My blog.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My blog.

Hi boys and girls, so as some of you people know i started a blog. I'd love some feedback and some more readers.

There are a few posts up now, but it's still a work in progress, and i'm kind of new to the interface so i haven't figured out pictures and stuff yet. But it's coming.

http://somedumbguy.wordpress.com/201...alulator-mean/ is the link to the most recent one.

If you don't like it tell me why, and if you're a jerk it's even better.

-Addy
    There once was a man from Nantucket.

i think your apathetic approach to the blog is more humorous than the anecdotes you've shared so far.

i'd encourage you to maybe exaggerate in some areas so that the observations aren't so cut and dry. emphasize more on the stupidity of the observations (assume that your readers are equally as stupid as those on which you are commentating) go more 'louis black' on the world, but maintain a dry sarcastic wit.

include once in a while stupid things that YOU do

avoid cliches such as 'sharpest knife in the drawer'

give the reader more context about your life. what you're studying, where you work, etc.

also i'm drunk, so feel free to disregard all suggestions

Comment

thanks for the feedback! you are a doll.

When you say give them more context, should i do that in the posts? or in the about me section?

Comment

man oh man you gotta get that thing looking prettier!

so many awesome wordpress themes to choose from.
        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

i'm still new mr. syc0

Comment

i'm used to delivering critiques in a pretty straightforward fashion.

And I don't claim to be an expert on comedy, or writing in general, but although I may not be the most hilarious person, my fondness of comedy (obscure and mainstream) has led me to researching some of my favorites (the original cast of snl, monty python, andy kaufman, MAD, The New Yorker, etc) and most of my 'opinions' are based on what I've read from the 'greats.'

your stories show potential, but are a bit lackluster (I'm being redundant here)

as far as personal context goes, I think with a greater amount of posts, a lot can be revealed while remaining discreet. It wouldn't hurt, however, to be more specific in the about me section. That was the first link i selected after reading your most recent post before looking through the older ones.

Even if you'd like to remain fairly anonymous, you can still reveal what school you go to, what you study, etc. That may lend some insight when you discuss group projects or other subjects regarding your education.

talking about 1 out of 3 people who can adhere to a deadline isn't really funny, its just shit that happens, albeit stupid. It seems to me that there is a lot of stupid shit that people do that is just dumb, but its your job to make it funny. so far you're just telling us whats stupid, and people deal with that on a daily level.

As i said before, feel free to take a creative license, and also feel free to take examples from other people's lives.

for example, at my place of employment, i once answered the phone and said "Hello, this is blah blah blah, how can i help you?" And the decrepit old man at the other end warbled "Hello.......is this the internet?"

That's stupid and funny, but without elaboration its just another thing that happened.

Once when i worked at my old high school after i graduated, i had a concerned parent call in about their daughter's first class of the day. I answered and said "hello, Blah blah blah central high school, how can i help you?" and they promptly said "Yes, I have a question about my daughter's first period."

Off the top of my head, i said "i'm not sure i'm he person you should be asking about that, i can refer you to a local library," but either way it was a funny thing that happened but it doesn't necessarily stand alone by itself as an anecdote.

ok, well at this point i'm rambling...but the point is most people you ask would have a list of stupid shit that people have done/said, so your job is to take these situations and make them relatable and humorous.

remaining aloof and high brow will probably appeal to the demographic you're aiming for, so shoot for witty commentary and avoid cliches

and now that i've been repeating myself for several paragraphs, i shall retire, and probably delete the entire post tomorrow

Comment

Originally posted by Scurvy View Post
              i'm used to delivering critiques in a pretty straightforward fashion.

And I don't claim to be an expert on comedy, or writing in general, but although I may not be the most hilarious person, my fondness of comedy (obscure and mainstream) has led me to researching some of my favorites (the original cast of snl, monty python, andy kaufman, MAD, The New Yorker, etc) and most of my 'opinions' are based on what I've read from the 'greats.'

your stories show potential, but are a bit lackluster (I'm being redundant here)

as far as personal context goes, I think with a greater amount of posts, a lot can be revealed while remaining discreet. It wouldn't hurt, however, to be more specific in the about me section. That was the first link i selected after reading your most recent post before looking through the older ones.

Even if you'd like to remain fairly anonymous, you can still reveal what school you go to, what you study, etc. That may lend some insight when you discuss group projects or other subjects regarding your education.

talking about 1 out of 3 people who can adhere to a deadline isn't really funny, its just shit that happens, albeit stupid. It seems to me that there is a lot of stupid shit that people do that is just dumb, but its your job to make it funny. so far you're just telling us whats stupid, and people deal with that on a daily level.

As i said before, feel free to take a creative license, and also feel free to take examples from other people's lives.

for example, at my place of employment, i once answered the phone and said "Hello, this is blah blah blah, how can i help you?" And the decrepit old man at the other end warbled "Hello.......is this the internet?"

That's stupid and funny, but without elaboration its just another thing that happened.

Once when i worked at my old high school after i graduated, i had a concerned parent call in about their daughter's first class of the day. I answered and said "hello, Blah blah blah central high school, how can i help you?" and they promptly said "Yes, I have a question about my daughter's first period."

Off the top of my head, i said "i'm not sure i'm he person you should be asking about that, i can refer you to a local library," but either way it was a funny thing that happened but it doesn't necessarily stand alone by itself as an anecdote.

ok, well at this point i'm rambling...but the point is most people you ask would have a list of stupid shit that people have done/said, so your job is to take these situations and make them relatable and humorous.

remaining aloof and high brow will probably appeal to the demographic you're aiming for, so shoot for witty commentary and avoid cliches

and now that i've been repeating myself for several paragraphs, i shall retire, and probably delete the entire post tomorrow
              protected from delete

Comment

i read your blog and it was a pleasure getting to know you better

also, i'd like very much for scurvy to critique every boarder's posting style
                Last edited by Ilya; 03-03-2010, 10:59 AM.
                can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Hey guys, i need some help with my banner again, i decided mine looks like shit resized and i dunno if anyone can change what was made or deisgn something quick the size is 790x150.

Thanks fellas for the input and help.

Love ya guys.

Comment

Working...
                  X