X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Former Mexican president urges successor to legalize drugs

Former Mexican president urges successor to legalize drugs
    August 8, 2010 - Associated Press

MEXICO CITY - Former President Vicente Fox is joining with those urging his successor to legalize drugs in Mexico, saying that could break the economic power of the country's brutal drug cartels.

Fox's comments, posted Sunday on his blog, came less than a week after President Felipe Calderon agreed to open the door to discussions about the legalization of drugs, even though he stressed that he remained opposed to the idea.

Fox said places that have implemented the legalization strategy have not seen significant increases in drug use.

"We should consider legalizing the production, distribution and sale of drugs," wrote Fox, who was president from 2000 to 2006 and is a member of Calderon's conservative National Action Party. "Radical prohibition strategies have never worked."

"Legalizing in this sense does not mean drugs are good and don't harm those who consume them," he wrote. "Rather we should look at it as a strategy to strike at and break the economic structure that allows gangs to generate huge profits in their trade, which feeds corruption and increases their areas of power."

He said the government could tax the sale of legalized drugs to finance programs for reducing addiction and rehabilitating users.

Fox also called for the quick withdrawal of the military from public security work, a measure Calderon ordered when he succeeded Fox in December 2006 and stepped up a crackdown on the cartels.

Fox, who left office with low popularity, has been criticized by some Mexicans for implementing an anti-cartel strategy aimed at arresting the gangs' leaders.

The approach led to power vacuums that fed fighting among rival cartels, bringing violence that has killed more than 28,000 people since Calderon took office. The government says the largest number of victims have been tied to gangs.

Fox wrote that drug violence has damaged "the perception and image of the country, and economic activity, particularly in tourism and foreign investment."

Mexico already has some of the world's most liberal laws for drug users, after eliminating jail time for possessing small amounts of marijuana, cocaine and even heroin, LSD and methamphetamine in 2009.

In Latin America, several countries have decriminalized possession of small amounts of some drugs for personal use, but legalization has made little headway in the region.

The issue came up at public forum on crime attended by Calderon in Mexico City on Tuesday, where analyst and writer Hector Aguilar Camin said Mexico should take steps toward legalizing "all drugs in general."

"It's a fundamental debate in which I think, first of all, you must allow a democratic plurality (of opinions)," Calderon said. "You have to analyze carefully the pros and cons and the key arguments on both sides."

Hours later, Calderon's office issued a statement saying that while the president was open to debate on the issue, he remained "against the legalization of drugs."

In his blog, Fox harshly criticized rampant drug violence, writing that "the first responsibility of a government is to provide security for the people and their possessions ... today, we find that, unfortunately, the Mexican government is not complying with that responsibility."

The city most affected by drug violence has been Ciudad Juarez, which lies across the border from El Paso, Texas.

Four senior federal police commanders in Ciudad Juarez were removed from their posts after subordinates accused them of having links to drug traffickers.

The action by the Public Safety Department came just hours after 200 federal police officers detained one of their superiors at gunpoint Saturday, alleging he had connections to drug cartels and participated in kidnappings, killings and extortion.

The department said in a statement late Saturday that the commander held by officers earlier in the day was being transferred to Mexico City along with three other officials. All will be investigated for "possible irregular conduct," it said.

who gives a fuk about mexico???
    sigpic
    All good things must come to an end.

Comment

fuck outta my thread with all this negativity

Comment

fuck outta my fourmz wit all dis homosexuality
        sigpic

Comment

who u tryna get crazy wit esse?

dont u know im loco?
          FrozenSand> have you ever put a coke bottle in your butt?
          Mira.Girio> I don't think I've ever experimented with coke products. >.>
          FrozenSand> oh you're a pepsi guy?

captain Ky> will the guy with the AOL add banner please insert his head up hiw on ass till he dissapears from our universe entirely. Thank you.

RuBbEr BoMb> woot hellkite parked in fr like my wife
          Burzum> meaning what
          Burzum> took him 4 minutes to get in?
          RuBbEr BoMb> meaning he aimed for flag and ended up on roof

Comment

californians remember to vote yes in november k thx
            Originally Posted by HeavenSent
            You won't have to wait another 4 years.
            There wont be another election for president.
            Obama is the Omega President.
            http://wegotstoned.blogspot.com/

Comment

da1 i wanted to talk to you about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Sauna_Championships

it's in my favorites awaiting our discussion
              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Former President Vicente Fox is joining with those urging his successor to legalize drugs in Mexico, saying that could break the economic power of the country's brutal drug cartels.
                This is bullshit.
                The cartels don't get their economic power from selling illegal drugs in Mexico, they get it from selling to the U.S.
                Legalization in Mexico will do nothing but aid the cartels in moving large amounts into the United States.
                My guess is this is a political movement funded largely by the cartels to aid their exuberant post-NAFTA expansion plans.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by gran guerrero View Post
                  who gives a fuk about mexico???
                  why are you trash talking your native country, maricon?

Comment

Calderon is the last person to ever legalize drugs..

thanks for posting a useless article tho, these forums would be completely empty without em..

Comment

Originally posted by TagMor View Post
                      This is bullshit.
                      The cartels don't get their economic power from selling illegal drugs in Mexico, they get it from selling to the U.S.
                      Legalization in Mexico will do nothing but aid the cartels in moving large amounts into the United States.
                      My guess is this is a political movement funded largely by the cartels to aid their exuberant post-NAFTA expansion plans.
                      legalization will bring that economic power to mom and pop and jose gonzales, and when we in america decide it's time to buy drugs, where are we going to go? to sweet, old grandma Miguela, or a shady, angry looking Mexican gangster with an AK-47?

my guess is that when you look at Portugal and their decriminalization that's exactly what happened, so i guess my guess isn't a guess but fact.
                      NOSTALGIA IN THE WORST FASHION

internet de la jerome

because the internet | hazardous

Comment

Originally posted by soupero View Post
                        why are you trash talking your native country, maricon?
                        Do you love me or something? Always responding to my posts, go away fag^

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post
                        legalization will bring that economic power to mom and pop and jose gonzales, and when we in america decide it's time to buy drugs, where are we going to go? to sweet, old grandma Miguela, or a shady, angry looking Mexican gangster with an AK-47?

my guess is that when you look at Portugal and their decriminalization that's exactly what happened, so i guess my guess isn't a guess but fact.
                        I don't know if I can trust mom and pop, they can be scheming motherfuckers. At least the guy with the gun wants one thing: money.
                        sigpic

Comment

This drug thing, this ain't police work. No, it ain't. I mean, I can send any fool with a badge and a gun up on them corners and jack a crew and grab vials. But policing? I mean, you call something a war and pretty soon everybody gonna be running around acting like warriors. They gonna be running around on a damn crusade, storming corners, slapping on cuffs, racking up body counts. And when you at war, you need a fucking enemy. And pretty soon, damn near everybody on every corner is your fucking enemy. And soon the neighborhood that you're supposed to be policing, that's just occupied territory.
                          Originally posted by Tone
                          Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Jerome Scuggs View Post

You are talking about drug tourists. I am talking about importation into the U.S, which will still be illegal. Do you think "mom and pop" are going to cross the border with a bootload of cocaine?
                            Importing drugs into the U.S will still be in high demand and dangerous as fuck, and left to organisations with the resources to do so efficiently. I.e. the drug cartels.
                            You mention Portugal and how the street level dealers are mom and pop type operations which are relatively condoned by the community. But where do you think "sweet, old grandma Miguela" gets her drugs from? The criminal organisations still control the drug trade in Portugal, legalisation has just given them a wider array of street peddlers.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by TagMor View Post
                              You are talking about drug tourists. I am talking about importation into the U.S, which will still be illegal. Do you think "mom and pop" are going to cross the border with a bootload of cocaine?
                              Importing drugs into the U.S will still be in high demand and dangerous as fuck, and left to organisations with the resources to do so efficiently. I.e. the drug cartels.
                              You mention Portugal and how the street level dealers are mom and pop type operations which are relatively condoned by the community. But where do you think "sweet, old grandma Miguela" gets her drugs from? The criminal organisations still control the drug trade in Portugal, legalisation has just given them a wider array of street peddlers.
                              Yes... then they get deported back over and cross again. Half the trip will be paid by tax payers. :P

(That's a joke and all, but I wouldn't be all that suprised if that scenerio became true.)

Comment

Working...
                              X