Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New computer setup - your thoughts? (be they useful or not)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New computer setup - your thoughts? (be they useful or not)

So I've run into some trouble with my motherboard that I can't work around and since it's been 3 years since I last updated I though what the hey - let's do a thorough overhaul on the system. So I believe I'm going to go with the following setup (changing my mobo, cpu, ram and psu):

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, 2.4GHz, LGA775, FSB1066, 2X4MB cache - processor (boxed).
    Antec NeoPower HE High Efficiency 430W PSU
    Asus P5Q Intel P45 LGA775 ATX-motherboard
    Kingston ValueRAM 2GB DDR2 800MHz Kit (2x1GB) CL6

Any comments, experiences? I could've gone with 1066MHz ram but decided to settle for this as it's somewhat cheaper. Buying that CPU means I don't intend to upgrade for a while..
    jee

btw this all is also the reason why i haven't logged on ss for what, 2 weeks now?
    jee

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
      btw this all is also the reason why i haven't logged on ss for what, 2 weeks now?
      i was worried

i heard about that car crash in your city
      Ferengi Rule of Acquisition #98: Every man has his price.

Comment

Lol

Comment

Originally posted by Saturn V View Post
          i was worried

i heard about that car crash in your city
          that actually made me lol
          7:Knockers> how'd you do it Paul?
          7:Knockers> sex? money? power?
          7:PaulOakenfold> *puts on sunglasses* *flies away*

1:vys> I EVEN TOLD MY MUM I WON A PIZZA

7:Knockers> the suns not yellow, its chicken
          7:Salu> that's drug addict talk if i ever saw it

1:chuckle> im tired of seeing people get killed and other people just watching simply saying "MURDER. RACISM. BAD"
          1:chuckle> ive watched the video twice now

Comment

You think 430watts will last you? I found a relatively dated and affordable graphics card a while ago, but even for that I needed 500+
            "People fear what they can't understand, hate what they can't conquer."

"Cherry blossoms in the Spring, and starry skies in the Summer. The Autumn brings the full moon. The Winter brings the snow. These things make Sake taste good. If you don't like Sake, then there is something wrong with you." Seijuro Hiko

Comment

kingston value ram is more trouble than its worth
              Ill-timed force will be ineffective; act with precision; timing is everything. Knowing where and when to strike is more important than strength; misapplied ability is disability. Unreasonable or undue force will defeat itself

1:money> lWTF I ASKED FOR BUTT SECKS AND U DIDNT GIVE ME THAT.
              1:money> i need a loose-meat butthole

Evasive <E> wtf
              Evasive <E> GIMME MY BOT
              caco <ER>> )Oo
              caco <ER>> bot thief!
              caco <ER>> duel me for it
              Evasive <E> no!
              Cigarettes> wunderbar?

Comment

Duel me!

Comment

RAM is pretty cheap so you could think about getting 2x 2GB
                  lemar> im seriously gonna get someone to hack your name and disolve that shit sqd of yours

Comment

Originally posted by RednaZ View Post
                    You think 430watts will last you? I found a relatively dated and affordable graphics card a while ago, but even for that I needed 500+
                    I don't see why it wouldn't, not a single PSU calculator I've used will go even close to 400W with my current setup + the new parts..
                    jee

Comment

Looks good.
                      You dont need 1066mhz ram, thats just expensive. I would go for 4 GB though, or you would have to upgrade it in 1 or 2 years.
                      A 430W PSU will prolly do for now, but if you are planning on ever upgrading your videocard or add some drives you might get close to 400 watt. And that makes your system less stable.

Comment

I wouldn't get the Quad core Q6600 tbh. If you realy want a Quad get a better one like the Q9450. Otherwise I'd go for a duel core E8400 / E8500.
                        Reason being that a lot of programs don't use the full potential of Quad Core CPU's just yet and by the time they will the Q6600 might be outdated.
                        2:Cig Smoke> why u challengin me to a duel
                        2:Cig Smoke> When i clearly am better
                        2:Miksel> becouse you think you great
                        2:Cig Smoke> how many titles have u won
                        2:Cig Smoke> im guessin 0
                        2:Cig Smoke> thdx
                        2:Miksel> elim 3
                        2:Cig Smoke> lol elim
                        2:Morgane> LOL
                        2:Enflame> haha
                        2:Cig Smoke> IM TALKIN ABOUT TWL

Comment

Originally posted by Blood View Post
                          I don't see why it wouldn't, not a single PSU calculator I've used will go even close to 400W with my current setup + the new parts..
                          Generally when picking a psu you want to take the total amount of power you use and add 25%. It has to do with the psu wearing down and becoming less efficient over the course of a few years, I think...

Comment

it amazes me how ppl skimp out on PSUs...im on a 1.8ghz SEMPRON LOL and i got 500watts..come on now

Comment

If you're building yourself, RAM is so cheap there's no way I'd go less than 4 gigs. As a matter of fact I'm probably going to upgrade to 8 here in a couple weeks.
                              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Working...
                              X