Making Beans/Homemade Chicken Stock/Soups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Making Beans/Homemade Chicken Stock/Soups

It just so had it that I found this gift certificate for a spiral cut honey baked ham while digging through some old papers about a week ago, so I went to the place (logan farms) and picked up my ham and ate most of it. Anyways not being the type of person to let anything go to waste anymore I decided to use the ham bone to make a pot of beans (probably has about.. 2 lbs of ham still on it). So I figured I would tell you guys the recipe should you ever want to make em.

I use a mixture of Kidney Beans, Red Beans, Lentils, Garbanza Beans, and Lima Beans first and foremost, I let em soak all night and then in the morning I get the chunk of ham bone that I saved and I stick it in a crock pot.

After that I slice up two onions, eight cloves of garlic, a jalapeno, a serrano, and two shallots really small and toss it in the bottom of the bowl. I then stuff as many beans as I can into the pot, pour water on top until its about an inch above the beans and start cooking it after that step is done.

After all the stuff that needs to basically disintegrate into the beans is cooking at the highest temperature I toss in all the dry and liquid ingredients that don't need to break down. I toss in some black pepper, some coarse sea salt, worcestershire sauce, molasses, brown sugar, ancho pepper powder, chipotle pepper powder, and a little bit of stone ground mustard and sorta stir the top of water where all this stuff is just sitting until it starts mixing into the water evenly without puling up all the veggies. I just let that cook tightly covered with a towel over the lid to make sure it "pressure cooks" as much as possible because the longer it cooks the more marrow is drained out of that ham bone and the more flavor the beans will have.

Really good, and you can always buy some ham hocks at the store if you want to make this without spending like 40 bucks on a spiral cut honey ham.

-----

So recently because chicken is so fucking expensive these days we have started to buy whole chickens and just cooking those and getting the breast meat and drumsticks off of them, its basically like half price and not really much harder, especially if you buy a decent brand of chicken that is already cleaned well. So I also like to make lots of soups, potato and tortilla and my personal favorite chicken and dumplings and I end up spending like 10 dollars on chicken stock and chicken broth to use as a base for my soups.

So anyways after I cook the chicken and pull all the good meat off of it I throw the rest of the meat (usually dark meat since it has the most flavor/fat) and the bones back into a pan, and put about half a gallon or so of water into it. I cut up two onions, a few stalks of celery, some carrots, some garlic, and add some salt and pepper into the sauce.

After you got all that mixed in you need to cook it for a very very long time on a simmer.. generally around 10-12 hours, the longer you cook it the more the water evaporates and the stronger broth you are going to get, if you let it cook down even more where it turns almost a brown color you are getting chicken stock out of it.

Anyways after you cook it down till you think its ready, get a big bowl and strain it like 3-4 times to get out all the skin and bone pieces etc, and then let it cool down and stick it in the fridge overnight. The next morning there will be probably about a.. 1-1 and a half inch layer of fat on the top that solidifies in the cooler temperature, you can scoop a majority of that off but keep some of it as it has tons of flavor.

Anyways instead of spending like 8 dollars for 2 lbs of chicken breast and 10 dollars for chicken broth/stock for soup bases I spend like 5 dollars on a whole chicken and a few vegetables and it tastes much better anyways.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Figure since I tossed up my bean recipe ill toss up my potato soup recipe.

I basically chop up a onion, two-three shallots, 3 cloves of garlic, 2 potatoes (need 4) and toss it into a pot with about half to 3/4 of the pot being full with chicken stock/broth mixture (after you add these ingredients) and I let that cook for about six hours until the onions and garlic have melted into the broth. I then slice up about 15 stalks of green onions and toss it in, add some coarse sea salt and some coarse black pepper and let it cook for another hour or so. About an hour or so before its ready, cut up the other 2 potatoes and toss those in, the reason for this is so the starch from the first two potatoes thickens the soup and you still get to eat some real potato bites from the fresher potatoes.

Anyways cook on simmer for about an hour, and then turn off the heat, let it cool down for a few minutes and then mix in about a half liter of heavy cream or half n half, also sprinkle in a bag of shredded cheddar cheese, and then for the final touch cook a lb of bacon till its extra extra crispy and toss it in that shit, its hella good with sourdough btw.
    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Sounds good.
      I make a similar chicken soup from the leftover roast carcass.
      Make/strain broth, separate and add meat.
      Fry up some onion, bacon and garlic then throw into broth with some creamed corn, leak and celery.
      Simmer for at least 8hours.
      Then about 15mins before serving add chopped spring onion and crushed Thai rice noodles (thick ones).
      You can also take it off the heat and gently stir a beaten egg through it.

Why dont you boil the ham bone overnight while you are soaking the beans?
      sigpic

Comment

It isn't needed, with the pots that I have and then the extra containment of a towels I put above it it basically turns the pot into a pressure cooker which can "slow roast" things at a much faster rate. After cooking the ham in the beans for about 12 hours the marrow is completely gone from what is left of the bones. On top of that I purposefully leave a lb or two of meat on the bone so that it falls apart and you get some shredded pork in every bite of beans, and it happens naturally. If I had boiled the ham the night before I think the meat would get too tough.
        Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

ahh ok yeh the meat would taste like cardboard if you boiled it for 12+ hours.
          Another great ingredient for soups: Barley.
          sigpic

Comment

Haven't cooked with it much, I need to try it though.
            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

wash it all down with Samuel L Jackson beer!

mmmmmm mmmmmmm bitch
              1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

kthx i made your cauliflower again with a salmon

it straight ruled. only thing i woulda changed is i woulda used 2 big shallots instead of 1

can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

Originally posted by Ilya View Post
                  kthx i made your cauliflower again with a salmon

it straight ruled. only thing i woulda changed is i woulda used 2 big shallots instead of 1
                  If we were not so sure you were a gaylord already...we would be now.

Comment

thankyou Ilya, kind sir.
                    Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

Originally posted by Oranje View Post
                      If we were not so sure you were a gaylord already...we would be now.
                      dirl tyvm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                      5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                      5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                      5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Teflon dramatically increases your risk of cancer. The manufacturing process is also extremely hazardous to the environment.
                        Please don't use it.
                        sigpic

Comment

Hey oranje remember when you said you liked me and I shut you down and you tried to play it off as an insult and now you're butthurt over it?

I do
                          can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

He told me that he respected me deeply also, it was hilarious. Now when I login to continuum once every 3 days I have five messages from him half saying something stupid and half asking me for forgiveness, guy has problems.
                            Rabble Rabble Rabble

Comment

gosh you guys are so gay for cooking!!!!!

ps, i made veal parm on thursday before i left town and it was great.

pounded the veal cutlets to about 1/8 to 1/4 inch. standard dredge methon for pan frying. flour -> milk and egg -> breadcrumbs
                              though to the flour and breadcrumbs i added some spices. mainly: paprika oregano thyme garlic cayenne onion and then salt and pepper

anyways, dredged in the flour, then to the eggwash, then to the breadcrumbs. melted about 2 tablespoons of butter and a bit of olive oil in a stainless pan and let each side go for about 2 minutes.

i rough chopped half an onion and sweated for a minute then deglazed the pan with a little white wine. i added some chopped tomatoes and a little more of the spice mixture i mentioned earlier.

i served over some angel hair pasta then grated kind of crappy parmasean cheese on it becuase i couldnt find the good stuff on short notice.

edit: that spice mixture is emiril's recipe for his 'essence' or whatever. i used the same spices but mixed up the ratios some. mainly i built it out of much more cayenne than what was called for.

1996 Minnesota State Pooping Champion

Comment

Working...
                              X