Creating something...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Creating something...

Basically im trying to look to create a help-line in my community for minority families looking for help about the unfamiliar territory of college admissions. I also look to couple this with a website that hosts displays FAQs about the process and have an option to ask one themselves. So...I know i have to register the program with my state. Can anybody give me some advice on where to start.
    4:BigKing> xD
    4:Best> i'm leaving chat
    4:BigKing> what did i do???
    4:Best> told you repeatedly you cannot use that emoji anymore
    4:BigKing> ???? why though
    4:Best> you're 6'4 and black...you can't use emojis like that

I can't really get what you need help with exactly from your post, it looks like with everything?
    Anyway, the first thing would obviously be to find out yourself how the application system works. I would list all possible grants people can apply to and describe short who is eligable and who is not, which is important for a lot of people coming from poor families (yes, I know this is implied racism, but sadly, minorities are usually the families with less money).
    Give a very thorough introduction how to write application letters and CV's.
    Get feedback from a college if possible.
    Once it looks decent, host it somewhere and let guidance counsillors from a local highschool take a look at it.
    Improve where needed.

I would do it roughly like that.
    "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

If you think minorities are the only ones poor, you'd be surprised at how many white people are put into that category as well.
      sigpic
      All good things must come to an end.

Comment

There are no minorities in our community, paradise. There are maybe 10 ethnic families in our district. And that's pushing it.
        Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
        1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
        1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
        1:Chao <ER>> at all
        1:Mantra-Slider> chao
        1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
        Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
        Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

If they're just 10 families, they appear to be in the minority =[
          "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

ROFL they already have enough help from the gov't, you dont need to make it even worse.
            I'm just a middle-aged, middle-eastern camel herdin' man
            I got a 2 bedroom cave here in North Afghanistan

Comment

Originally posted by Izor View Post
              ROFL they already have enough help from the gov't, you dont need to make it even worse.
              tax cuts for the rich :bigups:
              Originally posted by Jeenyuss
              sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Singularity View Post
                I can't really get what you need help with exactly from your post, it looks like with everything?
                Anyway, the first thing would obviously be to find out yourself how the application system works. I would list all possible grants people can apply to and describe short who is eligable and who is not, which is important for a lot of people coming from poor families (yes, I know this is implied racism, but sadly, minorities are usually the families with less money).
                Give a very thorough introduction how to write application letters and CV's.
                Get feedback from a college if possible.
                Once it looks decent, host it somewhere and let guidance counsillors from a local highschool take a look at it.
                Improve where needed.

I would do it roughly like that.
                Ok, ok. I get what your saying.

But, im looking to establish it w/o affiliation with the high schools. Since, like pandagirl said, there are no minorities in my area, i plan on creating like a 1-week seminar of just general advice for school in the actual big city. I was hoping i could somehow ask to rent out an elementary school or something.

Im doing this 75% for college application, but i can make this way bigger, i believe. What about establishing it within my state as a registered non-profit...? But idk i will maybe bring some of my friends to help me create it.

So in summation: I'm basically set with the material(using some of what you just said, thanks), i have a set of topics i believe i can cover with enough experience. All i need is the setting up part. I would appreciate anybody's input here.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango View Post
                  tax cuts for the rich :bigups:
                  Come on, don't you believe in the theory of trickle down economics? aka piss on the poor economics.

Comment

i think you should look up definitions of minorities......

also. there is enough help out there through high schools if people want to get it. they can also set up free appointments with college counselors. basically your just wasting your time.
                    (RoboHelp)>This message has been sent by Left_Eye:
                    (RoboHelp)>TW Staff are looking for players who play regulary and are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and who
                    (RoboHelp)>show a desire to improving the zone. If you are interested in joining TW Staff, e-mail
                    (RoboHelp)>TWStaff@gmail.com
                    (RoboHelp)>If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please use :Left_Eye:<Message>.

Comment

Originally posted by Heroin Bob View Post
                      also. there is enough help out there through high schools if people want to get it. they can also set up free appointments with college counselors. basically your just wasting your time.
                      This.

No offense, but your time would probably be better spent volunteering for non-profits that already exist. Your plan just seems forced and fabricated. Given your lack of experience in personally dealing with college admissions, just gathering a bunch of secondary information about the process doesn't exactly make you an authority on the subject.

If you want to make an information pack and put it out there for people, that's great. But I would avoid putting yourself and your buddies out there as experts on admissions by doing the whole seminar/non-profit thing.
                      Reclusion
                      "That's what's so illogical about being a smurf. I mean, what's the point in living if you don't have a dick?"

Comment

Originally posted by Reclusion View Post
                        This.

No offense, but your time would probably be better spent volunteering for non-profits that already exist. Your plan just seems forced and fabricated. Given your lack of experience in personally dealing with college admissions, just gathering a bunch of secondary information about the process doesn't exactly make you an authority on the subject.

If you want to make an information pack and put it out there for people, that's great. But I would avoid putting yourself and your buddies out there as experts on admissions by doing the whole seminar/non-profit thing.
                        I agree with you on the lack of experience part, so i've looked to something that i am well experienced in, French (Took AP exam test 11th grade). I want to keep the same time of outline but make it into a 4-week seminar on the basics of French, for every month, and depending on how many are interested and are looking to continue past the basics, i will maybe create one to for a second French class. Overall, just to stimulate learning, I've already found a potential grant for my future organization through my board of education, ......so, i still don't know about making it a nonprofit registered with my state. I've heard it takes months so idk, im thinking i will just stick with an Inc.

Comment

lol french? learn a language thats useful at least.

Comment

lol isnt there already 2134514634176134 programs for minorities regarding college?
                            Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
                            1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
                            Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
                            caco <ER>> )Oo
                            caco <ER>> bot thief!
                            caco <ER>> duel me for it
                            Evasive <E> no!
                            Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Originally posted by WuTang420 View Post
                              lol isnt there already 2134514634176134 programs for minorities regarding college?
                              dont you read? there are no minorities in their town
                              (RoboHelp)>This message has been sent by Left_Eye:
                              (RoboHelp)>TW Staff are looking for players who play regulary and are friendly, helpful, knowledgeable and who
                              (RoboHelp)>show a desire to improving the zone. If you are interested in joining TW Staff, e-mail
                              (RoboHelp)>TWStaff@gmail.com
                              (RoboHelp)>If you have any other questions regarding this issue, please use :Left_Eye:<Message>.

Comment

Working...
                              X