Advertising in Public Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advertising in Public Schools

This is basically a what do you think thread? Recently I was in a Hanover, VA public Middle School and they had a poster advertising a movie with a scrolling marquee above it...I was taken back, but given the economical situation in that county...I guess it seemed to fit the bill.

The rest is up for discussion.
    Ну вот...

YOU GOT TOLD BY GEORGE
    jee

Comment

why not ?

-RR

Comment

I don't get the question
        Originally posted by Facetious
        edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Dk is asking your opinon of advertising in schools

Ads don't belong in schools, they're places of educational institution, not fields to sell products. Though, I've never actually seen an ad, that's probably because I live in Arkansas.

Comment

The highschool I graduated from I hear has gone ridiculously corporate. When I was there we had pepsi banners and a buncha other shit, I hear there's a lot more now.
            Mayo Inc. - We should change god's name to "Tod"... see if there's any followers. - Mattey

Comment

Originally posted by Melufa
              Dk is asking your opinon of advertising in schools

Ads don't belong in schools, they're places of educational institution, not fields to sell products.
              I think this is incorrect. We won't even get into the part about schools not being places of learning.

You yourself tell me you buy Coke at your school. Count one of advertising. Do you have Coke machines with giant Coke logos on them? That's advertising. You look at those machines, and you drink the product because chances are you only have Coke, not Pepsi. Therefore they mold your taste to Coke by being the only availavle product. Think about it.

This isn't limited to only soda. You have also told me you buy Oreos every day. I'm not sure what brand Oreos are, I think General Mills. I'm sure if you checked every sort of cookie-snack available (unless you have a vending machine, but it works on the same principle) will be the same brand. Same goes for potato chips.

Now let's talk about the people who go to school. Take a look at what they're wearing. Some people will have shirts that have sports team logos, some will have band or movie/TV logos, some will have the name of clothing brands. This is more indirect, because other people probably don't think about the actual thing being advertised on others' clothing. But if you saw someone with a cool shirt or a cool pair of jeans, you might want to say "Hey, where did you get that?" Not everyone will rush out and buy clothes from the store, but some people will at least go. That's advertising.

Advertising does exist in schools, even if the school hasn't signed a contract. But more often than not, there has been an exchange of money somewhere for the right to sell, say, Coke. And also in that contract there states that the school is not allowed to sell Pepsi products. It's competitive advertising for the important high school age group.
              Dishonor is like the scar on a tree, which time, instead of healing, only helps to enlarge.

Comment

Ah, no wonder I didn't get it, a public school is something different in england.

We don't have posters as such, but the vending machines etc have logos plastered across them and the newsletters are funded by advertising, so if it gets my old school better equipment and doesn't brainwash the kids too much then I'm all for it.
                Originally posted by Facetious
                edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Originally posted by ZeUs!!
                  Ah, no wonder I didn't get it, a public school is something different in england.

I had an inkling that might happen, but M-a cleared it up...thx bub.
                  Ну вот...

Comment

a public school is the same here isnt it?

the schools that u dont have to pay for

Comment

There was a advert at our school for smashits, and my big fat greek wedding, now its something like red nose day cus they forgot to change.
                      EvoLd> Roboqueen died again?
                      cool koen> :)
                      PRiMORDiAL> pfft
                      cool koen> not because of a bug
                      EvoLd> Lol
                      Treachery> meh
                      EvoLd> why then?
                      PubAceR> women in power dont last
                      EvoLd> LOl
                      toaster oven reviews

Comment

there was an episode of daria that was about advetising in school....a soda company had them sign a contract and they just started with vending machines then it went to posters then the walls got covered with them and more vending machines then the walls and floors were the color of the vending machines......it was crazy
                        i RdE teh soRt bUS To sHcooL

Comment

Working...
                        X