Shark gameplay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shark gameplay

So sharking has some uses, the main being in basing, blocking off flagroom entrance(s). Sometimes you have guys blocking the main tunnel going up into mid. Used to have that a lot back when everyone spawned outside. Shark can also be very useful for LT support, blocking off paths, extra rep protection, repping killed levs back to safe zone for greening.

But sometimes you encounter a really good shark in mid killing warbirds and other ships. You think you have a sure fire kill and are perhaps a bit overzealously engaging, but the guy skillfully moves, lays a mine a reps you into it and it's too late to escape, he trapped you.

I kinda realized one thing that prohibits me engaging in that type of gameplay (taking on other ships in mid as a shark), is the fact that you can't reset your mines without having to ship change. It requires more of a trial and error and liberal use of mines. But then your plan fails, he doesn't fly into your mines, now that you've laid them, people avoid them and they stay there, you're handicapped now, ship change.

This is made worse now, now that you lose stuff if you ship change back and forth. 3 reps for starters? Lose 2. Also wait for you energy to slowly recharge. Sucks. Sets you back and breaks up your effort. Definitely not nice if you've got lots of people playing and you immediately get attacked when spawning.

Just some thoughts.

Also I think losing buys at new round start is bs. I've been after LTs cause the game isn't very active and they can destroy a good basing game going and then pub bleeds out again. But then I lose my antiwarp buy at round start wtf. I can't remember, I think anti is quite cheap now, but I still think it's bs. (I have to unlearn not buying portals 'cause they used to be very expensive and are hella cheap now.) It used to be that the antiwarp guy had to be taken out.

Came up with a compromise: two free "fast" shipchanges. After that the current behavior kicks in.

It only takes your items if you change ships within the amount of time that it would take to respawn. People were abusing this a bit for an easy refresh. For example, javs with rockets.
    "You're a gentleman," they used to say to him. "You shouldn't have gone murdering people with a hatchet; that's no occupation for a gentleman."
    -Dostoevsky's Crime and Punishment

Comment

Working...
    X