No announcement yet.

just got my ubuntu cd!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yea i could have installed it in windows but all i did was put the cd in and boot from it, i never tried too install it or partition my drive, this stupid windows error has happened before now for some reason my xp cd wont boot up so i can fix it easily..

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
      Why burn? Get a program like Daemon tools or isohunt or whatever and mount them.
      ???

I am a complete tool when it comes to computer (its why I am not even gonna touch ubuntu, because I will fuck it up beyond belief)
      oh
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by Galleleo View Post
        Why burn? Get a program like Daemon tools or isohunt or whatever and mount them. I am a complete tool when it comes to computer (its why I am not even gonna touch ubuntu, because I will fuck it up beyond belief), but even I know how an iso works!
        You wouldn't be able to do that with Daemon Tools and Ubuntu. Isohunt is a bittorrent file searching site, they do more then ISO files. An ISO file is basically an image of a CD or DVD. I would go with another distribution over Ubuntu for people just starting out. SUSE is fairly easy to use but a Live CD copy is the best way to try it out without fucking things up. Knoppix is also a good distrobution but I think it's only meant to be used from a Live CD (Live CD = no installation. It loads off the disk and memory).

Comment

I live booted from the CD 3 times and it never did anything to my windows or made the slightest change to my hard drive.

What you want to do when you install Ubuntu, first thing, is go to add remove software, click show all, then type FIRESTARTER in the search. Install the FIRESTARTER firewall. you will then be firewalled. this is all i believe you need to do thats important

Comment

knoppix is great as long as you don't want to play video games.
            it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

Ok, so I mixed up ISOhunt and some other program besides Dameon that I have to mount .iso files.. points was, you can mount an .iso image and play it like that instead of burning it first.

But like I said, I don't really know tons about computers, nor care to know. My windows works just fine.
              Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

You can mount it in Windows, unfortunately the whole point of the disk is that you won't be using Windows. You burn it so that you can boot from it instead of the hard drive.
                USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

But cant you mount it, install it on a different partition and then when all works and stuff, delete windows?
                  Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Wouldn't installing on the partition require being in Windows? I think you're just complicating things. The LIVE CD lets you get sort of a sample test run with Ubuntu without messing with the bootloader or partitions. Besides the fact that anything you save while on it won't be there the next time you use the LIVE mode and that you can't access files under the Windows partition, it's splendid.
                    thread killer

Also who changed to pw to Squadless, how am I supposed to fly the banner of sucking at the game

Comment

fixmbr
                      -Dave

Comment

Working...
                      X