esse est percipi...

You can never know for certain that there is anything outside your own head, therefor the only type of truth you can ever know for certain is the logic/reason in your own mind.
                    That is the fundamental. The only thing for certain is that you think, and thus you must exist (or else you cannot think). Nothing else is for certain. All else is perceived.

Cogito ergo sum. I think therefore I am.

This statement has been misinterpreted several times so let's have a go at explaining it.
                    Actually, this statement reaches a level of absolute doubt. Everything is dubious, nothing is for certain. Everything's existence is to be questioned. God is uncertain. Truth is uncertain because of opinion. This keyboard is uncertain because my senses are not to be trusted. The only conclusion reached is my ability to think. And thus, i alone, exist, without question.

because in order to say that you don't exist, you must have to actually exist.
                    That is just another way to say, I think, therefore i am.

ps. Hi Kontrolz
                    Last edited by deathking; 09-12-2007, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X