Major problems--should I care?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Major problems--should I care?

Some of you may be aware of my apartment problem that I wrote about a few months ago. If not, you can read about it here: http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=32950

I'm turning to the forums once again to update the story and get some more opinions about the serious mess that has unfolded.

To update from where I left off in the previous post: I refused to pay Leslie the security deposit until she repaired all the damage she did to the apartment. She wouldnt repair anything so I never paid her. She called a few months later demanding it again but I told her she was SOL. Never heard from her again.

So, my roommate Jenny decides to move out unexpectedly the first week of June. She not only left immediately, but moved to another country. She left me high and dry with her share of the rent to pay for June. Being that I cant afford another 500 bucks on my own, I asked my 2 other roommates to help me. They did not like the idea and were a bit mad at me that I had the gall to ask for them to help me. They told me they couldnt even afford to stay in the apartment til August, when they are supposed to move out. However, I convinced them that they would get their money back using the security deposit from the new roommates who would take my and Jenny's room, since I moved out June 13th.

Me and my 2 other roommates (lets call them the Asians for simplicity's sake), signed an agreement that by June 17th, my name was officially off the lease and the Asians agreed to all financial responsibility from that point forward. I offered to find them roommates for the apartment so they wouldnt have to when I left. So I find Jamie and Krystal, and they move in. Being that I never paid a security deposit, but Jenny did, I made things simple by asking for $350 from each of them (which would total to 700 for Jenny's deposit), which is a better deal due to the apartment's damages. Originally I planned to give Jenny the deposit, but due to her ditching me with no help at all with the situation and her also being one of the people to damage the apartment (and the fact she was in China and I couldnt contact her) I took it. I wasnt trying to make a profit, but simply pay the $350 back to the Asians that I borrowed from them and make up for the 170 I lost paying Jenny's part of the rent. I pocketed the 190 change, justifying it to myself because I found the roommates and bought cleaning supplies to fix the place up. I made it very clear why I was lowering the deposit for them and how they would get it back (by finding roommates like I did and getting it from them). I told them numerous times.

Ever since I left, I've had constant emails and voicemails from Jamie. "I cant get internet, I cant get the internet deal you had, how do you pay for the water bill? How do I sign the lease? The Asians arent paying their portion of the bills, can you tell them to pay?" Questions like that. To be nice, I answered them and helped them out. I even gave them an email contact of people who were interested in taking over the lease when it ended in August, so they wouldnt have to find new roommates. I explained that they could get their deposit back from these new roommates; or, if all of them moved out at the same time, the apartment complex would give them their deposits (this is what the apt. complex told me).

Fastforward to the last 2 days. Constant emails and phone calls. Ive put Jamie's number on caller id as "ignore" and "no ringtone" when she calls. However I still cant help but read her email. She is now worried about getting her deposit back. The Asians decided to ditch the apt. early (as in tomorrow). Jamie and Krystal never signed the lease (i dunno why, they claim my name was still on the lease and they couldnt sign it without me present, but I was officially removed and I have the document to prove it). She tells me that when the lease is renewed in August, the apt. complex wants a new deposit, and they wont give the original deposit to them when they move out, since theyre not on the lease. Instead, the original deposit will go to the Asians, since their names are on the lease. If Jamie and Krystal renew the lease, then they would have to pay the new deposit. Jamie asks the Asians for their half of the deposit, but the Asians say I didnt deserve to have 700 bucks, so they wont give it to them. Essentially, the Asians are taking 4 people's deposits for themselves when they only paid for 2 deposits. I tell Jamie that in the email. I had no idea that the apt. complex would even give out the original deposit when the lease was up and require a new one from whoever signs the lease.

Still with me?

I'm writing this at 4:30 am because I've gotten 2 phone calls in the past hour and 3 text messages. All from Jamie and her mom. I didnt respond to any of them, and right now I dont plan to at all. The urgency is because the Asians leave for Korea in 4 hours. I already emailed Jamie explaining this whole situation as thoroughly as possible a few hours ago and told her I couldnt help her anymore. I did listen to the voicemails and find it very...stupid (paraphrased):

"This is Jamie's mom. I'm a hard working immigrant who has respected this country. You are an American and I try hard not to think of you as the stereotype. I have worked very hard and I can not afford the money you are taking from me. You are white and I dont see how you will survive in the workforce with your morals. I thought you looked like trustworthy girl. You are a SWINDLER! A brat. You are not professional and you wont do well in the workforce. You lied to us and take our money without telling us the full situation. This goes on for about 15 minutes.

She calls again and continues with the same stuff...that's what I basically gathered, hard to understand. Jamie briefly talks too and claims she had "no idea" that she wouldnt get her deposit back from me. Her mom makes an incoherent threat, I believe she means she wants to take me to court.

Congrats if you made it this far, I tried to make it as short as possible but there are lots of twists to this story. In my last email to Jamie I gave her possible solutions to getting her money (sign the lease now, get the Asians to give half of it to her, contact the roommates I told her about, find new roommates and get deposits from them, etc). I really dont see how I have any responsibility in this manner.

I for sure didnt think all this crap would happen to them, but really is it my fault? Do you think I should respond?
    Last edited by MirrorriM; 07-25-2008, 08:10 AM.

Ahh white devil steal fwom hardworking immigrants!
    Seriously though, "the Asians" are at fault. This is obvious from reading your post and should be more obvious to Jamie. Sounds like she wants someone to blame who isnt about to disappear.
    sigpic

Comment

its her fault, she should have signed the lease with the asians. She knew she would have to, instead she blames you because she was too lazy to get her name on the lease, and trys to get you involved by saying her names on the lease. So i say fuckem
      Devest.proboards.com

2:Lance> OMG
      2:Lance> BCG is afking in my arena
      2:Master of Dragons> you got steve'd

Creator/Co-Creator of:

?go Prisonbreak, Twcountry, Hathunt, Treehunt, Birthday, Divbase, Defense, Devest, Trifecta, CSDOM, Brickbase, Sharkball, HateBase, Hatetf, Assassin, JavTerror, JavHunt, XmasZombies.

New Maps are in production...

Comment

Mirror I don’t think I’d ever want to be your flatmate :P seems like everyone is in the wrong but you!

This whole problem seems to stem from a silly set up to begin with

But uhm didn’t you kinda fuck over Jamie and krystal ?

You didn’t pay a deposit to the other girl stating damages but you get them to pay you a security deposit. Where these damages ever fixed?

You somehow justify it by saying well jenny didn’t pay her $500 in rent which is 100% nothing to do with those 2 or indeed the 2 asain flatmates who very kindly loaned you money despite being in financial trouble themselves, yet you charge $700 deposit . Keeping the extra for yourself. The 2 asian girls are pretty much responsible for any damages now and might have to use the security deposit you say they are stealing some off to fix damages other tennents caused.

I don’t think they have stolen anything, its you who didn’t pay a security deposit and yet charged 2 girls it and walked off.

When the girl before you looses her security deposit, the 2 girls replacing you loose $350 each and you walk away with $200 in your pocket and $500 off jenny’s rent paid for YOU by other people there is obviously something seriously wrong and you aren’t blame free.

All seems pretty shitty
        In my world,
        I am King

sigpic

Comment

no matter what you just said there it must be possible to say it in fewer words. im gona start reading now but i expect to at least understand the meaning of life and quantum physics when i am finished.

oh god
          Last edited by Fluffz; 07-25-2008, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Fuck it and get out of that mess. That's my opinion. If after June 17th you're no longer legally bound to that apartment, I'd say wash your hands of the whole thing.
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Originally posted by TagMor View Post
              Sounds like she wants someone to blame who isnt about to disappear.
              this

Originally posted by Fit of Rage View Post
              Fuck it and get out of that mess. That's my opinion. If after June 17th you're no longer legally bound to that apartment, I'd say wash your hands of the whole thing.
              and this

1st - obviously, even if you are completely in the right, as long as you are the only one there to bitch at, they're going to bitch at you. I wouldn't worry about the mom, if the girl has to get her mom invovled to yell at you, then she doesn't have her shit straight on her own to sue you.

2nd- GTFO as soon as possible, unless you want this to drag out. Your other roomates bailed, and even if it's not the most honest thing to do, you should too.

3rd- It's technically illegal to collect rent from someone who isn't on an official lease, and I'm guessing that extends to the security deposit as well. However, If you're no longer on the lease, I'd say you wouldn't be responsible for anything but paying back whatever "rent" you might have collected. This is the reason for getting on a lease in the first place, assurance that w/e monetary transactions have legal basis.

I saw all this unfold in The People's Court or someother TV legal shit. I'd seriously tell her you have no responsibility in the matter, and if she has any sense, she'd have signed the leased and reviewed its terms BEFORE shit hit the fan. I'd also point out that you are a FORMER tenent, not a landlord who should be responsible for other tenet's actions, reguardless if you "put" them in this situation or not.
              .fffffffff_____
              .fffffff/f.\ f/.ff\
              .ffffff|ff __fffff|
              .fffffff\______/
              .ffffff/ffff.ffffff\
              .fffff|fffff.fffffff|
              .fffff\________/
              .fff/fffffff.ffffffff\
              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
              .ff|ffffffff.fffffffff|
              .ff\ffffffffffffffffff/
              .fff\__________/

Comment

armchair lawyers COMIN' THROUGH

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

I'll clarify a bit more:

I dont live there, I moved to another state and she doesnt have my address, thank god.

Pressure: I immediately paid back the Asians. The whole point of asking for 350 from Jamie and Krystal was to give Jenny her security deposit back (I sense an odd pattern of me doing everything for everyone, but then somehow it turns into my fault), but since she left without paying her share of the rent I had to use it to pay back the Asians and myself. They agreed to 350 each due to the condition of the apartment. I handled everything about the apartment for those Asians including bills, finding them roommates, cleaning the place up to show the new people, etc. So if you think me taking the leftover 190 bucks is wrong then I guess I'm a swindler. I could have gone the bitch route, refused to let Jenny leave the lease, maker her pay her rent, not find roommates for the Asians (and therefore let them bay 2000 bucks for next month's rent by themselves instead of the measly 170 each to help me). Or I could have charged 700 each from Jamie and Krystal and taken it all.

I forgot to mention (yes there is more!) that while cleaning the apartment, I found a signed and dated "Apartment Evaluation" requested by Leslie that listed all the damages in the apartment and how much it would be to fix it all. I gave this paper to Jamie and Krystal as evidence to show that they did not cause any of the damages so they wouldnt be penalized by the apt.

Dank: The security deposit system is a messed up system. But that is exactly what the apartment complex told us to do; perhaps Jamie could take them to court if its illegal? Not gonna tell her that tho.

Thanks for your thoughts! Just trying to make sure I have nothing legally attached to this situation.

Comment

Not on the lease? Not your problem.

Stop doing everything for these idiots. Leave them behind like your roommates did you and get over it. It's not your responsibility anymore.

P.S.: Live alone next time :P

Comment

Originally posted by MirrorriM View Post
                      Pressure: I immediately paid back the Asians. The whole point of asking for 350 from Jamie and Krystal was to give Jenny her security deposit back (I sense an odd pattern of me doing everything for everyone, but then somehow it turns into my fault), but since she left without paying her share of the rent I had to use it to pay back the Asians and myself. They agreed to 350 each due to the condition of the apartment. I handled everything about the apartment for those Asians including bills, finding them roommates, cleaning the place up to show the new people, etc. So if you think me taking the leftover 190 bucks is wrong then I guess I'm a swindler. I could have gone the bitch route, refused to let Jenny leave the lease, maker her pay her rent, not find roommates for the Asians (and therefore let them bay 2000 bucks for next month's rent by themselves instead of the measly 170 each to help me). Or I could have charged 700 each from Jamie and Krystal and taken it all.

i answered in your first thread saying it was a crazy system and not like the one i'm in here where rights and deposits are protected by law and what happened to you couldn't happen here.

it leads to what happened in your case which was a mess

i know you paid the 2 other house mates back but they aren't a bank and a bank would want interest fees etc for a loan.

i dont think you a bad person at all , i've allways found you nice ingame

but reading your threads from only one side, ppl are getting fucked over right left and centre over these deposits and ppl quiting on rent!

you somehow found yourself liable for jennys rent (you shouldn't have been) so you thought i'll cover that with her deposit, but it didn't work out like that and now those 2 girls are getting stung for money

i don't think any of this is right but basically innocent tenants are paying up for others and the apartment complex and its shitty

EDIT: oh yea my orignal point is you got out ok others didn't, bad way to do deposits and i don't blame the other 2 girls for taking the deposit and going at all, this whole pay off the deposit from tenant to tenant should never been allowed
                      Last edited by Pressure Drop; 07-25-2008, 07:04 PM.
                      In my world,
                      I am King

sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it's a messed up system. Problem is, I told them exactly how the system works and now they're trying to change it to their liking. All they had to do was sign the lease or find new roommates to give them their deposit, but no one wants to do the work except me! I'm done with them.

Comment

A) I think you've mroe than done your share. I don't think you owe anybody anything at this point in time.

B) In my opinion, you were very professional. You signed everything needed, you got it all in writing, and as such you were rewarded by not having any money problems. The girls who moved in clearly weren't, if they didn't bother to get put on the lease.
                          The only TWO TIME TWLJ All-Star and TWLB All-Star who never played a game.

Originally posted by Richard Creager
                          All space detectives come armed with tcp/ip persona blasting pistols, it's required for their line of duty. Silly of both maisoul and goddess to not know this before hand, they get what they deserved, fucking zapped, bitches.

Comment

I was in a similar situation where the old renters had to claim the deposit back from the new renters and so on. Who the fuck invented such an idiotic system anyway.
                            It's not you who is in the wrong, but the system.
                            "... I have promises to keep, And miles to go before I sleep." -R. Frost

Comment

Working...
                            X