Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SS for Mac?

Anyway to get it for a Mac?

I recently aquired one. Very nice, besides the lack of games, I don't see what's so bad about them.
    Originally posted by Jeenyuss
    sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
    Anyway to get it for a Mac?

I recently aquired one. Very nice, besides the lack of games, I don't see what's so bad about them.
    You said it yourself, the bad thing is the lack of compatability with the majority of software.
    USS Banana after years of superior jav play has amassed 17999 kills, he is 1 kill away from 18k, Type ?go Javs FOR A GAME OF HUNT (no scorereset) -Kim
    ---A few minutes later---
    9:cool koen> you scorereseted
    9:Kim> UM
    9:Kim> i didn't
    9:cool koen> hahahahahahaha
    9:ph <ZH>> LOOOOL
    9:Stargazer <ER>> WHO FUCKING SCORERESET
    9:pascone> lol?

Comment

partition a drive and install linux and windows - problem solved

Comment

DTF: http://forums.trenchwars.org/showthread.php?t=11849

SuSE: Bzzt. Wrongy. Macs support native disk images, and that's what emulators use, you don't have to partition anything. But that still requires the stuff listed in the thread above. Even if you had linux, there isn't really still a linux client except for the one Snrrrbspace or what not.

Ewan: If Darwine is ever finished for OS X, it'll be a happy day, seeing as how you could then run windows applications natively (not emulated), just like with WINE for Linux. Also there are multitudes of ways to run PC software on a macintosh, the problem isn't emulating and running anything, it's that stuff runs so much better when it runs native. And there are plenty of things out there, games and such, native for OS X especially.

By the way DTF, what kind of Mac did you get? What OS do you have on it?
        I've got a little G4 500Mhz Cube, 8 inches square of supercomputer.
        If you have OS X Panther installed I bet you spent a good 10 minutes just rolling the mouse back and forth across the dock (Dock>? hehe) watching it magnify. I know I did.
        "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

brand new iMac 20"

80 GB HD
          750+ RAM
          1.25 GHZ (It may seem little, but on the Macs it is much different.)
          Superdrive
          Radeon 9600 Pro
          Originally posted by Jeenyuss
          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

i'm poor so i buy a normal computer and then i load it up wit lots of memory and a good graphics card thingy
            9:Everett> well with pascone in -f-, our squad standards just experienced a decrease of 150%

Comment

Originally posted by Ewan
              You said it yourself, the bad thing is the lack of compatability with the majority of software.

not to mention the absurd price. i cant justify paying $2000+ for eye candy that just checks email.

Comment

No.. not bad at all. Very nice in fact.
                With a 1.25 Ghz G4, you need to get a copy of the Mac version of Halo.
                You'll be able to run it very nicely indeed with that set up.
                And if you're looking for any game at all for it... well.. I might be able to help you a little there if you like First Person Shooters.
                Years before Bungie gave the world Halo...
                They were making games for the Mac.. and they made a series of three first person shooters, called: Marathon, Marathon: Durandal, and Marathon: Infinity. Old Bungie fans know these as some of the most awesome FPS that were put out at the time (Halo in fact is made in the same universe as Marathon, and is an unspecified amount of years in the future from the Marathon setting). When Microsoft bought Bungie, Bungie did a favor for all their fans, and released the Marathon stuff to Open Source, as a gift. Since then, people have made a port of the code that will run on OS X, Linux, Windows, etc.. called Aleph One (the theoretical number that comes after Infinity). The main problem with this is that it's hard to find the maps and such game files for the games from so long ago, and if you're interested, I'll see if I can't hook you up.

Vantage: Everything you can run on a PC, you can run on a Macintosh. It's that simple. Also a new iMac doesn't run 2000 unless you go very big, like DTF's. It starts at 1299, and an eMac (same as iMac except CRT instead of flatscreen monitor) is 799-999. Even the iBook, the laptop starts at just over 1000. If you think all OS X is good for is checking email, you are sadly misinformed.
                Last edited by Sarien; 06-07-2004, 07:31 PM.

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
                  Bzzt. Wrongy. Macs support native disk images, and that's what emulators use, you don't have to partition anything. But that still requires the stuff listed in the thread above. Even if you had linux, there isn't really still a linux client except for the one Snrrrbspace or what not.
                  par·ti·tion n.

1. The act or process of dividing something into parts.
                  2. The state of being so divided.

1. Something that divides or separates, as a wall dividing one room or cubicle from another.
                  2. A wall, septum, or other separating membrane in an organism.
                  3. A part or section into which something has been divided.
                  4. Division of a country into separate, autonomous nations.
                  5. Mathematics.
                  1. An expression of a positive integer as a sum of positive integers.
                  2. The decomposition of a set into a family of disjoint sets.
                  6. Computer Science. A section of storage space on a hard disk.
                  7. Law. Division of property, especially real estate.

I said Linux and Windows, not just Linux. If you're going to have two popular OSs, you may as well go ahead and get a third.

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
                    No.. not bad at all. Very nice in fact.
                    With a 1.25 Ghz G4, you need to get a copy of the Mac version of Halo.
                    You'll be able to run it very nicely indeed with that set up.
                    And if you're looking for any game at all for it... well.. I might be able to help you a little there if you like First Person Shooters.
                    Years before Bungie gave the world Halo...
                    They were making games for the Mac.. and they made a series of three first person shooters, called: Marathon, Marathon: Durandal, and Marathon: Infinity. Old Bungie fans know these as some of the most awesome FPS that were put out at the time (Halo in fact is made in the same universe as Marathon, and is an unspecified amount of years in the future from the Marathon setting). When Microsoft bought Bungie, Bungie did a favor for all their fans, and released the Marathon stuff to Open Source, as a gift. Since then, people have made a port of the code that will run on OS X, Linux, Windows, etc.. called Aleph One (the theoretical number that comes after Infinity). The main problem with this is that it's hard to find the maps and such game files for the games from so long ago, and if you're interested, I'll see if I can't hook you up.

Vantage: Everything you can run on a PC, you can run on a Macintosh. It's that simple. Also a new iMac doesn't run 2000 unless you go very big, like DTF's. It starts at 1299, and an eMac (same as iMac except CRT instead of flatscreen monitor) is 799-999. Even the iBook, the laptop starts at just over 1000. If you think all OS X is good for is checking email, you are sadly misinformed.
                    no offence, Mac is eye candy. You yourself have said u have trouble running SS.

Sorry, if you have trouble running the most basic .exe game, I am not convinced.

Not all programs will run on a Mac but i agree, most will. If you decide to compare 2 computers (mac vs. pc) you will find that Pc's have better value.

If you dont believe me, compare the new AMD 64 to the g5. Two g5 processors (@ 2.0ghz) cannot beat one single 3000+ AMD chip. Sad but true.

EDIT: i just checked the Mac's specs... emacs have a 32mb video card... AND they carry a $800+ price tag.. btw, it comes with 256 mb memory and a 40 gb harddrive. pretty shitty considering i can get a Dell (i said dell) for cheaper.

imac's have a blistering ATI 9000 @ 64 mb. starting @ $1300

No offence, but its not worth it. Only idiots who believe in the "blue screen of death" get mac's.

For $1000 i can get a 19" CRT monitor, 3000+ AMD 64, 512mb of ddr ram, 120 gb harddrive, and a ATI 9800 Pro that also supports more programs than u can shake a stick at. Now tell me. Whats better?
                    Last edited by Vantage; 06-07-2004, 08:44 PM.

Comment

You know as well as I do that you didn't mean partition as just meaning "part out" you meant to dedicate chunks of his hard drive to varied operating systems, and it's really not necessary. The emulation I was referring to was for Windows, not linux.. if you haven't heard, OS X was built off Free BSD.
                      And for the windows you don't have to set up any partitions, your emulator will make a drive image that contains your Windows file structure etc.

Yes, I have trouble running Continuum not because "it is the most basic executable" but because I won't plague my nice mac with a copy of Windows and emulating it, when I have a Windows machine sitting right next to it. No reason to, I just want a native OS X Continuum client because I like my Macintosh much better. My PC is chock filled with games, my Mac is my serious computer.

Do you own both? Do you regularly use both? How much knowhow actually do you have of a Macintosh? There are reasons why Windows based machines have better value according to you, and that's because pretty much any company with the knowhow can just strike up and make PC hardware. With Apple it's a lot more serious than that, and things have to be licensed and ensured that they will work. You don't see hardly any person with an Apple computer complain that they just bought such and such hardware for their mac, and they can't get it to work right.

Again, about the video card, Macs do more with less than you might imagine. That 32 meg video card will run Halo on that Macintosh more than fine. As a matter of fact the requirements on Halo Mac I do believe are just.. a Geforce 2 or better.

For your comparison, here's another study besides the one on AMD's website that shows the G5 and Opteron run fairly close.. they beat each other out in different tests for different things.
                      http://www.barefeats.com/g5op.html

No dude, not "only idiots" buy macs, you are sincerely and desperately misinformed. The publishing business of the world pretty much is a solid lock down of Mac computers being preferred, and there are people that now want a viable GUI (The Mac Finder) tied to the abilities of Free BSD. We could go on and on for days, but while I'm saying they each have their high points, you're the only one that says only idiots that believe in the "blue screen of death" buy a Mac. You are wrong, by a longshot.

Reinstate Me.

Comment

Virtual PC - lets you run windows while on a mac.

Me and my friend have been experimenting with it. So if you absolutly love ss and have a mac buy VPC it's cheap i believe. I love Virtual Pc but our Technology Admin. Hates it haha they "believe" its impossible.. bla bla
                        We just don't tell them :up:

1:delta> personally, i would not go to war for oil
                        1:FarScape> in age of empires you would
                        1:Freeze> LOL FAR
                        ---
                        5:waven> freeze
                        5:waven> no one talks to ease directly
                        5:waven> you state your business with sanji
                        5:waven> he will relay it to phizey
                        5:waven> phizey will relay it to me
                        5:waven> and i will talk to ease
                        5:Freeze> LOL
                        5:waven> that's how things work around here
                        --
                        1:renzi> freeze theres difference between being wasted and being a waste

Comment

really... mac is just designed for people who run basic apps.

and it is expensive.

and it sux.

Comment

It's a damn shame WINE doesn't like Continuum.
                            6:megaman89> im 3 league veteran back off

Originally posted by Dreamwin
                            3 league vet

Comment

I don't like Mac's because when something is wrong with your computer(in the monitor thingy)-good luck
                              AKA Shaun
                              ----------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X