broken mp3 player now linux booter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• broken mp3 player now linux booter

The front panel with buttons and display is busted off my 2 GB mp3 flash player and electronics are exposed. When plugged in it still acts as a drive that appears in my computer, so i got everything off it, formatted it and am now installing:

http://www.linuxliveusb.com

This will enable my broken $30 (price down to $25) Flash mp3 player to act as a linux booter with 850 MB available for persistence. This will act as redundancy backup in case of a failed hard drive, or some usage for live boot without having to use a CD.
    Last edited by Tone; 11-25-2009, 02:13 AM.

Don't you know? Mp3 players are just one more way for the alienz to tap into your braaaaaaain!!!11!
    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Originally posted by Fit of Rage View Post
      Don't you know? Mp3 players are just one more way for the alienz to tap into your braaaaaaain!!!11!
      Dude, give him a break. It's his first semi-normal topic I've seen him post. Though, I thought it was going to be about running Linux ON his MP3 player, which would have been much cooler.

Comment

I am now booted into Ubuntu 8.10 from my broken MP3 player with the electronics exposed and no front panel. In order to get it to work, you have to extract initrd.lz from its winrar pack in one of the folders, and you have to go into hard-disks in bios setup and set the USB device first which is not the same as changing boot order - the boot order doesnt work with my setup, it was in specify hard drive orders which is a separate thing. I have a 1024 MB persistence file that can save settings, i do not yet know if this will update using that, now loading update manager...

I am now downloading updates from update manager - i do not know if included in the packages will be the drivers to make the screen resolution better and nvidia work, those are usually separate icons that appear in a non-live session. may have to find it manually.

There is absolutely no hard drive usage, the hard drive light has not blinked, everything runs off the broken flash MP3 player from Sears Essentials
        Last edited by Tone; 11-23-2009, 02:49 AM.

Comment

pretty cool
          jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

ill have to take a picture later of what my computer is running on right now, its a GPX brand flash mp3 player with no front panel, that is busted off it, and the chips exposed. The hard drive is totally inactive, its all GPX and RAM memory

Comment

The updates are now installing, i have no idea if 1024 MB is enough room for the update to occur. an alternative would be to just get firestarter firewall and the drivers for screen resolution and sound to be good enough as a backup.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/nvidia

just forced the update to quit, going for Nvidia drivers and firewall instead of updates

Ok it wont update well so far but its very stable and comes with firefox and pidgin messenger. , lets see if i can make youtube work by giving firefox adobe
              Last edited by Tone; 11-23-2009, 03:20 AM.

Comment

this is all very exciting and i'm on the edge of my seat
                can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Sorry llya, but it turns out that doing update manager will ruin it all - i am now out of space, thats why i couldnt do the display drivers and adobe flash for youtube and hulu

everything has to be redone and you should always do minimum updates, never update manager.

This concludes TARPS session logged on to broken GPX mp3 player. will re-flash it one more time to get it right then store it for emergencies.

EDIT from back on windows: too bad i didnt read this first

http://www.linuxliveusb.com/step3.html

EDIT i am now all re-set up the right way. very stable. can IM, email, hulu.com videos. Cannot fix screen resolution out of 800 by 600. Busted in half MP3 player does very well to run a computer with no hard drive needed.
                  Last edited by Tone; 11-23-2009, 06:05 AM.

Comment

Using open source software is the only way to prevent Psy-Ops companies like Microsoft from turning your computer into a disinfo bot.
                    f

Comment

Is the computer running smoothly or is it really slow? This is pretty cool!
                      Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
                      www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
                      www.animeslice.com

Comment

Honestly it is running very smoothly and i fixed the screen resolution by edited xorg.conf. the way it works is clicking to load firefox may take 8 seconds instead of 3 seconds using hard drive or windows, then browsing is normal speed or about 1 second longer to post a reply in this thread

the silver part is a drive that takes SD cards , the first kind up to 2 GB

instructions:

Do not choose to install the launch inside windows function, keep the extra 200 MB instead. use the formatter built into this program instead of windows explorer right click. if its a 2 GB media and shows 1300 MB free for persistence, enter 1024 MB for the size. Enter a value slightly below what the max allowed is. If on booting it says cannot find image /casper/initrd.lz its because its initrd.gz in the casper folder and needs to be extracted with winrar to initrd then add the .lz extension by changing filename.
                        do not attempt to update ubuntu. tell update manger to never look for updates. install only limited amount of very small software. set firefox to clear temp files everytime it is closed

on boot from USB, hard drive light will only blink a split second then never again, because its detected to exist and is added to disks in 'computer' on gnome. even if there wasnt a hard drive it would still boot, work and go online.
                        Last edited by Tone; 11-23-2009, 04:40 PM.

Comment

I'm following tone's twitter
                          (ZaBuZa)>sigh.. i been playing this game since i was 8... i am more mature then ull ever be...

Comment

Here is a screen shot of me booted into my mp3 player which i very quickly upladed onto tiny pic with no problems - its as if im using a hard drive...

http://i49.tinypic.com/2wmf03b.png

and finally to conclude this thread, here are the proper instructions on how to fix screen resolution of live-sessions, everyone else gives retarded instructions or wrong instructions:

Step One: Open a Terminal and paste in:

Code:
                            sudo gedit /etc/X11/xorg.conf
                            Step Two: Under Section "Monitor" paste this:

Code:
                                    HorizSync       28-40
                                    VertRefresh     43-60
                            Step Three: Log Out of Ubuntu and Log back In (blank username)

The screen resolution will then be 1024x768 instead of locked into 800x600, this is the only post that gives you proper instructions on how to do this and ubuntu forums are extremely retarded and illogical.

Comment

I thought rockbox ran linux but after further investigation looks like it has its own kernel.

ps fit you messed up the quotations in your sig, the whole second line was in double quotes because I cannot take credit for it
                              USA WORLD CHAMPS

Comment

Working...
                              X