Infinite acceleration?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infinite acceleration?!

Whenever anything moves from rest it must have infinite acceleration, as there is a point where it moves from zero velocity to some velocity (at which the acceleration must be infinite).

Does anyone have any idea how this can be explained? (I have an idea myself, but I dont want to influence other peoples ideas especially if im wrong )

The same thing applies when to objects hit one another. If a fly flew into the windscreen of your car, it must change direction, and therefore be stationary at one point in time, and as it is now connected to the car surely it must have temporally stopped too. However in this case the fly is squashed, so it will not all change direction at once. What is the last thing that goes through a fly's mind when it hits your windscreen? Its arse

If you're going to get down that far you're not dealing with classical mechanics anymore. I could probably dredge up some half baked quantum mechanics explanation, but that's not really my field, and I'm not sure it's the answer you're looking for. Anyone who's got more physics under their belt care to take a crack at this?

Comment

I'm confused as why it must have infinite acceleration. Have you taken any calc?

Comment

i know what you mean but,
        shit i dunno

heres my answer:
        Infinite Acceleration, (according to general relativity) has the effect of dilating time. a photon undergoing infinite acceleration/deceleration would 'experience' no elapsed time on a journey of any spatial length. at infinite acceleration you can travel anywhere in no time, just as you can be transported anywhere while experiencing the infinite acceleration...

blah blah

Comment

Originally posted by Verthanthi
          I'm confused as why it must have infinite acceleration. Have you taken any calc?
          5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
          5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
          5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Seems to me like any type of acceleration will suffice. Mathematically (which I know isn't an explanation but it's close enough) you don't multiply the acceleration by the velocity (0), you multiply it by the time period (not 0).

Comment

I assumed he was reffering to the fact that in a perfectly elastic "hard"(no warping of either object or wall) collision, an object moves from x velocity to x velocity in the opposite direction over time approaches 0 giving it infinite acceleration. If it's just moving from rest it doesn't have to have infinite acceleration.

Just because I can't remember, anyone familiar with how the probability barrier in electron tunneling works? It has something to do with 2 areas of high electron density seperated by a wall of zero density, or an uncertainty curve that drops below the zero energy barrier.

Or something...

Comment

Re: Infinite acceleration?!

Originally posted by !cER
                Whenever anything moves from rest it must have infinite acceleration, as there is a point where it moves from zero velocity to some velocity (at which the acceleration must be infinite).
                No. The acceleration is not infinite.

-RR

Comment

Does anyone have any idea how this can be explained? (I have an idea myself, but I dont want to influence other peoples ideas especially if im wrong )

The same thing applies when to objects hit one another. If a fly flew into the windscreen of your car, it must change direction, and therefore be stationary at one point in time, and as it is now connected to the car surely it must have temporally stopped too. However in this case the fly is squashed, so it will not all change direction at once. What is the last thing that goes through a fly's mind when it hits your windscreen? Its arse
                  See, nothing in life is infinite. An accelerating object needs energy to keep accelerating. And energy isnt infinite either
                  Originally posted by Acidmouse
                  pv=nrt your American you cant possibly understand anything.
                  Spiderex> gg
                  PureX> stfu newbie

Comment

an object never fully comes to rest, so there is no infinite acceleration

Comment

Originally posted by poop juice
                      an object never fully comes to rest, so there is no infinite acceleration
                      Umm? Are talking about something besides having a velocity of 0? Things have that all the time with such little uncertantity that we can ignore it. Anyway, I'm sticking with
                      Im confused as why an object must have infinite acceleration to begin moving. Have you taken any calculus?
                      Anyway, for objects turning around, the object does come to rest for a small amount of time, but the time is very small.

Comment

Things have that all the time with such little uncertantity that we can ignore it.
                        its surprising how often things people are "certain" about turn out to be wrong

Comment

If there was no friction, end, opposing energy, wall, or objects in the way on a decline.. which you will never find, then yes there will be infinite acceleration
                          Originally posted by Jeenyuss
                          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

The acceleration is not infinite. To get infinite acceleration you would need to change speed in no time.
                            The definition of acceleration is speed/time/time. or meters/seconds/seconds or meters/seconds^2.

It takes time for an object to reach relative velocity 0 to relative velocity x. Say you were at relative velocity 0, then you changed to a velocity 5 a second later. That would be an acceleration of 5m/s/s. That is to say, it took 1 seconds to get a change of 5 meters per second in speed.

When you fly into the windshield of a car and stay there, this would be considered an inelastic collision. Because velocity is a vector quanity, it has both magnitude and direction. Take this diagram

You (5m/s)----> <----- Car(10m/s)

The car would have a substantialy greater amount of kinetic energy than you would because of its greater mass and speed and so your collision with it would subtract from the velocity of the car but it would still go in your direction. You of course had to at some point have zero velocity and then negative velocity (other direction). This wasnt instantaneous either. There is another concept called impulse. It is the change in momentum ( F = mass*(V - Vi)/(T - Ti) ). The force is great on you, but the time is very small (not zero) so your acceleration is high but not infinite.

So in the end there is no such thing as infinite acceleration. It might seem that way but it isnt.

Also on a side note there is no such thing as an absolute zero velocity. There is relative zero velocity but there is always *some* kind of motion. You wouldnt even know what direction to fly in achieve no velocity because velocity is always relative to something. Take for instance the motion of the earth around the sun, you would need to counteract this to achieve zero velocity relative to the sun. You will notice the sun is moving in space also, so you would need to figure out zero velocity in comparison to the center of the milky way (most likely a black hole). Unfortunately galaxies also move in relativity to each other and so you would need to figure out what the center of the universe is (?) and achieve a zero velocity with that. Beyond that is anybody's guess but I wont go there. Also there is the movement of the atoms themselves. Unless at zero kelvin (thought to be impossible to reach) atoms will always be in motion. So there.

Comment

Let's just put a simple cap on this right now.

If you're dividing by zero, it's not infinite. It's undefined. Remember 7th grade Algebra? Think back.

Besides, I think the scientific community would probably have noticed something of this magnitude by now, were it a viable possibility, with the application of long distance space travel.
                              5:royst> i was junior athlete of the year in my school! then i got a girlfriend
                              5:the_paul> calculus is not a girlfriend
                              5:royst> i wish it was calculus

1:royst> did you all gangbang my gf or something

1:fermata> why dont you get money fuck bitches instead

Comment

Working...
                              X