No announcement yet.

SS for Mac?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I used to totally hate macs, but osX has changed my opinion of them. They're still overpriced with defaults (like the default 1 button mouse) aimed at people who dont demand much, but if you ever need to do video editing, final cut pro and avid totally blow away adobe's offerings for the pc. I use that at school, so price isn't an issue, but as my major really doesn't focus that much on digital video editing, it would be hard for me to justify that much money for something that would essentially have one use my pc lacks.

But then again, I think familiarity with the pc is what makes it more efficent for me, not neccesarily poor design of mac software (though having the up and down scroll bar buttons both at the bottom is mega counter intuitive).
    SIGNATURE PROTEST: KEEP THE SHORT FFS

Comment

To be honest, Macs and IBM-Compatible PCs are converging.

PRE-OSX, Mac sucked. It crashed alot, the GUI was annoying, etc. OS X actually is the greatest thing to ever happen to Mac. Even now though, the hardware is pitiful. A crippled Power4 processor? Ugh. I'd go Athlon64 any day...I use an Athlon 2200+ 'w 640mb of ram and a BFG GFFX 5900XT OC right now and it runs great, and the OPEN PLATFORM makes it easy to upgrade and find parts.

I use Linux daily at home, and except for playing games, it works great. A working Linux SS client would keep me in Linux continually, but I don't see that happening. However, I have to say that my year-and-a-half old installation of Windows 2000 Pro also works great as well, it has never crashed or given me any problems during that entire time.

Comment

Good for you crazi. I like the way you brought out your points and then justified it. You did however forget just a few things, especially with OS X.

Development: with the -regular- OS disks starting with OS X 10.3 (Panther) you have a CD that includes Xcode. Command line and GUI development tools, for C, C++, Cocoa, Quartz, Carbon, the whole bit, even including X11 development structure bundled right along with your basic OS. Would Windows ever do this, or even consider it? No. Why? Because the can charge for it.

Specs: Apple has always underspecced things. It's a marketing gimic, and a damn clever and good one. Why do you think Apple users can be fanatics? Apple releases docs that say "this hardware is designed to do this that and this at this rate of performance" Then when people really push the limits and find out it goes even further, they're impressed that the whatever is better than what they thought originally. PC open markets that hairygroin talked about does precisely the opposite.. you have 10,000,000 manufacturers all offering what they say is the latest and greatest widget that can perform X thing the fastest, and if you push it up to that much of a strain, well.. things start being not good.

Originally posted by Benno
        But then again, I think familiarity with the pc is what makes it more efficent for me, not neccesarily poor design of mac software (though having the up and down scroll bar buttons both at the bottom is mega counter intuitive).
        System Preferences -> Appearance
        Middle of the page: Place scroll arrows at top and bottom.

Originally posted by Hairygroin
        PRE-OSX, Mac sucked.
        I've been a mac user since 1993ish, and have used Apple computers all the way back to the IIc, IIe, and the IIgs. I never had a problem with OS 7.5 crashing, on my Classic II (that I used until 1999 btw), the GUI was annoying? Personal Preference. I loved it.

Are Macs and PCs converging? Only of sorts, and not because anyone in Redmond actually wants it to happen. All the projects in development right now, including Darwine (offering WINE and windows binary compatibility with OS X), and various other cross platform ideas, are goading it along, but look for it to be a one sided venture, with the Macintosh being able to absorb PC garbage, and not vice versa. i personally believe that Microsoft has no intention of releasing a version of VPC that has hardware acceleration until someone like Darwine nears finishing, so they can jump in ahead and maybe make some cash, before it becomes free to everyone.

You might be able to buy a super duper AMD 64 for less than a 2.5 Ghz Dual G5, but fact is, you get what you pay for, and in the world of the windows gamer, give it a couple years and you're gonna be hurting for something new. In the world of the Macintosh and its specialties, however, you might want something new and spiffy and bright.. but it'll last you until you run the fucking thing into the ground, or you decide to walk away from it.
        "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

I've had my Mac for a Month now and I couldn't be happier. I have a gaming PC in my room, but I don't use it much anymore. I haven't played SS since I got my iMac. This iMac has made my music and movie editing capabilities greatly increase for a much lower price. I recieved a copy of Final Cut Express for my Birthday and I love it. The default program Garageband has allowed me to jam out and record easily, with many cool effects. It is totally user friendly and a great buy.

That's all I have to say about that.
          Originally posted by Jeenyuss
          sometimes i thrust my hips so my flaccid dick slaps my stomach, then my taint, then my stomach, then my taint. i like the sound.

Comment

Originally posted by DoTheFandango
            Anyway to get it for a Mac?

I recently aquired one. Very nice, besides the lack of games, I don't see what's so bad about them.
            Ure Crazy Man.....But i think i Like ya
            Originally posted by Tone
            Women who smoke cigarettes are sexy, not repulsive. It depends on the number smoked. less is better

Comment

Originally posted by Sarien
              awesome Mac
              Code:
              1:Pred_FNM <ER>> guys, yellow + green is really shitty for forumcolours :p
              1:lnx> what's wrong with that combination
              1:lnx> I wear yellow-green clothes :(
              1:Pred_FNM <ER>> i dont mean in clothes, in forums..
              1:lnx> kk
              1:lnx> buy a black-white computer monitor if you don't like the colors foo

Comment

Thanks... I like it.. but I haven't been using it much since I got my new Macintosh in.

I'm running out of table space. My Athlon, the little Cube, and the Quicksilver all sitting up here. Been contemplating what to do with the Cube, and I'm probably either going to give it to my brother or my best friend.
                The difference in specs between the two Macs:
                The Cube:
                PowerPC G4 @ 500 Mhz, 384 Meg RAM, Upgraded to a Geforce 2 MX 64 MB video card, 30 gig hard drive, DVD-Rom Drive.
                The Quicksilver:
                Dual PowerPC G4 Processors @ 1Ghz each, 1 Gig RAM, Geforce 4 MX 64 MB video card, 80 gig hard drive, DVD Burner
                "Sexy" Steve Mijalis-Gilster, IVX

Reinstate Me.

Comment

:up:
                  Code:
                  1:Pred_FNM <ER>> guys, yellow + green is really shitty for forumcolours :p
                  1:lnx> what's wrong with that combination
                  1:lnx> I wear yellow-green clothes :(
                  1:Pred_FNM <ER>> i dont mean in clothes, in forums..
                  1:lnx> kk
                  1:lnx> buy a black-white computer monitor if you don't like the colors foo

Comment

My friend is crazy about Linux and Mac since they have high stability and the don't have much problems with spyware and crap. This question has been asked before :/

:|

Comment

Working...
                    X