Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gaming System Comparison (X-BOX, PS2, GameCube) What's under the hood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gaming System Comparison (X-BOX, PS2, GameCube) What's under the hood?

Here are some specs I cooked up for those of you deciding between which system you'd buy. I'm trying to decide myself and did some research so I thought I'd share. Personally after discovering these specs I would go with an X-BOX. I know PS2 has games like SOCOM II: U.S. Navy SEALs. But X-BOX has games like Halo 2, Ghost Recon, Medal of Honor and Rainbow 6. I could compare games all day, but in the end the X-BOX lives up to the same amount of sweet games as PS2. As for classic games like Metroid Prime, MarioKart DoubleDash, Mario, StarFox, Zelda, 1080 Avalanche, etc.. If I really had the money I'd get the GameCube also.. just for the kid inside favorites. Whatever you choose, I'm sure you won't complain.. now you compare specs and tell me which system you'd buy. (or which system you already have) If you have both X-BOX and PS2, or an X-BOX and GameCube it would be interesting to hear how they compare. So give some input you gamers!

X-BOX:

- A media communications processor (MCP), also from Nvidia, that enables broadband connectivity, and a 10/100-Mbps (megabits per second) built-in Ethernet that allows you to use your cable modem or DSL to play games online (56K Optional)

- An NVIDIA GeForce 250-MHz graphics processing unit (GPU), delivering superior graphic performance.

- An Intel 733MHz Intel Pentium P3 processor, the most powerful CPU of any console.

- 64MB Samsung double-data-rate (DDR) SDRAM (memory)

- An internal hard drive (8 or 10 gig) [I've researched and seen both], for massive storage of game information — a first in the console gaming industry.

- CD-ROM 24x / DVD-ROM 5x

- Polygon rendering: 300 million Polygons per Second

- Resolution higher than the highest HDTV on the market

- Four game controller ports that allow easy multiplayer gaming and enable other peripherals, ranging from game pads to voice-activated headsets.

- 128-bit / Bus speed: 6.4-Gbyte/s

- The cost-of-goods-sold for Xbox is an estimated $323, including accessories (table). With a cost-to-produce in excess of the $299 retail price, the Xbox is clearly the profitless hook to entice purchases of high-margin software and accessories

- A custom 3-D audio processor that supports 256 audio channels and Dolby AC3 encoding

- 8-MB removable memory card

- HDTV support and an Expansion port

- 4.7-GB CD/DVD games

Playstation 2:

- 300MHz processor

- Dolby Digital 5.1 theater-quality sound

- RDRAM (32 MB memory)

- CD-ROM 24x / DVD-ROM 4x

- Polygon rendering: 75 million Polygons per Second

- 2 memory card slots, 2 USB ports & a FireWire port (called iLink by Sony)

- 128-bit / Bus speed: 3.2 GB per second

- Graphics Synthesizer: 150 MHz

- Up to 8 controllers (optional)

- 4.7-GB DVD/CD games / The CDs are just as susceptible to scratches and intense heat as regular audio CDs -- even more so in fact, since a scratch on a game CD can make it totally unusable

Nintendo Game Cube:

- IBM Power PC "Gekko" 485 MHz

- 0.18 micron IBM copper wire technology

- An ATI 162-MHz graphics chip, called "Flipper".

- 128-bit / Bus transfer rate: 2.6 GB per second

- Image processing functions: Fog, subpixel anti-aliasing, 8 hardware lights, alpha blending, virtual texture design, multi-texturing, bump mapping, environment mapping, MIP mapping, bilinear filtering, trilinear filtering, anisotropic filtering, real-time hardware texture decompression (S3TC), real-time decompression of display list, HW 3-line deflickering filter.

- Polygon rendering: 12 million Polygons per Second

- Memory (40MB) (24 MB 1T-SRAM, 16 MB of 100-MHz DRAM)

- Two high speed serial ports (It allow users to connect to an online network with either a Modem Adapter or a Broadband Adapter) [or maybe even both] (also connects PDAs and digital cameras and some printers)

- A high speed parallel port (for Printers, Scanners, CD burners, External hard drives, Iomega Zip removable drives, Network adapters & Tape backup drives)

- Up to 4 controllers (Wavebird wireless RF game controller [sold separately])

- Analog and digital audio/video outputs

- GameCube uses 1.5-GB proprietary optical discs with a diameter of 8 cm (3.14 inches) [compared to PlayStation2's 12 cm (4.72 inches) compact discs)

- One thing the GameCube does have over the competition is its ability to interact with the Game Boy Advance (GBA), Nintendo's handheld system. The GBA plugs directly into the GameCube's controller port to allow the two systems to communicate with select games. In May of 2003, Nintendo will release an accessory that will let you play Game Boy games on a TV, through the GameCube

Price compare

- X-BOX: $179.99 (comes with Tetris World, Starwars & a month of X-BOX Live, free along with the controller and system) [also plays DVD's and CD's]

- Playstation 2: $179.99 (comes with a playable demo disc, and one controller) [also plays DVD's and CD's]

- Nintendo GameCube: $99.99 (comes in silver, blue, gold, purple and probably some colors I havn't seen. also comes with one controller) [does not play DVD's and CD's]
    Last edited by code; 11-22-2003, 01:13 PM.

I'd get a Pink GameCube for shits and giggles
    DELETED

Comment

Hey I have a pink gamegube you ass
      Good: Your children are sexually active.
      Bad: With each other
      Worse: And your wife.

Good: Hot outdoor sex.
      Bad: Getting arrested.
      Worse: By your husband

Good: The teacher likes your son.
      Bad: Sexually.
      Worse: The techer is a he.

Good: You go home for a quickie.
      Bad: you get caught by your wife
      Worse: You're with her sister.

Comment

All depends what kind of games you are into...
        If you are an RPG/Action Adventure fan like me then ps2 is the best thing out there.
        If your into smashing pumpkins and shooting chickens out of a bazooka then Gamecube is for you.
        Lastly if you are a first person shooter freak and a microsoft fan then XBOX is for you.
        Out of all three systems the one that has the best games out there would have to be Ps2 without a question.

-Tyson
        Blood Love Overcomes Our Depressions

Comment

Originally posted by Dayz V@mp!re
          Hey I have a pink gamegube you ass

hell yeah, represent that shit
          DELETED

Comment

Ive been wanting to get a PS2 for over a year, but Im waiting for some kind of deal. I was hoping the Christmas line up of games would convince me, but I dont see more than 1-2 games Id want for each system coming out in Dec/Jan. As it looks I might end up getting a GameCube just because its cheap and I enjoy fun multi player games with huge replayability like Mariokart.

And btw, my friend got Final Fantasy X2 and my God it has characters and dialogue aimed at 12 year old girls. I watched him play for 3 hours and I couldnt stand watching 3 female characters run around saying "poohie" and "aww shucks". This one aspect of the game is enough for me to give it like a 6 or 7 instead of an 8 or 9. When are they going to start coming out with RPG's for a more adult audience? There doesnt have to be sex, but at least some partial nudity, swearing, and real life violence.

Comment

I'm still trying to get through the fact to my parents that having a PS2 will help me get good marks in school.
              ♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
              Failure teaches success.

Comment

Originally posted by Kim
                I'm still trying to get through the fact to my parents that having a PS2 will help me get good marks in school.
                I'm using something like "well on my freetime its better than getting into trouble, right.. and hey its even a DVD player!"

Comment

I'm actually fairly impressed with my PS2 now that I've seen how Need For Speed Underground looks on it. I thought it would look like crap, but it really looks pretty fantastic, even though it has to run in a lower res than XBOX and Gamecube.
                  5:gen> man
                  5:gen> i didn't know shade's child fucked bluednady

Comment

socom 2 is pretty good even though I can't get past the first mission ( only allows me to drop one bomb ) but Tenchu Wrath of Heaven was worth every penny I payed for my ps2
                    what the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others - Confucius

http://www.soundclick.com/scck/
                    http://www.soundclick.com/johnecarter/

Comment

Originally posted by sixtoo
                      socom 2 is pretty good even though I can't get past the first mission ( only allows me to drop one bomb ) but Tenchu Wrath of Heaven was worth every penny I payed for my ps2
                      Do you play Socom 2 online?? I wanna buy the game itself but see I have like 2 computers hooked up to the net and I have no idea how am gonna hook up ps2 and have all three of them at the same time. Anyways I heard the single player in Socom 2 sucks cause ur team merges with each other and gets stuck between the ladders or something.

-Tyson
                      Blood Love Overcomes Our Depressions

Comment

nope I don't play socom 2 online, I don't have the attachment yet, I'll get it sooner or later but right now with xmas and shit coming up I need to spend my money elsewhere :/ not to mention some hefty insurance payments... but yeah if your on a cable network, I know here in canada I can have up to 3 connections running, I imagine if you already have 2 hooked up your running the internet to the computers from a hub? I imagine you buy the network adapter for the ps2 or whatever it is, hook it up to your hub and your ready to go?

as for the single player game, its decent, like I said I can't get past the first level because of some stupid bomb I can't lay down where its supposed to be... as for your team, I usually do all my killing via sniping, and I have them hold back until I've cleared the area. Its a good game all around, other then the fact I can't even beat the first level. I haven't been playing it as much as Tenchu though, I'm too hooked.
                        what the superior man seeks is in himself; what the small man seeks is in others - Confucius

http://www.soundclick.com/scck/
                        http://www.soundclick.com/johnecarter/

Comment

Originally posted by Eric is God
                          When are they going to start coming out with RPG's for a more adult audience? There doesnt have to be sex, but at least some partial nudity, swearing, and real life violence.
                          I know it's old, but check out Parasite Eve and Parasite Eve 2. They were on the PS1. Final Fantasy 7 had more "adultish" themes in it, same with FF8.
                          DELETED

Comment

Really doesn't matter what the hardware is. The games are what matters. Personally i think PS2 is the best system cus it has by far the best games selection in my opinion. Gamecube has Metroid and xBox has Halo, but not much past that that i would be extremely interested in. I have a GameCube and PS2 and although i rarely play either anymore, i still think PS2 is far superior.

Comment

But can you play Goldeneye on a PS2?
                              Originally posted by Facetious
                              edit: (Money just PMed me his address so I can go to Houston and fight him)

Comment

Working...
                              X