No announcement yet.

Contemplating moving back to IE :P

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I switched back to IE7. I like the interface personally. It does crash though. So does Firefox sometimes. Are you Firefox lovers seriously trying to say you've never seen the "FireFox crashed last time you were using it, would you like me to reopen the tabs that were open when it happned" type message? Seriously? You've never seen that? I've seen it many times. And I don't use those fucking addons. I don't even run shit on my computer. I'm the most anal-retentive person I know for keeping my computer free of shit programs because I'd much rather have preformance than a stupid "feature" or a thing that tells me if it is sunny outside.

I like how when you open your bookmarks in IE7 you can choose to either view the website in your current tab or open it in a new tab. I pick 5 of 6 sites I want to see and just open them all in new tabs. They load while I'm reading my email or whatever. It's great.

As some other people already hinted it, websites look/work better in IE7 anyway. For every webdesigner you show me who is designing and testing his website for FireFox, I could show you, oh, maybe 500 that are working on the assumption that you are using IE7, or a previous version of IE. That's the same reason why almost all of us are using Windows.

It's not like the guys who make FireFox help old ladies cross the street and Microsoft boys try to run 'em down with their Bentleys or whatever. Nobody likes a monopoly, I'll grant you that. So if you want to buy a Mac (Apple has a total monoply over their shit compared to MS, it's just a much smaller sandbox, but whatever) or use Firefox, go ahead. But it isn't leaps and bounds "better".

Oh, also, IE doesn't seem to crash your whole system when it goes down. I think it used to do that right? It hasn't done that to me with IE7. Remember how your task bar and everything would just disapear I think because "explorer" crashes along with the browser or whatever. I don't think thats a problem anymore.
    Spider
    Formerly EEK! A Spider!
    Former TW Moderator, still an all around nice guy

Comment

I use them interchangeably, IE has made enough modifications that its almost matched Firefox, so it doesn't really matter to me :/
      ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
      Failure teaches success.

Comment

Originally posted by Spider View Post
        Are you Firefox lovers seriously trying to say you've never seen the "FireFox crashed last time you were using it, would you like me to reopen the tabs that were open when it happned" type message? Seriously? You've never seen that? I've seen it many times. And I don't use those fucking addons.
        I've got no add-ons whatsoever and I've NEVER had Firefox crash. Honestly. The only times I ever see that box is after I shut down my computer without bothering to close my programs first or when i ctrl-alt-del my way out of a bouncing-around gay sex scene joke site.

And Firefox updates itself in about 10 seconds without losing your current sites too.
        jee

Comment

i use opera because i can have search engine boxes (dictionary.com, youtube, google images, wikipedia, etc.) right in the browser like google is for most others. afaik this isn't possible in ie7 or firefox but i keep both because not everything works with opera (sucks). while someone who is ABM could technically be accused of having an "agenda," we all know who really has one, don't we? i could shop at wal-mart but i don't for a reason other than being non-conformist.

Comment

I'm running Vista, but have both browsers installed.

At first, IE7 is frustrating, because you might not like how they positioned all their buttons. The layout is really ugly looking, and I've wanted to change it, but couldn't. - After a while though, you get used to all of this, it's just a matter of time.

I was originally a Firefox crusader, and loved it. But the things that bother me the most about it are the constant updates (which cause me to lose favorite skins and add-ons). Though the add-ons and themes were definitely the best part.
            At the time, I designed a lot of websites, so the interface, add-ons, tools, and code rendering were way better than IE6, so there was nothing to compare. And on my Windows 98 computer, the better page rendering meant faster navigation in CSS-heavy pages.
            Firefox has crashed though, but the worst part about this browser is the startup time. I absolutely hate waiting that extra 30 seconds to load up the program or offline pages.

Now though, IE7 provides a lot of needed updates and better rendering for webpages. While it may not have much add ons, I do appreciate the extra features it has. Font rendering is much smoother and nicer looking, and for me who needs multiple language and IPA support, IE7 is by far stronger in this sense. - And I've never experienced IE7 alone crashing (unless I crashed windows explorer itself - though it'll restart automatically for you).

So since I have not much use for FF, now that I don't do web designing, I use IE7 as a default browser (it loads faster, and has better language support - otherwise both browsers are equal to me). But when I did web designing, MS only had IE6 (as we all know sucked), and now that everything is better supported on this browser, I probably wouldn't switch to FF unless I wanted to see how it displays differently (or if I wanted to use a specific add-on I have).
            Thousands of candles can be lit from a single candle, and the life of the candle will not be shortened. Happiness never decreases by being shared.
            -Buddha

Comment

Originally posted by jeem View Post
              i use opera because i can have search engine boxes (dictionary.com, youtube, google images, wikipedia, etc.) right in the browser like google is for most others. afaik this isn't possible in ie7 or firefox but i keep both because not everything works with opera (sucks). while someone who is ABM could technically be accused of having an "agenda," we all know who really has one, don't we? i could shop at wal-mart but i don't for a reason other than being non-conformist.
              Very possible in Firefox.

http://mycroft.mozdev.org/

And it's extremely easy to develop your own.
              Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Oh, I forgot one hugely useful feature of Firefox that is the main reason I now hate using IE:

The address bar in Firefox is also the equivalent of an "I'm Feeling Lucky" search on Google. So if you type anything and press enter, it'll likely take you to the page you wanted.

For example:
                bbc news - takes you to news.bbc.co.uk
                wiki drogba - takes you to the Wikipedia page on Didier Drogba
                trenchwars forums - yes, it takes you straight here

If it's something that doesn't return a decent "I'm feeling lucky" link, such as "giant monkeys with hats on", it simply takes you to the actual Google search.

This feature (which surprisingly few people know about), for me, completely rids the needs of a search bar and is what makes Firefox my favourite browser.

Just one question, does Opera do this?
                USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                ---A few minutes later---
                9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                9:Kim> UM
                9:Kim> i didn't
                9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                9:pascone> lol?

Comment

Originally posted by jeem View Post
                  This is a default feature in Firefox:
                  USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
                  ---A few minutes later---
                  9:cool koen> you scorereseted
                  9:Kim> UM
                  9:Kim> i didn't
                  9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
                  9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
                  9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
                  9:pascone> lol?

Comment

i use firefox at home and have done so for years

at my work i'm forced to use ie6 ew ew ew ew

i've seen ie7 and it uses tabs etc but i still prefer firefox.

i don't have a problem with it crashing, or loosing bookmarks - btw it autobacks up your bookmarks in C:\Documents and Settings\<user>\Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\Profiles\

in a folder in there and stores them by naming the date created

if your firefox is crashing maybe try out that noscript extension to sift through what is allowed to execute javascript which can slow down your cpu or be poorly programmed (made that last bit up but i bet it's true ^^)
                    In my world,
                    I am King

sigpic

Comment

IE7 doesnt restore your session though when it crashes, does it? I cant remember it doing it for me (and it has crashed, its no better or worse when it comes to crashing for me). Though my crashing in Firefox do usually come from me opening like 10 tabs at the same time.
                      Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

opera restores where you left off as long as your computer is on so if it crashes, it can bring up all 15 pages you were looking at right back up when you reload it. and yes i know what firefox does, i have it. for opera i have this:

can any other browser do that?

edit:

also, there is a trash can on the main page that can bring up any page you closed in an instant (which i guess you could do in the others via history but it puts the ones you quit last up at the top). and finally, the newest feature is this "speeddial" thing that brings up 9 images (3x3) for your selection of most-visited pages that you can click every time you open up a new tab (instead of a blank screen like the others). so, if i were mantra i could have tabs on diso forums, tw forums, arsenal.com, gay swedes forum, etc. and each time you visit that page the image gets changed to the most recent update of that site. it's pretty fucking awesome.
                        Last edited by jeem; 11-25-2007, 02:08 PM.

Comment

u know how hotmail needs IE...ok..why is it everytime i check my hotmail i go to close IE7 and it will NOT close, i have to end the process....wierd

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
                            IE7 doesnt restore your session though when it crashes, does it? I cant remember it doing it for me (and it has crashed, its no better or worse when it comes to crashing for me). Though my crashing in Firefox do usually come from me opening like 10 tabs at the same time.
                            Yep, IE does this.
                            Music and medicine, I'm living in a place where they overlap.

Comment

IE does restore it? ok, I cant remember it really seeing as I dont use it a lot and thus that last time it crashed on me is a while back

And Money, hotmail works fine in Firefox for me.
                              Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

I always used IE til I heard that FF was way better. So I switched and now IE7 is out and really good. I've only tried it a few times but didnt like it because I'm so used to FF. I only recently added some add-ons and now FF looks like IE7. It's sort of a mix now between FF and IE7 when it comes to functions.

I dont do heavy duty programming, but FF has always worked fine for me, so I dont see a need to switch back to IE again.

Comment

Working...
                                X