Evil Eye

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Evil Eye

So I have another research paper to do for another class. Thanks for all the great comments about building a wall, that paper is done. So moving on to the next...

Anyone here who has grown up in a family that believes in the evil eye? Please let me know. I'd like to ask a few questions. Thanks

Edit: Forgot to add, tell me what you think of when you hear the term "the evil eye." What do you know about it? Where have you seen it/heard/read it? etc etc

* I dont need historical accuracy, just what you know about it *
    Last edited by MirrorriM; 06-05-2008, 01:39 AM.

dont know exactly what it means to believe in the evil eye, but the phrase is used every once in a while in my house also referred to as stink eye
    TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
    TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
    Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
    - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
    Originally posted by kthx
    Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5ALIL7T764
      ?find dads revenge

Comment

well from what I know in my family's culture, the evil eye follows us all (kind of like our sins and satan and shit etc etc) we do little things to get rid of it so our lives can be peaceful (instead of life with gremlins fucking things up for us)
        sigpic
        All good things must come to an end.

Comment

Please tell me you are in highschool
          "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

Among my Greek relatives and perhaps among Greek people in general it’s very common to believe in this superstition. Basically they think that jealous or spiteful people can curse you by giving you an evil eye. The curse will then make you sick or give you bad luck or whatever. As a protection every one of my Greek relatives owns a blue eyed charm necklace.

Comment

i've heard it used to refer to the expression you give someone when you're pissed off at them. Also used by parents and/or pet owners when the kid/pet is doing something they shouldn't, right in front of them. As a note, the term stink eye is acceptable, but shouldn't be confused with asshole. As in, "Bob pissed me off, so I showed him my stink eye".
              .fffffffff_____
              .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
              .ffffff|ff __fffff|
              .fffffff\______/
              .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
              .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
              .fffff\________/
              .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
              .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
              .fff\__________/

Comment

evil eye, the eye on crosseyed people that looks in the opposite direction?
                Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
                2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
                2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

Top 5 forum threads of all time; followed by 5 pages of lols and a dramatic turn of events, Frodo won.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/view...topic_id=13512

This is what I think of when someone mentions an evil eye.
                  2:Displaced> k washed my nuts, hope they stop itching now
                  2:Displaced> now its my fucking foot that is itching, FOR FUCKS SAKE

2:Eeks> there was this girl that had a crush on me
                  2:Eeks> and she had the biggest boobs i've ever seen live
                  2:Eeks> had back problems too i think
                  2:Eeks> it was kinda disturbing when her boobs were bigger than her head

1:DangerGirl> spider, give your cap to era
                  1:spider> Wooooohoo!
                  1:spider> .*passes the hat*
                  1:Erathia> <eats the hat>

Comment

I've heard the term used in the context of person A tripping while walking as person B is staring at person A. I also know someone that put an evil eye in a window facing their crazy neighbour. Not sure who was crazier.
                    Will Thom Yorke ever cheer up? - ZeUs!!!

Comment

In Italian culture, the evil eye is believed to harm nursing mothers and their babies, bearing fruit trees, milking animals, and the sperm of men -- the forces of generation.

In response, Italian people often wear an Italian Horn, or Cornicello, which is a twisted, horn shaped amulet worn to protect against the evil eye. My great grandfather left two of these necklaces with my parents to give to us at the age of ten (he wasn't alive anymore). I still have it, and I wear it to funerals within the family.
                      7:Warcraft> Why don't white people hit their kids anymore?

Duel Pasta> great
                      Duel Pasta> I spilled juice on my face

Tower> NATIONAL WEED YOUR GARDEN DAY

TWLB Champion Season 12
                      TWLJ Champion Season 11
                      TWLB All-Star Season 10
                      Best undeserved TWL title winner in Trench Wars history

Comment

origins could relate to the occultist 'Eye of Providence'
                        sigpic

Comment

Working...
                        X