Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fuck tim tebow

Comment

I think you should give yourself a time limit on trying things out. You will be surprised how many of your 'dream jobs' don't turn out half interesting as you imagine them to be (that is from very personal experience).

I disagree with most people who think money is everything. With that said I do think money carry some importance.

You see, I despite people who 'sell' their happiness for money, but on the same hand, I doubt poor people can be happy for long (thus it is hard to be poor and happy always).

Strike a balance is the key.

When you are 25 and fresh out of uni with 1-2 years slighly relevant experience, many companies are willing to give you a try. But once you get over 40, the game is over. So if you want to try something, do it young because you still have a couple of years before you can start all over again.
      ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Comment

I'm great at writing and math, but I'm way more interested in the body and mind. Therefore I'm studying pre-medicine (body) and majoring in Psychology. I'm not going to be using my writing and math skills as much but I've decided that what I'm doing is what I love. However, I don't quite know if I'd like to do practical doctor work (surgery) or research, as they're both so appealing to me.

Comment

ima go fuk a melon

mmmm

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Originally posted by Ephemeral View Post
            I used to believe that you should always do what makes you happy. I no longer think that at all, sometimes it ruins what makes you happy. For example if collecting coins is something that makes you intrinsically happy, opening a retail coin shop or getting into the coin business can easily turn what was once an enjoyment into nothing more than a job. I did what I enjoyed for the first quarter of my working career, when you are young being poor but happy doesn’t seem to be a bad thing. But I found that being poor got old pretty fast, induced extra stress and I began not being able to envision achieving some of things I wanted to do in my life. I also realized that in this world the highest paying jobs were also the jobs that generally carried more stress. So if I was going to deal with stress, why not get well paid for it? Plus by separating my ‘job world’ from my ‘what I enjoy world’ I find that overall I am generally happier.

If you don’t believe me about this, consider TW. How many people have joined staff and dev team to only look up one day and think, ‘this shit sucks, why am I doing this’? They took something they enjoyed but it turned it into something that they no longer like at all.
            eph
            Listen to this man
            Epinephrine's History of Trench Wars:
            www.geocities.com/epinephrine.rm

My anime blog:
            www.animeslice.com

Comment

so the moral of the story is to have lots of sex
              sigpic
              All good things must come to an end.

Comment

It also depends on how realistic it is what you want to be doing. For instance I would love to be a professional football player, or golfer, but it's not realistic for me to try to become one because I know that I'm not good enough and I lack that tiny bit of talent needed to really make it. However if it's something that you could become good enough at to do it even if it means spending the first years earning little to nothing with realistic expectations of making it your job in the long run.

There are several things to consider:
                How realistic is it that you can make a good enough living off it?
                What kind of responsibilities do you have?
                Basically Eph's post
                What are you options if you fail?
                And probably more.
                Maybe God was the first suicide bomber and the Big Bang was his moment of Glory.

Comment

Originally posted by Money View Post
                  fuck tim tebow

lol'd
                  Fuck it.

Comment

Originally posted by apt View Post
                    I know this is most likely the worst place to ask this sort of question, but I don't frequent any forums, well including this one. And I have no interest in googling some life coaching/self help/ask lucy type shit and then registering for it.

Simple question.

What do you do if you are very skilled at a certain life task, let's say whether it be helping people, math, architecture, computer programming, so be it, you get it. But, it's not what you would like out of life.

Moreover, you would prefer to work in another field, or you dream of pursuing another field whether because it pays more, or because of the lifestyle that it brings.
                    Hello old friend. Back from your tour of duty?

As Freakonomics would have it, you should do what you love and pay for it by doing what you're good at. I struggle with the issue of "how much is enough" quite often, and the reality is it'll never be enough.
                    TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                    TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                    TelCat> i dont

Comment

basically, i'm good at hospitality but it's such a retarded field I don't want to work in it. I want to work for myself pretty much.

So anyways long story short, I left my really good hospitality job of 70k+ a year, to daytrade in the markets. Needless to say I lost all my money. I am dead broke.

And as I turn 27 this year, it's time to lay down some foundation and seriously consider what I want to do with my life.
                      1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

Juice

Comment

That sucks. I have friends who tried to do trading in addition to their jobs and lots large gobs of money.

In your case, I'd go back to doing hospitality to get some money (gotta eat, right?) And then consider next steps. If you like trading, why not do it as a side thing, and don't go all out on it? I do some trading too, but it's only with a portion of my savings.
                        TelCat> i am a slut not a hoe
                        TelCat> hoes get paid :(
                        TelCat> i dont

Comment

I worked in finance IT for 5 years. It is hard to make money from the market as an amateur trader. Most of the people I know of, lost money.

Investment banks derivate a good part of their profit by charging their investors in terms of brokage.

If you really like trading, you should join an investment bank or trading firm and play with other peoples money.

Back to the topic, if you really think hospitality is not the field you want to be in, can you get into another field that might potentially interest you and with some growth potential? The best way to do it is actually doing another university degree.

I know everyone is different, but I think there are plenty of jobs out there that are both fairly interesting and pay decent.

Don't just think it is either money or interest, think in between. No job is hunky-dory in the long run. But consider you have to spend a good part of your life working (unless you win lottery, inherit a big sum, permenantly disabled etc.), you might as well find some thing you would like to do.
                          ☕ 🍔 🍅 🍊🍏

Comment

if you hit a midget in the head with a stick he turns into 40 gold coins.
                            Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                            sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by T3l Ca7 View Post
                              I worked in finance IT for 5 years. It is hard to make money from the market as an amateur trader. Most of the people I know of, lost money.

Investment banks derivate a good part of their profit by charging their investors in terms of brokage.

If you really like trading, you should join an investment bank or trading firm and play with other peoples money.

Back to the topic, if you really think hospitality is not the field you want to be in, can you get into another field that might potentially interest you and with some growth potential? The best way to do it is actually doing another university degree.

I know everyone is different, but I think there are plenty of jobs out there that are both fairly interesting and pay decent.

Don't just think it is either money or interest, think in between. No job is hunky-dory in the long run. But consider you have to spend a good part of your life working (unless you win lottery, inherit a big sum, permenantly disabled etc.), you might as well find some thing you would like to do.

First she says life is over at 40 and now she recommends screwing with other people’s money. Telcat's 5 years of groping through the first part of her career in hopes of finding happiness and wealth have been interesting to watch but it doesn't appear to me that she has found either.

Telcat says 'play with other people’s money'. Sounds like a great place to be after a 40 year career and looking back, 'gee, I screwed 1000s of people out of their money while adding no real value' instead of 'gee, I worked hard and contributed in a meaningful and productive way'.

Don’t listen to these fools who say that ‘doing something you like’ is a panacea. Every job will give you those days in which you think they will never end. Every job will give you days where you begin to understand why people sometimes go postal. When you hit those days in a ‘dream job’ where you are doing something ‘you love to do’, you will be taken to new lows.

Others have said it in this thread, figure out what your strengths are, if you are a good communicator than seek a job that allows you to tap into that. If you are very organized, use it. (If you are a good communicator, are well organized AND pride yourself on being to get the job done, find a job in any company as a project manager.) Point is, figure out which personal attributes made you a good fit with the hospitality industry, then apply those same attributes to where ever you can find a good opportunity (in any industry). What makes people happy is being able to use the attributes that make them good (succeeding) in an interesting and productive way. Attributes are not the same as knowledge, knowledge is teachable. Attributes come naturally, more innate to your personality. Tap into those and you will find a much better chance at having money and happiness.
                              eph

Comment

I don't know if I have the time nor energy to search out a degree. Guh, i dunno I'm just making excuses maybe.

I think I'm going to drown myself in marijuana and alcohol right now.
                                1:Jerome> ON THE THIRD DAY GOD CREATED THE REMINGTON BOLT ACTION .33, AND SAW THAT IT WAS GOOD, AND ON THE FOURTH DAY HE USED IT TO KILL DINOSAURS AND HOMOSEXUALS

Juice

Comment

Working...
                                X