Mines & Lag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone see the "terr-mine" trick?

Place mines anywhere on the map, then have a terr fly into them and warp at the last instant.

The mines will explode, but the terr will not. (well from what I remember this was the deal with ss1.35, not sure if they fixed it now)

Comment

Originally posted by Annux

Place mines anywhere on the map, then have a terr fly into them and warp at the last instant.

The mines will explode, but the terr will not. (well from what I remember this was the deal with ss1.35, not sure if they fixed it now)
      Don't know why don't we try it?
      TWLD Champion 'Season 11'
      TWLD Champion 'Season 14'
      Trench Wars Veteran

Comment

One other thing I've noticed when playing with another Shark is that when one of our mines explodes but remains after the explosion, if the mine disappears on the screen of the shark that laid the mine, he could lay another one to take its place. Both mines will register on some computers however (including, I believe, the server). What this does is in effect give that shark 5 mines (of which, one of them won't exist to some people) when the regular ship limit is 4 (I don't know why, but some people seem surprised when told that it's 4). This "phantom mine" will however take up one slot of the freq's mine limit (once again, many are surprised to learn that a freq may only have 8 mines at any one time), effectively limiting the second shark to only 3 mines. The rare occasion does occur when a shark has 2 "phantom mines", giving him 6 and limiting his partner to 2.

Things get even worse when you factor in levi mines or a third shark.

Comment

Yes Troll that is very true. I've heard of that.
          TWLD Champion 'Season 11'
          TWLD Champion 'Season 14'
          Trench Wars Veteran

Comment

Yep, I've been in situations on a team where there's only one other shark, with 8 apparent mines due to some horrible lag thing, and I can't lay any. That's annoying as hell, but the explanations already cover it, as far as I know. I just wanted to add my two cents about the most annoying thing ever...when you're mining, and an enemy flies by in close quarters, hits your mine (on your screen) and doesn't die, but your own explosion takes you down to 0 energy and you drift around for a second, helpless, and get picked off by a spider. I fucking hate that. Overall, however, shark is clearly the best ship in the game.
            The downside of being better than
            everyone else is that people tend to
            assume you're pretentious. -
            www.despair.com

Comment

Originally posted by General Malaise
              I just wanted to add my two cents about the most annoying thing ever...when you're mining, and an enemy flies by in close quarters, hits your mine (on your screen) and doesn't die, but your own explosion takes you down to 0 energy and you drift around for a second, helpless, and get picked off by a spider. I fucking hate that. Overall, however, shark is clearly the best ship in the game.
              Are you blaming this on lag, or just ranting on about its annoyingness?

Comment

My thoughts

Originally posted by Annux

I don't think they can fix it, as I think it is just the result of lag. Every action on your computer takes X milliseconds to register on everyone else's screen/computer.

So if a terrier warps just before hitting a mine, everyone realises too late - and sees the terrier hit the mine.. and the mine disappears.

Comment

I (ab)use that trick sometimes .... It works great when a leviathan places a mine in the FR entrance.

Comment

Still works. S'just one of the tricks of the trade.
                    gravy_: They should do great gran tourismo
                    gravy_: Electric granny chariots
                    gravy_: round the nurburgring

XBL: VodkaSurprise

Comment

And it's not like it's an unstoppable tactic either. If a defence leaves an enemy terr alone long enough to do that, then they have bigger problems to worry about than 1 mine.
                      Last edited by Troll King; 09-16-2002, 07:15 PM.

Comment

dont u love it when your flying next to some laggy ass WARBIRD and although you take care to dodge the mines, it lags right thru and you blow up, then about ten seconds later on freq chat you see "wow, gophar just spontaneously combusted!"
                        Ripper>cant pee with a hard on
                        apt>yes u can wtf
                        apt>you need to clear the pipes after a nice masturbation
                        apt>i just put myself in a wierd position
                        apt>so i dont miss the toilet
                        Ripper>but after u masterbaition it usually goes down
                        apt>na
                        apt>ill show you pictures
                        apt>next time I masturbate

Comment

Happens to me all the time. I always take care around mines and so I always hang around mines to long.
                          You ate some priest porridge

Comment

Nah gopher... worse is when they do that just as you're about to repel those same mines.

Comment

Or you just skillfully passed them as ter and you are about to be safe in flagroom
                              You ate some priest porridge

Comment

... I think lag just makes everything that much more amusing.

I've had an all out assault coming at me and then one guy runs through all the mines -- and takes out the team. I do love the 'spontanious combustion' though. Shoot someone... wait a few seconds. BANG. Find I often have that happen with bursts...

Comment

Working...
                                X