Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• so i'm going to buy an mp3 player

i've never bought one before

the market is a confusing and horrible place! so if anyone has advice that would be good.

after a quick look i was like hmm a flash memory with an SD card slot might be best since i'll be keeping it in my coat and i heard the hard drives can get damaged easier than flash. BUT flash was smaller memory for higher price so expandable memory would be good as i can't be arsed transferring files loads of times.

then my friends say it would break within 3 years anyhow

i don't want an ipod they are evil
    i don't want a sony they are evil
    i don't want a zune they are evil

i quickly realised that all mp3 manufactures are pretty evil

so i was thinking of the Creative zen 8Gb version - but then i hear its SD slot is shitty and unindexed so browsing and playing files off the SD card is a pain in the ass.

the cowon d2 has loads of features i'd like digital radio and FLAC support 2x time the battery life of the zen // but it's got a touch screen, i don't want a touch screen and don't trust it!:fear:

also i wanted SD slot so i could buy a big SD card and use it in my MP3 player but then plug it into my camera if i ever need it - but then i find out big SD cards are really SDHC cards which use fat32 and my camera might not support that :S

so i don't know anymore, will probably get the zen and regret it
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

Just come to the dark side and have it be done with. It's not so bad.
    Originally posted by paradise!
    pretty sure the flu is just bacteria found everywhere, just during the winter our immune systems are at its lowest, thus the bacteria aren't exactly killed off.
    1:Reaver> HALP
    1:Reaver> HELELP
    1:Reaver> SAW CRANS MOM NAKED
    1:Reaver> HELP YOU DUMB FUCKS

Comment

I got the Zen Vision W about 4 months ago for 320 Canadian on sale. I haven't had a single problem with it but it's probably not what you're looking for because it's more bulky with a large screen for video so it's not something you drag around on the go. If you've got 1-2 hours of travel time a day like I do it's a good solution for a video/mp3 player(Xvid/Divx/wmv playback, FM radio, mp3-No FLAC I tried, microphone, photo viewer and compact flash bay). It also has an organizer and calendar. Now only if it had Wifi, bluethooth, GPS and was a phone .

My brother bought one of the first Creative Muvos (MuVo NX) which would still work today if not for losing the battery package. The flash module still works perfectly without problems and I think it had to be 6 years ago at least. The Best part is you don't have to put up with ITunes' bullshit, you can access your media through windows explorer or through their software (Yahoo and Winamp also). Playlist setup is sometimes a bitch so that's the only down side to it on the Zen Vision W, you have to use their software to set those up but not to actually upload your music to the player. I don't know about their newer products and how their playlist creation works.
      Last edited by Kolar; 11-20-2007, 05:24 PM.

Comment

creative and iriver are perennially solid picks in the mp3 player marker
        USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

So I was an Apple ipod nano fan and a cellphone hater....
          Now I've got a smartphone and I don't use my nano anymore because I can listen music while I am browsing the internet, using any instant messenger, smsing, writing documents and taking pictures -rofl-.

I want to have an E90 or something though.
          You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Well maybe this is evil contemplating on more evil... since I have an ipod but think the new zunes are pretty cool as well
            TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
            TelCat> hoes get paid :(
            TelCat> i dont

Comment

I have never been happier with both price and features. It's recommended at head-fi.org if you're a bit picky about fidelity. I bought it when it was $99 and really loved it. I have tried the Cowon products in the past and was disappointed both times (had to return them).

http://www.walgreens.com/store/produ...id=prod2855107

Comment

What suff said. I got myself a 4GB Meizu M6 and I couldn't be happier. The etymotic er4p earphones actually cost me almost double the price at 250 euro a pair :P
                2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
                2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
                2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
                2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
                2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
                1:spider> Wooooohoo!
                1:spider> .*passes the hat*
                1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Originally posted by Burzum View Post
                  What suff said. I got myself a 4GB Meizu M6 and I couldn't be happier. The etymotic er4p earphones actually cost me almost double the price at 250 euro a pair :P
                  Don't get Shure's E500's ... waste of money. Although if you're ok with buds, the Yuin PK2's are a steal and the 'phones I use the most often. Head-fi makes you go crazy buying stuff =).

Comment

After I saw the list of brands you don't want I noticed that Creative is the only good brand you didn't list. In my opinion Apple and Creative are the best brands, I wouldn't buy anything else, even if you hate those companies. Google for some reviews, they're some of the best mp3 players.
                    Spider
                    Formerly EEK! A Spider!
                    Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

Originally posted by Zerzera View Post
                      So I was an Apple ipod nano fan and a cellphone hater....
                      Now I've got a smartphone and I don't use my nano anymore because I can listen music while I am browsing the internet, using any instant messenger, smsing, writing documents and taking pictures -rofl-.

I want to have an E90 or something though.
                      Smartphone is the way to go, the moto 9Qh is doing wonders for me. I envy you though as you still have the E-61 offered by your carriers; it was discontinued the US..
                      Celibrate
                      XXX is overrated.

Comment

Originally posted by Wax
                        I know you said you didnt want it, but, I love my Zune.

I would definately recommend it. I have had it for a while now and no problems.

It takes a little getting used to, but the sound quality is much better than any other device Ive tried. The color display is also fantastic. Should you want to watch videos on it. Album art is cool too.
                        I hear that the Zune is really well regarded sound quality-wise. They're pretty cheap now I hear. They were at super low prices at woot.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sufficient View Post
                          Don't get Shure's E500's ... waste of money. Although if you're ok with buds, the Yuin PK2's are a steal and the 'phones I use the most often. Head-fi makes you go crazy buying stuff =).
                          Tell me about it, lol. Nah, I'm good for now, all I really need atm is a new pack of tri-flanges, they wear out rather fast. If you use the IEMs like I do, at least 4 hours daily.
                          2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
                          2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
                          2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
                          2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
                          2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
                          1:spider> Wooooohoo!
                          1:spider> .*passes the hat*
                          1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

Pressure, bout ye big mawn

I would seriously consider an smartphone.

Simply said: smartphone = phone + mp3-player + more in 1 device.

- No more carrying several devices.
                            - Most smartphones support the "usual" earphone plug.
                            - Smartphones use the sdram you desire..
                            - They also support video's, pdf's, zip files, etc. it's a mini pc actually.
                            - AND you can call with it

I'm using the nokia n95 (you also have the 8gb version) and am quite happy with it (build-in route planner with gps). However, the battery goes down quick. So you might want to do research for your specific needs.

Good luck

Comment

I'd advice against getting a smart phone unless you know for sure that you will use the features that makes it a smart phone. If you don't use it that much you just end up paying more for something more complicated.

Getting a mp3 player through your phone might not be a bad idea, and it that case I reccomend Sony Ericsson W850i. This is the newest SE phone in the W (walkman) line.

For a pure mp3 player I have a simple Asono. It's small and light, and requires no drivers or anything. It has a usb port in its base, which comes with a lid that hides it. I had a Zen Touch before, and all that shit with drivers and needing to have a cable if I wanted to get new music was a pain in the ass. I'd rather take a tiny mp3 player that I can use on anything with a USB port to get new music than some heavy driver operated shit.
                              Da1andonly> man this youghurt only made me angry

5:ph> n0ah will dangle from a helicopter ladder and just reduce the landscape to ashes by sweeping his beard across it

Comment

Working...
                              X