• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• attn: ilyaz and other people with financial wisdom

drop me some knowledge bombs

Roth 401k
    IRA
    Roth IRA

Which one do I want and what factors contribute to that decision? I'm going to have to start investing for retirement and I would like to do it as smartly as I can when I'm young. Obviously saving more is better, but what benefits/restrictions can I expect with each one? I looked at the wiki comparison table but it just left me more confused.
    5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
    5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
    5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

if your company matches any money to your 401k, first the contribute the max of their match to it. for example my company matches 75% up to 9% of my salary, so i donate 9% of my salary. this is the best thing cause you're getting free moneyz from your company + it grows

the rest of it i put away in a roth ira. a max of 5k a year. it has no tax implications now and you wont have to pay taxes on it later. i also really like it cause most places you have a roth ira account in let you trade stocks, so i just have a portfolio of stocks and i trade them with my roth ira money and dont pay taxes. of course if you dont wanna trade theres just funds you can put it in

you get to deduct traditional ira from your taxes now but i don't think it's worth it. you're not paying that much now (relatively) anyway. its better to let the money grow tax-free in a roth ira. also with a traditional ira you'll have to pay income tax when you withdraw the money when you're an old fuck

llater,
    ilya goldman
    Last edited by Ilya; 07-25-2011, 09:50 PM.
    can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

What about for Canadians?
      Less QQ More pew pew

Comment

That's about the most useful thing I've ever heard on these forums............. ever.

Comment

Well it was posted by a true American hero.

And he has a library card!
          duel pasta <ER>> i can lick my asshole

Mattey> put me in corch

zidane> go kf urself pork

Comment

Waiting for the official job offer tomorrow but my understanding is that they do a standard 401k with 100% matching up to 10% of salary. If I contribute the full 10% I will hit the 16.5k annual contribution limit between 8-9 years of working the same job. At that same time, I should have about 150k in 401k.

My understanding is that the difference between a Roth and Traditional IRA is that Traditional you pay taxes on the amount invested in the year that you invest it and Roth you pay taxes on the amount withdrawn in the year you withdraw. If the expected return is approximately 8% and the tax is almost assuredly higher than that, wouldn't it make more sense to pay tax on the lower amount and reap the benefits (ie a traditional IRA). Is there an investment cutoff where it makes more sense to do one or the other?
            5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
            5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
            5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

dang, 100% on 10% is great. congratz

i think you have that mixed up. with traditional ira, you pay taxes when you withdraw. with roth, you pay taxes now (that is, you cant deduct anything), so you get to forego paying taxes later when you withdraw. say you put 3k in the ira in 2011, you'll deduct that 3k on your 2011 1040. so you paid income tax on it when you earned it through work, but you get it back on your tax return.

a general rule of thumb people will give you is if you think you'll be in a higher tax bracket when you retire, to go with the roth since you wont be taxed later, and vice versa if you think youll be in a lower bracket. but its a crap shoot guess. since the 401k works a lot like the traditional ira in that it defers taxes to when you withdraw, i go with the roth.

really you're good either way though. or, it doesnt matter cause the US is about to default and im gonna get eaten cause i dont have a gun to protect myself
              can we please have a moment for silence for those who died from black on black violence

Comment

also there are limitations, i dont remember the one for traditional, but for roth you cant contribute anything if your AGI is over 105k.. traditional is somewhere above that but less than 200k

Comment

But also take into account the time value of money - putting more in now (aka getting it taxed later) will grow a lot more than putting in less now (getting it taxed now). But, then taxes will be higher later since there's more money
                  Pandagirl!

(ph)>12 is just right

In the most dangerous game...warping will only prolong your defeat. ?go warpwars -Chao <ER>
                  1:Chao <ER>> what the FUCK?
                  1:Chao <ER>> I just adverted and no one came
                  1:Chao <ER>> at all
                  1:Mantra-Slider> chao
                  1:Mantra-Slider> you are in the wrong arena
                  Panda <ZH>> ?find chao <ER>
                  Chao <ER> - hero

Comment

Buy ammo,water, and toilet paper.

2012, etc.

Seriously tho -- illya has the right advice going there for ya FoR.
                    Fuck it.

Comment

y ilya not in charge of taking america out of debt instead of obama and boehner, allow da tittyville party 2 lead this nation
                      1:Rasaq> i scrub really hard with toilet paper so little pieces of it get stuck to my anus hair and then later on when im watching tv i like to pull them out slowly because it feels pretty good

1:Mutalisk> heard that n1111ga okyo got some DSLs

Paradise> No names but there's actually a black man in the arena right now.

Jones> MAAAAN1111GA UCHIHA

Paradise> NO NAMES. NOT A SINGLE NAME.....but 3/6 of the players on Force are of a certain descent. I will not go any further.

Comment

I bet Sarah McTits accepts his friend request if/when he becomes president.
                        Fuck it.

Comment

Originally posted by Soup du Jour View Post
                          What about for Canadians?
                          get a job in the public sector or get fucking shit on. not really, kind of.
                          it makes me sick when i think of it, all my heroes could not live with it so i hope you rest in peace cause with us you never did

Comment

It doesn't matter because that money will be seized by Chinese debt collectors in 5 days.
                            Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                            sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

If what ilya says doesnt work, get a gun.

Comment

Working...
                              X