No announcement yet.

Computer & IT related questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

well if you're in grade school, sure you can ask your parents for help.

the questions you posted are obviously college level coursework.

anyway, this "argument" is over.

EL FIN

hope you get your assignment finished on time, dude.
    jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

I would like to help you, but my knowledge on hardware is limited and the little I know is outdated.

But since it's college you probably don't have to worry about it too much. Your teacher's knowledge is likely to be limited and outdated too.
      You ate some priest porridge

Comment

The questions are bullshit. Just write that, and explain why. You'll probably get full marks. I would.

1) File server - sure, you can have a file server, but nobody knows what it's used for. Is it just for storing files moved there by hand? Is it actively running backups? Is it serving home directories? What are the IOPS, capacity, throughput, uptime, stability & reliability, and replication requirements? What is the type of data stored on the file server (lots of small files vs fewer large ones?)? What are the access patterns? Sure, we could just take a shot in the dark at it, but the cost differences can be quite large.

2) Protection from what? Space aliens? Papercuts? Should we hire each a bodyguard? Maybe they need to be protected from running out of ink?

3) Depends on where the bottleneck is occurring! This question is bullshit because it doesn't tell you where the bottleneck is occurring. Is it on the switch itself on one of the ports? Is it a packets per second problem? Can it be solved by setting quality of service settings on the switch ports? Is it at a router or firewall which is unable to handle the packets at a high enough rate? Is it simply a topology issue? Maybe you can just take the person who is causing all the traffic out back and beat him until he stops.

Oh and you don't need fibre unless you're making long cable runs, or if you require 10 gigabit speeds over a distance greater than 10 meteres, or 1 gigabit over 90 meters. This is far! You can use twinaxial 10-gigabit copper cabling to connect local switches with mini-gbic ports over short distances. This avoids the cost of rather expensive 10 gigabit optics. Other than that, just use plain cat5e/6.

4) Wow, just wow.
        Last edited by DoCk>; 12-06-2009, 12:09 AM.
        TWSites.com - TWSites.com Web Hosting Services
        qan> dock's raw animal magnetism and sheer ability to reboot bot cores inspires lust in all genders :P
        3:wadi> no yawning on the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by DoCk> View Post
          The questions are bullshit. Just write that, and explain why. You'll probably get full marks. I would.

1) File server - sure, you can have a file server, but nobody knows what it's used for. Is it just for storing files moved there by hand? Is it actively running backups? Is it serving home directories? What are the IOPS, capacity, throughput, uptime, stability & reliability, and replication requirements? What is the type of data stored on the file server (lots of small files vs fewer large ones?)? What are the access patterns? Sure, we could just take a shot in the dark at it, but the cost differences can be quite large.

2) Protection from what? Space aliens? Papercuts? Should we hire each a bodyguard? Maybe they need to be protected from running out of ink?

3) Depends on where the bottleneck is occurring! This question is bullshit because it doesn't tell you where the bottleneck is occurring. Is it on the switch itself on one of the ports? Is it a packets per second problem? Can it be solved by setting quality of service settings on the switch ports? Is it at a router or firewall which is unable to handle the packets at a high enough rate? Is it simply a topology issue? Maybe you can just take the person who is causing all the traffic out back and beat him until he stops.

Oh and you don't need fibre unless you're making long cable runs, or if you require 10 gigabit speeds over a distance greater than 10 meteres, or 1 gigabit over 90 meters. This is far! You can use twinaxial 10-gigabit copper cabling to connect local switches with mini-gbic ports over short distances. This avoids the cost of rather expensive 10 gigabit optics. Other than that, just use plain cat5e/6.

4) Wow, just wow.
          lol, my teacher is 71 years old and starting to lose his mind. I noticed your location was LI, I'm at Hofstra right now, did you go there as well? If you did, you may know the teacher cause he's been teaching here forever, some of my other IT professors have had him lol

3. I assumed that we're dealing with a small business rather than a larger enterprise, so i talked about how fiber optic would be too expensive to implement compared to upgrading your Ethernet network to a 1000 baseT. Seem OK?

4. This one I just talked about the different uses for each processor and I also talked about the physical make-up of the processor for each one. Pretty satisfied with the answer I have for this one as well.

Questions 1 and 2 I've yet to work on as I'm pretty tied down with another assignment.
          For question 1, I am really not sure what the context he wants is but I would assume its as basic as it gets. Most of the questions are open ended. I'll probably include a discussion of the different RAID configurations for one, but the physical parts that are required for a file server, I really have no idea.
          For question 2, once again, not sure, any ideas on what to even research to get going on this one?
          2:Sauro> dp i placed 4th today at yugoh tournament
          Sauro> i traded e tele for 2 dark bribes and a primy today dp

2:Sauro> IM REARRAGNGING MYD ECK WTF
          Go go go!

Sauro> DARK MAGICIAN GIRL SHOWS CLEAVAGE OK
          Sauro> my fav card

1:Mootland Farmer> Duel, want to stfu please? Real m,en talking about Yu-Gi-Oh here
          1:Sauro> yea dp

1:Sauro> i love dick

Comment

Holy shit, did I just see Dock> post?

I just figured he got lost in Maple Story and forgot about us.
            Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Working...
            X