USB-untu: New Custom Ubuntu Variant .iso in production

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USB-untu: New Custom Ubuntu Variant .iso in production

To the one who wants more info on installing Ubuntu or Linux on USB Flash Drives as emergency backups

look up Linux Live USB Creator in google, a program for windows

use this command when done and booted into it:

sudo apt-get purge ubiquity

Currently i am working on a .iso of a modified Ubuntu called USB-untu or USBuntu that is specifically setup to work best with USBs. The key feature is it being set to use only RAM Memory in caching, thus allowing even entire shows or movies on hulu in the like to be cached into RAM never causing any writing on the USB like default would.

..among other modifications such as a top button that will show true persistence file usage which disk usage analyzer cannot show.

i cant get it to work completely right yet, Remastersys is tricky and doesnt always work properly. Right now im on a hard drive and the master system that will render a .iso, based on Ubuntu 10.10 with latest updates.

sounds a bit like
    http://www.puppylinux.com/
    In my world,
    I am King

sigpic

Comment

Mine is set to use only RAM in caching , which is a nothing too special very simple thing to do but you have to make it a default because no one else will do it, even if you leave a note telling them to.

so suppose you browse and watch long videos. you save a a gigabyte per day or more of USB writes that would have otherwise been wrote to USB

im not sure if puppy linux has that setting, and you dont need to scale back everything like puppy, Ubuntu boots in 40 seconds on a Patriot Xporter.

Secondly, mine comes with a button you press when you want to clear the RAM memory to free most it up, and it comes with a better default appearance scheme among other things

it also comes with a USB icon you press in to see how much of the persistence file is in use, as Disk Usage Analyzer in accessories cannot do this to my knowledge.

and some other stuff, the main thing though is configured to use RAM

Example: right now if i go click on a 350 MB AVI video to download and i press "Open with VLC" instead of "Save" it will go straight to RAM and cause zero USB Writes. Besides embedded flash players.

Comment

nifty!
        jasonofabitch loves!!!!

Comment

Comment

Working...
          X