X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• obama 'to regulate bubbles'

oh - that's all we had to do.

http://www.politico.com/news/stories/0409/21393.html

But what Obama rarely says about ending the “cycle of bubble and bust” is this: He’s prepared to intervene to make sure that kind of red-hot growth doesn’t occur.

And he’s willing to do it with added government regulation if needed to prevent any one sector of the economy from getting out of balance – the way the dot-com boom did in the 1990s and the real-estate market did earlier this decade.
    ...or the "green tech" bubble obama is about to create

He said that’s one of the reasons why the Bush administration didn’t intervene in the housing bubble. “Nobody wanted to mess up the party,” said Oxley. “They were hoping against hope that it would naturally slow down. Not too many people are courageous enough to make that call.”
    I'm pretty sure the reason Bush didn't intervene was because the official position was that the housing market was fine?

“One man’s expansion is another man’s bubble,” said Dan Mitchell, a senior fellow at the libertarian CATO Institute. “I have a lot of doubts about the administration’s ability and willingness to solve booms and busts,” he said. “And I’m worried that it reflects an ideological hubris that the economy can be planned.”
    Let's imagine what would happen if Republicans and their big-business friends get a hold of Congress, and decide that all of their businesses deserve to expand while their competitors, oddly enough, need to be "de-bubbled"?

What of business entrepreneurs? Having to now look over their shoulder - lest someone decide they are growing too fast. This is "progress" - progress that will be monitored and decided by Obama.

What frightens me is how this shows the disillusionment of politicians. How would they pay for the regulatory agencies' creation? Tax money. What creates tax revenue? Economic growth. To willingly pass a plan that deliberately ignores its own serious funding paradox - to me, it shows that politicians truly do believe that money grows on trees. There is no thought about the fiscal constraints.

I hope this doesn't get past even the 'debate' stage - but the fact that Obama is seriously considering such a ludicrous idea really sort of puts me on edge, because he obviously has support for it. And that he could talk about something like that - which is so obviously unconstitutional it hurts - without any legal qualms also puts me on edge.

Am I out of touch with reality? Does this seem like a good idea?
    NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

What do you expect when his entire financial camp are the people who started causing all the problems in the first place.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Wait - they just figured out what THE problem is.

Top Economists: We Must Break Up Big Banks to Save the Economy

Really, guys? Too big to fail, completely bail them out, order a few banks to even merge... and now they want to break the banks up, because apparently this financial crisis was caused by us not enforcing the Sherman Anti-Trust Act... better reform that too...

"We have little to lose, and much to gain, by breaking up these behemoths, which are not just too big to fail, but also too big to save and too big to manage."
      Every time businesses get smaller, government gets bigger. Why - how - is government not 'too big'? What unique property makes business less transparent and manageable as they grow - but not public institutions?
      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

hey Jerome, I haven't read what you wrote yet, but on this topic the head of the congressional oversight for the government loans was on the daily show the other day, was wondering if you watched the interview. It was actually a really good interview imo and very informative. If you haven't, here's a link:

http://www.thedailyshow.com/full-epi...isodeId=224255

its the entire 2nd and 3rd part of the stream. will respond fairly soon after I have read your posts/articles.
        TWDT Head Op Seasons 2, 3, and 4
        TWL Season 14 & 17 Head Op
        Season 13 TWLD Champion, Seasons 13 & 14 LJ Champion

Winston Churchill: "That is the sort of nonsense up with which we will not put!"

Those who dare to fail miserably can achieve greatly.
        - John F. Kennedy

A sadist is a masochist who follows the Golden Rule.
        Originally posted by kthx
        Umm.. Alexander the Great was the leader of the Roman empire, not the Greek empire guy.

Comment

the CFO of Freddie Mac committed suicide today. Not a step in the right direction

Comment

Hmmm sounds like a weird idea, I don't think it would work. I hope this is just some talking point he's floating around to see if it will gain traction or not. Seems like a waste of time and political energy.
            Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
            www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
            www.animeslice.com

Comment

was hoping for a picture of barack blowing bubbles
              Originally posted by turmio
              jeenyuss seemingly without reason if he didn't have clean flours in his bag.
              Originally posted by grand
              I've been afk eating an apple and watching the late night news...

Comment

Where's barack obama?!?!

?!?!?

?!?!?

Comment

Working...
                X